Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 2:16pm
Kory wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 4:38pm
Doc, are you a fan of these guys? The remaster just came out and destroys the original CD master.

GODDAMN IT ACKNOWLEDGE MY GEODE
I'm a fan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 2:16pm
Kory wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 4:38pm
Doc, are you a fan of these guys? The remaster just came out and destroys the original CD master.

GODDAMN IT ACKNOWLEDGE MY GEODE
Totally missed this. "Sight of You" is inner circle shoegaze beauty.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Cool post from Simon Raymonde:
So, this is what Simon has twitted this evening... HOLV memories...

Cherry-coloured funk
I think the minute robin and I finished the music for this piece, we KNEW it was special. We kinda improvised our music out of nothing, and if nothing was happening, we would go bowling...but thankfully not so often during this record.
One thing I can tell you is The Weeknd sampled "Cherry-Coloured Funk" for his song "The Knowing" from House of Balloons (2011), which is very lovely of him

Pitch The Baby
beats baby...hip hop.. one that was fairly obviously inspired by the birth of Lucy Belle. Robin should take all the credit for the musical part of this song. I actually didnt like it that much at the time, but grew to realise the error of this thinking

50-50 clown
one of my all time favourites. NO SYNTHS were used! We started with the drums as usual and we'd just gotten some new bit of rack gear (effects) and while robin was messing about with it i plugged a guitar into it so he could fiddle, and all of a sudden it started to sound gorgeous and i got this melody (the one that sounds like a synth), then he added more guitars etc and we adored it as an instrumental but when Liz added her vocals it was just divine.
Robin got a beat going. He’d bought a new bit of rack gear and he was fiddling with it while I played the guitar to help him mess with the sound. The melody came out of that and then we built it from there. Love this one to this day. Fresh and different. Took a couple of hours...

HOLV
The title song was CLASSIC Elizabeth wasn't it. Her backing vocals are SOO UNDERRATED ...we knew the music was pretty good but when she came in and laid down that first vocal, oh man...the record is quite short like all of ours and only 10 songs, I am turning the vinyl now.

I Wear Your Ring
OK Side 2 starts with one of my fave ever CT songs I Wear Your Ring. still makes me cry like a baby this one. Wrote the music for this one, and froufrou foxes in the days following my father’s death But Robin’s drums, guitar additions and of course Liz’s singing make it so emotional. At 2.00 before the big key change there is this melody that sounds like it’s a French horn or an oboe. I can’t remember where it came from, cos we didn’t have any French horns but I love it so

Most people think we used synths all the time but we didn't. Robin just had a genius for sound and textures with guitars. I Wear Your Ring is based around a keyboard tho ; )

Fotzepolitic
For a song title that literally translates to ‘Cunt politics’ it sure is a jaunty little piece of music.

Wolf In The Breast
defo one of my fave pieces.Also makes me cry a lot. Raymonde and Guthrie in classic bass and guitar combo. I like the ones where I play two bass lines like this. This kinda song writes itself. And Fraser at her ecstatic best looking back on the birth of her first daughter. “Laughing on our bed, pretending us newly wed, especially when our angel unleashed that head-I feel perpetual". AMAZING amazing. Still can't believe we did some of this stuff.

Road, river and rail.
This one is melancholy and again the classic bass and guitar writing combo. After Liz recorded her amazing vocals, we referred to it as Rod, river and reel. 'Through Paris, Brixton.' These little gems Elizabeth left us are all there. Even if you aren't sure what all the words are you still sing along and have a journey of expression and interaction that is so beautiful. she is beyond compound

Frou-frou foxes
The first day back to studio after my Dad's’s funeral, I was the only one there for a bit, and sat playing the piano. After an hour or so, I had something that I was keeping returning to. (the music for Frou-Frou Foxes In Midsummer Fires) Robin walked in and listened quietly. “Don’t stop” he said walking straight to the Akai MPC60 and getting his magic beats working. After laying the piano and drums down, we added his lovely textured guitars I think he also did the bass on this one as I was probably a bit emotionally drained from the piano. Hard to listen to now (he says with tears streaming down the face) but v proud of us for doing it.

What’s odd about CT is that cos we only wrote 10 songs for each lp we would always have to write b sides after. And they’d often be really good maybe good enough for the LP but too late to fit on. Try listening to Watchlar.That’s one of those /it’s on the bside of Iceblink Luck
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That was wonderful. Such a special record. A rare moment where a bad achieves something like commercial success (or recognition) halfway thru their career plus it's their best record. They still feel like the Beatles to me—every record has the shudder effect on me and they left well before they got old.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 7:24pm
That was wonderful. Such a special record. A rare moment where a bad achieves something like commercial success (or recognition) halfway thru their career plus it's their best record. They still feel like the Beatles to me—every record has the shudder effect on me and they left well before they got old.
Their last two are unfairly maligned. Sure, they're slightly more accessible, but not nearly enough to warrant some of the negative emotions I've seen around them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 1:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Their last two are unfairly maligned. Sure, they're slightly more accessible, but not nearly enough to warrant some of the negative emotions I've seen around them.
The only record of theirs that I don't play is Garlands. It's practically a different band. Not especially distinct from any other goth act of the time.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 1:27pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The only record of theirs that I don't play is Garlands. It's practically a different band. Not especially distinct from any other goth act of the time.
I like the basslines.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I like the basslines.
That's part of what I dislike about Garlands. Actually, the only thing I like is RG's screechy guitar, but it's not enough. Just not a good start.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 3:00pm
Doc did you see this?

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/ri ... new_tracks
No, thanks for passing it on. Haven't been terribly thrilled with the new Ride albums. They aren't crappy by any means, but not especially dynamic(?) either.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 3:28pm
wMarky Dread wrote:
Doc did you see this?

No, thanks for passing it on. Haven't been terribly thrilled with the new Ride albums. They aren't crappy by any means, but not especially dynamic(?) either.
Can't say I've been over impressed but thought this looked interesting.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 3:28pm
wMarky Dread wrote:
Doc did you see this?

Can't say I've been over impressed but thought this looked interesting.
I'll definitely give it a spin.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As I wrote in CCS, I'd gotten Sunburst and Pearly when they came out but it wasn't until early 86 that the Twins really kicked my face in. I was still licking my wounds from Cut the Crap and got a mixtape from a singer I was working with. It kicked off with Pale Clouded White and Persephone and I never looked back. I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I first pressed play.

The last two kind of suffered from the 4AD fallout and the zeitgeist. I didn't like either for ages until I heard the remasters and realized the original pressings were absolute trash. To me they are one of the few--if not the only-- band I can think of whose catalog is untouchable. Think about this: the last song on the last album is 'Seekers Who Are Lovers', which rivals anything off Treasure. The last song on their last EP is 'Alice', which garnered a big fanbase after it was featured in The Lovely Bones.

A bunch of DJs did some killer remixes of it on Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

This is a rip your heart out remix of HOLV

A killer remix of one of their Fruitopia jingles. I wish like fuck they put a full length version of this on an album

Insanely killer Spooky remix of their other Fruitopia jingle.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Those "Alice" remixes are especially fantastic. For the most part with the music I love, I don't pause when someone else doesn't like it—no cause to judge—but I confess that not being amazed by Cocteau Twins does cause me to scratch my head a bit.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 6:34am
Those "Alice" remixes are especially fantastic. For the most part with the music I love, I don't pause when someone else doesn't like it—no cause to judge—but I confess that not being amazed by Cocteau Twins does cause me to scratch my head a bit.
I think most people don't bother to look past the surface. You have to have an ear for melody and harmony to really understand just how insanely next-level they are. Elizabeth Fraser did the work that at least a dozen very highly paid professionals do on a Beyonce or Taylor Swift album. She wrote, arranged and performed vocal harmonies that a Queen or a Beach Boys would sell their souls to pull off.