Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:58pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:11am
oliver wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 9:53am

I joke but TBH, I'd kind of like to see Leeds promoted because I do like Bielsa. I grew up with my Dad telling me stories of the Chelsea/Leeds rivalry but it was a different era so it was never as intense for me.

One of my first football memories was Chelsea beating Leeds 5-0 to get promotion in 84/85 and the Leeds fans in the away end destroying the electronic scoreboard. It never worked right after that.
I'm sure i read the history behind the leeds-chelsea rivalry but I've forgotten it and it remains a bit of a mystery to me. I actually turned up at the bridge in 1991, heading blithely for the shed end in my yellow leeds away kit until one of my companions produced a shirt and commanded me to cover the damn thing up for fucks sake! Carl Shutt scored only goal of the game which i barely saw as the shed was so far back from the goal.

Even as a fan notwithstanding, its just crazy a one club city like leeds is languishing outside the top. Just hardly makes no sense at all. Bielsa might be the key, but we've been down this road before!
I went to Elland Road once as a United supporter 😳
Welcome to (H)elland Road 😈
Outside of my days in lower leagues following Oxford United next worse experience!!!
My second last visit to leeds was a cup match v united, 2010, Michael Owen got 2 i think, or maybe 3, forget now. On the way in, i noticed a big group of committed looking home fans gathered by the roundabout just where the coachpark was for the United fans to enter. A few minutes later i looked back and it was all kicking off, but there seemed more cops than fans so it petered out pretty quickly. Tame by the standards of yore.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 5:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:58pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:11am

I'm sure i read the history behind the leeds-chelsea rivalry but I've forgotten it and it remains a bit of a mystery to me. I actually turned up at the bridge in 1991, heading blithely for the shed end in my yellow leeds away kit until one of my companions produced a shirt and commanded me to cover the damn thing up for fucks sake! Carl Shutt scored only goal of the game which i barely saw as the shed was so far back from the goal.

Even as a fan notwithstanding, its just crazy a one club city like leeds is languishing outside the top. Just hardly makes no sense at all. Bielsa might be the key, but we've been down this road before!
I went to Elland Road once as a United supporter 😳
Welcome to (H)elland Road 😈
Outside of my days in lower leagues following Oxford United next worse experience!!!
My second last visit to leeds was a cup match v united, 2010, Michael Owen got 2 i think, or maybe 3, forget now. On the way in, i noticed a big group of committed looking home fans gathered by the roundabout just where the coachpark was for the United fans to enter. A few minutes later i looked back and it was all kicking off, but there seemed more cops than fans so it petered out pretty quickly. Tame by the standards of yore.
Yep there was that big parking area walking distance to ground, nowhere to hide. I think I went by car but we definitely parked in that coach park.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FYI, I think I read Belarus and some South American countries are still playing soccer ball matches, if anyone needs a fix this weekend (and can find a tv stream).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 8:13pm
FYI, I think I read Belarus and some South American countries are still playing soccer ball matches, if anyone needs a fix this weekend (and can find a tv stream).
Thanks although I think SA have pulled the pin?
Copa America cancelled.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 8:40pm
Flex wrote:
Copa America cancelled.
There are matches in Australia and Singapore today also and my friendly local bookie is kindly offering me odds on the Angolan Girabola. I'm not that hard up yet but cold turkey could soon be kicking in!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
Copa America cancelled.
The Copa has been canceled but some SA leagues are still playing. Right now Argentina, Honduras and El Salvador leagues all seem to have matches scheduled (and maybe more, that was just a quick scan of livesoccertv).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 8:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
Copa America cancelled.
There are matches in Australia and Singapore today also and my friendly local bookie is kindly offering me odds on the Angolan Girabola. I'm not that hard up yet but cold turkey could soon be kicking in!
Unfortunately the Wellington Phoenix are still playing in the Australian A league but I’d rather watch kids down the park.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 8:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
Copa America cancelled.
Unfortunately the Wellington Phoenix are still playing in the Australian A league but I’d rather watch kids down the park.
That doesn’t read as I intended 😂

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

This Newcastle takeover debate is really interesting.
I’d suggest despite human rights issues connected to the Saudi’s the future and proper’ to own an EPL club sailed long ago when Abramovich bought Chelsea or you could argue never actually existed as the clubs were originally owned by some very dubious ‘wealthy families’ (read up on Louis Edwards who owned Man Utd back in the day).
But now BEIN Sports who invest half a billion dollars in EPL in exchange for TV rights are asking the question how you can allow the biggest piracy company who broadcast EPL for free to own a club?
No doubt money will win.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Bundesliga (2nd best league in the world by my standards) back May 9 (hopefully!).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 11:33pm
Hello,

Bundesliga (2nd best league in the world by my standards) back May 9 (hopefully!).
How will that work?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Ghost games - no spectators. I believe they only need 332 people to run the games.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 1:31am
Hello,

Ghost games - no spectators. I believe they only need 332 people to run the games.
As much as I am missing my football I am not sure this is the right thing to do?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 2:46am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

As much as I am missing my football I am not sure this is the right thing to do?
I'm surprised it's +300 people per game TBH but anything non-essential that could potentially bring extra burden to a health system seems a little premature.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

oliver wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 8:04am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 2:46am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I'm surprised it's +300 people per game TBH but anything non-essential that could potentially bring extra burden to a health system seems a little premature.
Hello,

Germany appears to have handled this better than most. From what I've read, there are approaching the downside of the curve.