Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by 101Walterton »

No one is complaining about Burkhas any more 👍

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I was at the grocery story today and it was packed and honestly it looked like 60% of the people there gave zero fucks about any virus. No masks, no social distancing, no "one cart, one person" rule. It almost feels like the collective weight of society has shifted towards the "we tried to care about this, but it was too hard" side and now we're just going to move forward and those who are going to die are going to die and that's just how it is.

Our state supreme court threw out our governor's "Safer at Home" order last Wednesday night and within hours the local news was reporting from packed bars. People were celebrating like the Packers had just won the Super Bowl. I'd like to think life is worth more than rushing out to the nearest watering hole for a Coors Light,
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2020, 8:03pm
I was at the grocery story today and it was packed and honestly it looked like 60% of the people there gave zero fucks about any virus. No masks, no social distancing, no "one cart, one person" rule. It almost feels like the collective weight of society has shifted towards the "we tried to care about this, but it was too hard" side and now we're just going to move forward and those who are going to die are going to die and that's just how it is.

Our state supreme court threw out our governor's "Safer at Home" order last Wednesday night and within hours the local news was reporting from packed bars. People were celebrating like the Packers had just won the Super Bowl. I'd like to think life is worth more than rushing out to the nearest watering hole for a Coors Light,
Maybe a month ago, I read a short piece on how one city (LA? Seattle?) dealt with influenza in 1919–20. It's striking how much of a replay is occurring. People underestimate the effect but grudgingly go along with curfews and masks; after a month or so, people start rebelling against masks and not being able to congregate; a massive flare-up in cases following the premature lifting of restrictions; and then a realization that, oh fuck, guess we do need to modify our behaviour. Hopefully in all these states rushing back to "normal," after the inevitable spike in new cases, the restrictions will be reintroduced and heeded better.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2020, 12:19pm
Maybe a month ago, I read a short piece on how one city (LA? Seattle?) dealt with influenza in 1919–20. It's striking how much of a replay is occurring. People underestimate the effect but grudgingly go along with curfews and masks; after a month or so, people start rebelling against masks and not being able to congregate; a massive flare-up in cases following the premature lifting of restrictions; and then a realization that, oh fuck, guess we do need to modify our behaviour. Hopefully in all these states rushing back to "normal," after the inevitable spike in new cases, the restrictions will be reintroduced and heeded better.
Maybe, although when you have states like Georgia fudging the numbers and lying about the amount of death their policies are creating it can be hard for people to accurately suss out the amount of destruction these policies are causing.

Things are getting "better" and the U.S. is still enduring the equivalent of a 9/11 every day. The amount of bloodletting happening domestically in the name of capitalism is horrifying.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

My nephew's not so bright wife has somehow manipulated her husband to go the beach. They have 3 young kids and she's pregnant. She said the beach is crowded. X( :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 May 2020, 12:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe, although when you have states like Georgia fudging the numbers and lying about the amount of death their policies are creating it can be hard for people to accurately suss out the amount of destruction these policies are causing.

Things are getting "better" and the U.S. is still enduring the equivalent of a 9/11 every day. The amount of bloodletting happening domestically in the name of capitalism is horrifying.
True, tho I wonder how well city and state govts were communicating with the public a hundred years ago (and how good was the data in the first place). If hospitals start filling up and overflowing, word of mouth gets too hard ignore. But who the hell knows. I have faith that people know enough not to floor it as the approach the edge of the cliff, tho reality seems to constantly prove me wrong.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2020, 12:58pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

True, tho I wonder how well city and state govts were communicating with the public a hundred years ago (and how good was the data in the first place). If hospitals start filling up and overflowing, word of mouth gets too hard ignore. But who the hell knows. I have faith that people know enough not to floor it as the approach the edge of the cliff, tho reality seems to constantly prove me wrong.
Meanwhile, efforts to ramp up testing appear to be falling short. I think mass testing of the population might also help people understand the scope of this pandemic, but then testing costs money and I think those in charge don't want to spend any more than they have to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 May 2020, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Meanwhile, efforts to ramp up testing appear to be falling short. I think mass testing of the population might also help people understand the scope of this pandemic, but then testing costs money and I think those in charge don't want to spend any more than they have to.
More testing that reveals a greater problem also, they would (rightfully) fear, reveals their own incompetence. One thing I backhandedly appreciate about Trump is that he says the quiet part loud all the time, and he's been pretty obvious that more testing would dispel the illusion of his competency, which most governors would privately admit to.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2020, 1:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 May 2020, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

More testing that reveals a greater problem also, they would (rightfully) fear, reveals their own incompetence. One thing I backhandedly appreciate about Trump is that he says the quiet part loud all the time, and he's been pretty obvious that more testing would dispel the illusion of his competency, which most governors would privately admit to.
I'm coming to accept that at least in my small corner of the world that it's now every person for themselves. Our governor admitted as much. He said he's given up trying to put together any statewide plan because he knows anything he proposes will be DOA with the GOP legislature. I'm just going to do the best I can to protect myself and my family. It's really all I can do. Things are already opening back up. It's happening.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 May 2020, 4:44pm
I'm coming to accept that at least in my small corner of the world that it's now every person for themselves. Our governor admitted as much. He said he's given up trying to put together any statewide plan because he knows anything he proposes will be DOA with the GOP legislature. I'm just going to do the best I can to protect myself and my family. It's really all I can do. Things are already opening back up. It's happening.
I do worry for all my American friends because so much of how this is being treated seems geared at maximizing misery. Here in Ontario, where the premier is Rob Ford's brother and someone who has worked the Trump playbook since getting elected, Doug Ford has been surprisingly non-imbecilic for the most part, even taking shots at his base for demanding things open early. Things have been far from ideal here—most of the fatalities seem connected more with a pre-existing problem, for-profit care homes—there is a sense that all levels of government are working on a premise of public health over all else.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Beautiful day so we took a stroll down by the waterfront. Probably fewer people than normal for the weather but still a good number couple hundred or so Id say. I saw maybe 10 people with masks or some sort of facial covering.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2020, 6:16pm
Beautiful day so we took a stroll down by the waterfront. Probably fewer people than normal for the weather but still a good number couple hundred or so Id say. I saw maybe 10 people with masks or some sort of facial covering.
At this point the best we can hope for is risk-management. We're never going to get 100% buy-in.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
19 May 2020, 6:35pm
revbob wrote:
At this point the best we can hope for is risk-management. We're never going to get 100% buy-in.
I will say that the vast majority of non mask wearers were 25 or under.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2020, 6:51pm
Kory wrote:
19 May 2020, 6:35pm
revbob wrote:
I will say that the vast majority of non mask wearers were 25 or under.
We have bugged out to Cape Cod for the time being. The Cape is... old. We try to get some exercise by going on an hour long walk every morning. The old folks we pass keep thanking us for wearing masks. It just seems like common courtesy to me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was talking to someone I know who got covid in NYC. His employer questioned the diagnosis/test results and has been calling him every day asking when he plans to return. He also works in a health care setting with people who have various disabilities.