How Do You Like Your Chimps?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: How Do You Like Your Chimps?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:32am

Yeah but the end of the Burton one makes no sense.
In what way? It's been so long, I don't recall the details.
Not my explanation but try this.

I think that what happens is Thade somehow escapes from the crashed ship and finds a way to pilot something into the same electromagnetic storm. And then, well, he somehow ends up back on a modern Earth years before Wahlberg does and in the ensuing time, he helps apes overthrow the planet. So it's not that an ape civilization had somehow perfectly mirrored human civilization, but rather that the now-ruling apes have coopted the human's world and have remade it in their own image. The Lincoln Memorial is still the Lincoln Memorial, for example, but the face has been changed to memorialize Thade now, instead.
Huh. My assumption (at least from my poor memory) was that, like the novel, Marky Mark returns to find that, yeah, the same thing happened to Earth. If so, I guess I missed the (dumb) ending and assumed something (maybe) better. Now I feel I should re-watch it in spite of it all.
Wasn't it always Earth? Or did he not realize it?

Now Im thinking I might watch it despite Marky Mark. Although he's widely despised here at the rectory.
I thought, like the novel, there were two different planets and that in the time he was gone, Earth went thru the same ape revolution.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 11:06am
revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think that what happens is Thade somehow escapes from the crashed ship and finds a way to pilot something into the same electromagnetic storm. And then, well, he somehow ends up back on a modern Earth years before Wahlberg does and in the ensuing time, he helps apes overthrow the planet. So it's not that an ape civilization had somehow perfectly mirrored human civilization, but rather that the now-ruling apes have coopted the human's world and have remade it in their own image. The Lincoln Memorial is still the Lincoln Memorial, for example, but the face has been changed to memorialize Thade now, instead.
Huh. My assumption (at least from my poor memory) was that, like the novel, Marky Mark returns to find that, yeah, the same thing happened to Earth. If so, I guess I missed the (dumb) ending and assumed something (maybe) better. Now I feel I should re-watch it in spite of it all.
Wasn't it always Earth? Or did he not realize it?

Now Im thinking I might watch it despite Marky Mark. Although he's widely despised here at the rectory.
I thought, like the novel, there were two different planets and that in the time he was gone, Earth went thru the same ape revolution.
Oh...I never read the book and haven't seen the originals in like 40 years.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 8:24am

The Burton one is beautiful to look at—maybe the most visually pleasing of them all. And it's the closest to being faithful to the original novel. But it's undeniably blah.

So were to assume that, after Davidson leaves Ashlar, Thade escapes imprisonment, helps the apes somehow create/acquire advanced technology (during the film, they have none), and then gets back to earth so much earlier than Davidson that he has time to overthrow humanity before Davidson exits the time-space vortex. Oh, and it also means that Thade does all of this before he gets too old to lead that takeover. No matter how one tweaks this supposition, it, too, doesn't hold up to scrutiny, because it requires leaps of faith about key plot points that aren't established, much less depicted, by the film itself. It requires imagining that things happened offscreen that the story never sets up as actual possibilities.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

So were to assume that, after Davidson leaves Ashlar, Thade escapes imprisonment, helps the apes somehow create/acquire advanced technology (during the film, they have none), and then gets back to earth so much earlier than Davidson that he has time to overthrow humanity before Davidson exits the time-space vortex. Oh, and it also means that Thade does all of this before he gets too old to lead that takeover. No matter how one tweaks this supposition, it, too, doesn't hold up to scrutiny, because it requires leaps of faith about key plot points that aren't established, much less depicted, by the film itself. It requires imagining that things happened offscreen that the story never sets up as actual possibilities.
Yeah, put that way, it does make the guts of the movie something that we just have to sort of invent in our head in the last couple minutes. As opposed to the 1968 version, where the reveal upends what we've been watching (or, rather, confirms suspicions based on clues along the way). I torn over watching this again, now, because it's probably going to make me angry.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, put that way, it does make the guts of the movie something that we just have to sort of invent in our head in the last couple minutes. As opposed to the 1968 version, where the reveal upends what we've been watching (or, rather, confirms suspicions based on clues along the way). I torn over watching this again, now, because it's probably going to make me angry.
It's the Cut the Crap of the Apes movies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I can almost sign on to this except that my memory is that it really looked good. And CtC sounded just like it's true essence—wet fart thru a sequencer run by a drunk chimp.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 2:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can almost sign on to this except that my memory is that it really looked good. And CtC sounded just like it's true essence—wet fart thru a sequencer run by a drunk chimp.
But Mark Wahlberg was crap. A plank of wood is less wooden.

It did look nice though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It did look nice though.
MW's racist past and general douchery sets himself up as the Vince of the project. Unfortunately he wasn't wiped from the final product.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 2:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2020, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It did look nice though.
MW's racist past and general douchery sets himself up as the Vince of the project. Unfortunately he wasn't wiped from the final product.
Ha! if only.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Seriously, I remember that ad.
Attachments
Internet_20200521_223902_1.jpeg
Internet_20200521_223902_1.jpeg (141.21 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
22 May 2020, 2:12pm
Ha! Yeah me too.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2020, 2:18pm
Olaf wrote:
Ha! Yeah me too.
There's an interesting backstory here... Their creator, Harold von Braunhut, also marketed the X-ray specs. And was, apparently, also a member of the Klan (well, with a name like that...). I swear I'm not making this up.

It seems they're still a thing, as revbob would say.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
23 May 2020, 11:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Ha! Yeah me too.
There's an interesting backstory here... Their creator, Harold von Braunhut, also marketed the X-ray specs. And was, apparently, also a member of the Klan (well, with a name like that...). I swear I'm not making this up.

Well I hope Mr. Brownshit chokes on one of his own sea monkey's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2020, 12:42pm
Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Ha! Yeah me too.

Broke his neck falling down the stairs apparently. Good enough for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
23 May 2020, 1:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2020, 12:42pm
Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Ha! Yeah me too.

Broke his neck falling down the stairs apparently. Good enough for me.
I'll take that. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia