The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/bri ... 203491537/

Is there anything more predictable than Mike Love being on the ugly side of a moral issue? A couple friends of mine who go see both BW and Mike Love's Beach Boys Sponsored By STP, Samsung, and Goldfish Crackers™ whenever they can have sworn off ML over this.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mike will take a buck from anyone offering. That said, maybe Brian and Al should think hard when the topic of renewing Mike's license to tour behind the name comes up. BRI is controlled by Brian, Mike, Al and the estate of Carl Wilson. Maybe it's time the name was put to rest for good. Mike and the equally obnoxious Bruce Johnston can tour as Mike Love's Endless Summer Beach Band or something like that.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:16am
Mike will take a buck from anyone offering. That said, maybe Brian and Al should think hard when the topic of renewing Mike's license to tour behind the name comes up. BRI is controlled by Brian, Mike, Al and the estate of Carl Wilson. Maybe it's time the name was put to rest for good. Mike and the equally obnoxious Bruce Johnston can tour as Mike Love's Endless Summer Beach Band or something like that.
I didn't know that Brian and Al still had a say. I thought that they got steady income from the name, but the name itself was under Mike's control.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:57am
WestwayKid wrote:
I didn't know that Brian and Al still had a say. I thought that they got steady income from the name, but the name itself was under Mike's control.
There were originally 6 members of Brother Records (BRI) when it was incorporated in 1966: Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al & Bruce. Bruce cashed in his shares when he left the group in 1972 and Dennis sold his shares to cover personal debts shortly before his death. Carl's reverted to his estate following his death. This leaves 4 voting members: Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate.

Mike has a separate company that manages his musical projects (including touring) and that company has a license from BRI to use The Beach Boys name. This means that all 4 voting members get a cut from every show played by Mike's version of the band. Bruce does not - he just gets paid by Mike's company.

It's a non-exclusive agreement, so in theory BRI could license the name to someone else at the same time Mike is using it. This is what happened during the 50th anniversary tour. They had to create a new company to manage that tour and then license the name from BRI.

Al got into trouble because he used the name without getting a license from BRI. It's a messy situation because BRI is Mike and Brian and Al. Mike gets a license to use the name, but he's also one of the people voting to allow him to use it and I think he's pretty stingy in regards to any other use of the name. He had no issue with voting to allow the name to be used during the 50th anniversary tour, but it was an issue when Al tried to use the name.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
There were originally 6 members of Brother Records (BRI) when it was incorporated in 1966: Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al & Bruce. Bruce cashed in his shares when he left the group in 1972 and Dennis sold his shares to cover personal debts shortly before his death. Carl's reverted to his estate following his death. This leaves 4 voting members: Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate.

Mike has a separate company that manages his musical projects (including touring) and that company has a license from BRI to use The Beach Boys name. This means that all 4 voting members get a cut from every show played by Mike's version of the band. Bruce does not - he just gets paid by Mike's company.

It's a non-exclusive agreement, so in theory BRI could license the name to someone else at the same time Mike is using it. This is what happened during the 50th anniversary tour. They had to create a new company to manage that tour and then license the name from BRI.

Al got into trouble because he used the name without getting a license from BRI. It's a messy situation because BRI is Mike and Brian and Al. Mike gets a license to use the name, but he's also one of the people voting to allow him to use it and I think he's pretty stingy in regards to any other use of the name. He had no issue with voting to allow the name to be used during the 50th anniversary tour, but it was an issue when Al tried to use the name.
Rock and roll!!!!! :yuck:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 12:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Rock and roll!!!!! :yuck:
Like I said, might be time to retire the name. Plus, Mike will be 79 next month.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From a piece on a new documentary about The Band:
All of which leads us to what this film really is: Robbie Robertson’s side of the story. I suspected this going into the movie and frankly was open to it. For years Robertson has been a reviled figure among certain fans, his perceived villainy exacerbated by the immensely sad aftermath of the Band itself. In 1986, pianist and vocalist Richard Manuel took his own life after a concert, at age 42; in 1999 bassist and vocalist Rick Danko died at age 55, after decades of struggles with substance abuse. Robertson has taken unfair blame for the tragic turns their lives took after The Last Waltz, and one can only imagine that their losses pained him more than most. Furthermore, Robertson’s outsize reputation for selfishness and self-aggrandizement has occasionally obscured the fact that he is one of rock ’n‘ roll music’s most brilliant guitarists and most gifted songwriters. In other words: Robbie Robertson is not Mike Love, by any stretch.
Still setting the standard for assholes!
https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/once- ... title.html

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:04am
From a piece on a new documentary about The Band:
All of which leads us to what this film really is: Robbie Robertson’s side of the story. I suspected this going into the movie and frankly was open to it. For years Robertson has been a reviled figure among certain fans, his perceived villainy exacerbated by the immensely sad aftermath of the Band itself. In 1986, pianist and vocalist Richard Manuel took his own life after a concert, at age 42; in 1999 bassist and vocalist Rick Danko died at age 55, after decades of struggles with substance abuse. Robertson has taken unfair blame for the tragic turns their lives took after The Last Waltz, and one can only imagine that their losses pained him more than most. Furthermore, Robertson’s outsize reputation for selfishness and self-aggrandizement has occasionally obscured the fact that he is one of rock ’n‘ roll music’s most brilliant guitarists and most gifted songwriters. In other words: Robbie Robertson is not Mike Love, by any stretch.
Still setting the standard for assholes!
https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/once- ... title.html
I'm a big fan of The Band and I've been looking forward to watching this documentary, but I am not surprised it features the Robbie Robertson side too much. It's a messy story and the truth is lost somewhere in the middle. In my opinion, nobody is innocent (except maybe Garth Hudson). Robertson's biggest fault (in my opinion) is that he can never stop talking about how it's not his fault.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey, WWK (or anyone), do you have a copy of The Beach Boys-ish copyright dump "The Big Beat 1963" in mp3 and/or (ideally) lossless? I've decided that since I'm gonna be in a lot more I really want to dig into those Beach Boys copyright collections, but I never picked this one up and now it's deleted from most of the usual digital selling platforms (in the US, still seems to be available in FLAC on 7digital in the UK). I'd be very grateful for a share from anyone who may have it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 4:03pm
Hey, WWK (or anyone), do you have a copy of The Beach Boys-ish copyright dump "The Big Beat 1963" in mp3 and/or (ideally) lossless? I've decided that since I'm gonna be in a lot more I really want to dig into those Beach Boys copyright collections, but I never picked this one up and now it's deleted from most of the usual digital selling platforms (in the US, still seems to be available in FLAC on 7digital in the UK). I'd be very grateful for a share from anyone who may have it.
It's in FLAC on SoulSeek. Can dl if you wish.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 4:08pm
Flex wrote:
If you'd be willing that'd be great! I've never really gotten the hang of soulseek.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 4:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 4:08pm
Flex wrote:
If you'd be willing that'd be great! I've never really gotten the hang of soulseek.
Here ya go, Wattie: https://mega.nz/#!YEc1RYzZ!uS490ih1ebc9 ... -WhiJfvQ-s

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 4:23pm
Here ya go, Wattie: https://mega.nz/#!YEc1RYzZ!uS490ih1ebc9 ... -WhiJfvQ-s
Awesome, thanks!

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 8:02pm
This was me at one point in my younger years.