So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 9:18pm
And the shows in Ottawa and Toronto have been canceled. I wonder if they were worried about being to get back into the US if they popped up north for a few days. Anyway, that eliminates any doubts or second guessing, and I get my money back.

edit: Nope, the remaining shows after that in Austin were also canceled. They hope to reschedule when they come back in the fall.
TONS of mandates going around banning crowds over certain sizes. A bunch of touring production companies are wholesale canceling all their events for a month or so.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Notice about the upcoming documentary implies the potential of a new album by maybe mid-2021?
Discussions with the band had already established that to fit in with Wire's release schedule, the best time for the release of this film will be Christmas 2021.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 1:23pm
Notice about the upcoming documentary implies the potential of a new album by maybe mid-2021?
Discussions with the band had already established that to fit in with Wire's release schedule, the best time for the release of this film will be Christmas 2021.
Which I'll buy and warm to over the next few years. *sigh*
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I first discovered Wire, this was a very skippable track, but it's now one of my favourite Mute era songs. Like being methodically slashed by a razor. The cd version of The Ideal Copy (that includes Snakedrill) is my favourite of the Mute records. It's got a darkness and grittiness that got polished away over the next several albums much to their detriment.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2020, 1:55pm
For those not on Wire email list: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-05-05-20
Thanks Doc - I thought I *was* on their mailing list but haven't received this info.
Even some of my emails are doing social distancing on me now.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
05 May 2020, 3:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2020, 1:55pm
For those not on Wire email list: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-05-05-20
Thanks Doc - I thought I *was* on their mailing list but haven't received this info.
Even some of my emails are doing social distancing on me now.
:lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listened to the new, proper version of "Art of Persistence." Oy vey—it doesn't hold a candle to that original rough version on Third Day. I hate, absolutely hate, being so negative towards Wire these days—despite continuing to buy anything and everything they release—but they just ain't talking to me anymore. :sad:

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2020, 6:47pm
Listened to the new, proper version of "Art of Persistence." Oy vey—it doesn't hold a candle to that original rough version on Third Day. I hate, absolutely hate, being so negative towards Wire these days—despite continuing to buy anything and everything they release—but they just ain't talking to me anymore. :sad:
It sounds like you're experiencing the audio equivalent of what my emails from pinkflag have become - I found that recent email in my spam folder!
What was once a much-valued source of Wire info has been relegated to a pizza flyer on the doormat. Bah.
I'll still order the new album - I was actually pleasantly surprised by Mind Hive after all the 'so-so' reactions. Single tracks sometimes don't stand up well to being put under the spotlight. The full array might be a better listen.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I can't help feel Wire are releasing stuff far too often and their creative juices are on the wane. Yeah I probably buy it. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've mentioned this before that the albums Graham and Matt have collaborated on as UUUU and Fitted have been really good. Crunchy, weird sounds. Hard not to point the finger Colin's way, then, that Wire has lost its edge. Do they need an outside producer? Does he dominate the creative process now? I dunno, but it's terribly mediocre to my ears.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sugar daddies and/or mamas: I'm looking to upgrade a couple shows, One is at the Barbican in London, April, 2003. This isn't the one that was released as the The Scottish Play, but the one where they played all of Pink Flag (plus some newer songs). I thought I'd purchased a legit cd of this, but apparently not, and all I have is 128kbps mp3's. The other one if It's All In the Brochure, which is mostly Wire, but a few related artists, at their initial return in 2000. I know I bought this disc—it was just a cardboard sleeve—but damned if I can find it now. And, again, not great quality mp3's are all I have now. So, if anyone has these, please help out a poor orphan.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sorry bud no help here. I see it's available as mp3s on Amazon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2020, 2:50pm
Sugar daddies and/or mamas: I'm looking to upgrade a couple shows, One is at the Barbican in London, April, 2003. This isn't the one that was released as the The Scottish Play, but the one where they played all of Pink Flag (plus some newer songs). I thought I'd purchased a legit cd of this, but apparently not, and all I have is 128kbps mp3's. The other one if It's All In the Brochure, which is mostly Wire, but a few related artists, at their initial return in 2000. I know I bought this disc—it was just a cardboard sleeve—but damned if I can find it now. And, again, not great quality mp3's are all I have now. So, if anyone has these, please help out a poor orphan.
No dice on my end either. Have you tried Soulseek?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 May 2020, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2020, 2:50pm
No dice on my end either. Have you tried Soulseek?
Just found Brochure on Soulseek. It hadn't been coming up the last few days.