Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 1:59pm
Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 1:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:48pm
523AE8B7-A789-49E1-BA69-F02BBACFB6FA.jpeg

Mono version of Meet the Beatles is an absolutely skull crushing recording. Especially when listen on headphones. Even the slow songs are really loud. I’m not complaining.
I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so disorienting.
I picked up a copy of The U.S. Albums a few years back. I was drawn to it because growing up when I listened to The Beatles, I listened to my dad's Capitol vinyl. It was a bit disorientating when I grew up and discovered the original UK releases. I've accepted those as the definitive versions, but still have a fondness for Meet the Beatles, Beatles VI, and so on. Each disc is in stereo and mono, but I seldom (if ever) listen to the stereo versions.
The panning is just so weird, and it makes me dizzy in headphones or in the car. It really turned me off getting into them for years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid »

About 15 years ago, I really got into Beatles CD trading. Specifically, needle drops from the original vinyl. There was a guy who went by the name of Dr. Ebbetts who did needle drops of pretty much every variation of every album. This was back before EMI remastered anything and the needle drops sounded way better than what was officially released. They still sound really good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 2:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Mono version of Meet the Beatles is an absolutely skull crushing recording. Especially when listen on headphones. Even the slow songs are really loud. I’m not complaining.
I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so disorienting.
I picked up a copy of The U.S. Albums a few years back. I was drawn to it because growing up when I listened to The Beatles, I listened to my dad's Capitol vinyl. It was a bit disorientating when I grew up and discovered the original UK releases. I've accepted those as the definitive versions, but still have a fondness for Meet the Beatles, Beatles VI, and so on. Each disc is in stereo and mono, but I seldom (if ever) listen to the stereo versions.
The panning is just so weird, and it makes me dizzy in headphones or in the car. It really turned me off getting into them for years.
Fake stereo (for the most part), I believe.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

The Capitol mono's sound great. I also prefer the artwork on the majority of the US versions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Fake stereo versions of I Feel Fine and She's A Woman from Beatles '65 are some of the worst sounding recordings I've ever heard.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

For the best part of those stereo mixes you are correct. I remember an interview that Pete Townshend gave back in the day where he described the Beatles stereo albums as "flipping lousy" and this is when I first noticed just how poor they are. They should have them all remixed at Abbey Road. I'm sure all the tracks exist. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 2:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

The Capitol mono's sound great. I also prefer the artwork on the majority of the US versions.
I was just reading an article on the band's US releases and the author mentioned that they always had poorly designed covers on Capitol. I disagree. They had some great looking artwork. Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Something New are fantastic. Beatles '65 & Beatles VI are merely okay, but by no means awful. US version of AHDN is catchy, but British version of Help! is way better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 2:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 2:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I was just reading an article on the band's US releases and the author mentioned that they always had poorly designed covers on Capitol. I disagree. They had some great looking artwork. Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Something New are fantastic. Beatles '65 & Beatles VI are merely okay, but by no means awful. US version of AHDN is catchy, but British version of Help! is way better.
Yes I agree here 100%.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 2:08pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

For the best part of those stereo mixes you are correct. I remember an interview that Pete Townshend gave back in the day where he described the Beatles stereo albums as "flipping lousy" and this is when I first noticed just how poor they are. They should have them all remixed at Abbey Road. I'm sure all the tracks exist. ;)
Exactly. Vocals and bass down the middle, guitars hard panned L/R...I assume the drums were not miked super well so we'd just be stuck with mono on those probably.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've been banging on for years about how they should remix all the Beatles stuff into normal stereo. Until they do I will stick with the mono versions. Some of the recent remixes by Giles Martin have attempted to readdress the balance but he never went far enough imo. There is no good reason any bass or drum track should be hard-panned. Drums, bass and lead vocal in the middle then fuck about all you like.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 3:29pm
I've been banging on for years about how they should remix all the Beatles stuff into normal stereo. Until they do I will stick with the mono versions. Some of the recent remixes by Giles Martin have attempted to readdress the balance but he never went far enough imo. There is no good reason any bass or drum track should be hard-panned. Drums, bass and lead vocal in the middle then fuck about all you like.
Kick and snare centered, of course, but toms and cymbals panned out relative to each other. I don't know if they just miked the whole kit with two overheads or what back then, though.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 5:08pm
Heston wrote:
Kick and snare centered, of course, but toms and cymbals panned out relative to each other. I don't know if they just miked the whole kit with two overheads or what back then, though.
Yeah totally. It will just depend on what they have.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 5:08pm
Heston wrote:
Yeah totally. It will just depend on what they have.
On the early stuff I think Ringo only played a very basic set up. Possibly a snare/floor tom/cymbal/kick drum and it feels like the whole kit was miked up with a dry sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm stuck at work, but I've been working my way through their catalog today. They were my first introduction to rock music as a young kid via my dad and after all these years and all of these listens...the music still holds up. Were they the only good band to come out of the 60's? No, but it's also become somewhat trendy to call them overrated. The Beatles were not overrated. "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" is currently playing. It's not one of their "better" tracks, but it's still a really solid piece of power pop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 5:54pm
I'm stuck at work, but I've been working my way through their catalog today. They were my first introduction to rock music as a young kid via my dad and after all these years and all of these listens...the music still holds up. Were they the only good band to come out of the 60's? No, but it's also become somewhat trendy to call them overrated. The Beatles were not overrated. "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" is currently playing. It's not one of their "better" tracks, but it's still a really solid piece of power pop.
When I've taught my rock class, I've always had students who call the Beatles overrated, but when I interrogate what they mean, it's really that their parents like them. I'm pretty "different strokes for different folks" when it comes to music, but I truly don't understand people who say they hate the Beatles.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft