How Do You Like Your Chimps?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: How Do You Like Your Chimps?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2020, 6:49am
To battle Murder Hornets, no doubt
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How do you like your Apes movies ranked? https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-9-planet-of ... 1843481003

I agree with the placements of #1, 8, and 9, but what's in between often baffles. Especially "War" at #2. I was fucking well bored shitless by that one. "Conquest," on the other hand, is top 3 for me—dark and vengeful, when the slaves overthrow the slavers. I also really dig "Beneath," even if it's pretty silly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 6:44am
How do you like your Apes movies ranked? https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-9-planet-of ... 1843481003

I agree with the placements of #1, 8, and 9, but what's in between often baffles. Especially "War" at #2. I was fucking well bored shitless by that one. "Conquest," on the other hand, is top 3 for me—dark and vengeful, when the slaves overthrow the slavers. I also really dig "Beneath," even if it's pretty silly.
Yeah I really like "Beneath" although the ending gets silly. "War" should've been great but it just drags.

I also agree about "Conquest".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I really like "Beneath" although the ending gets silly. "War" should've been great but it just drags.

I haven't seen the Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch one and I feel ok with that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:49am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Burton one is beautiful to look at—maybe the most visually pleasing of them all. And it's the closest to being faithful to the original novel. But it's undeniably blah.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 8:24am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Burton one is beautiful to look at—maybe the most visually pleasing of them all. And it's the closest to being faithful to the original novel. But it's undeniably blah.
Yeah but the end of the Burton one makes no sense.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In what way? It's been so long, I don't recall the details.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Not my explanation but try this.

I think that what happens is Thade somehow escapes from the crashed ship and finds a way to pilot something into the same electromagnetic storm. And then, well, he somehow ends up back on a modern Earth years before Wahlberg does and in the ensuing time, he helps apes overthrow the planet. So it's not that an ape civilization had somehow perfectly mirrored human civilization, but rather that the now-ruling apes have coopted the human's world and have remade it in their own image. The Lincoln Memorial is still the Lincoln Memorial, for example, but the face has been changed to memorialize Thade now, instead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

On another note. The Apes in the modern movies look great and yet i still prefer those ape costumes of the early films.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's the latest one, innit?

If so, yeah, that was a boring crapfest.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think that what happens is Thade somehow escapes from the crashed ship and finds a way to pilot something into the same electromagnetic storm. And then, well, he somehow ends up back on a modern Earth years before Wahlberg does and in the ensuing time, he helps apes overthrow the planet. So it's not that an ape civilization had somehow perfectly mirrored human civilization, but rather that the now-ruling apes have coopted the human's world and have remade it in their own image. The Lincoln Memorial is still the Lincoln Memorial, for example, but the face has been changed to memorialize Thade now, instead.
Huh. My assumption (at least from my poor memory) was that, like the novel, Marky Mark returns to find that, yeah, the same thing happened to Earth. If so, I guess I missed the (dumb) ending and assumed something (maybe) better. Now I feel I should re-watch it in spite of it all.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Spiff wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:47am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, it must be 10+ years old by now.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Huh. My assumption (at least from my poor memory) was that, like the novel, Marky Mark returns to find that, yeah, the same thing happened to Earth. If so, I guess I missed the (dumb) ending and assumed something (maybe) better. Now I feel I should re-watch it in spite of it all.
Wasn't it always Earth? Or did he not realize it?

Now Im thinking I might watch it despite Marky Mark. Although he's widely despised here at the rectory.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:47am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Burton one came out in 2000 or 2001. I know this because we moved a friend down to Tucson and saw it while there.