The Ultimate Album Track 11

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Mimi »

I honestly didn't mean to provoke. I know nothing of the cockney slang, so I always assumed it was an insult. I took it that way from the very beginning. Maybe I should have asked for clarification years ago.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:43pm
I honestly didn't mean to provoke. I know nothing of the cockney slang, so I always assumed it was an insult. I took it that way from the very beginning. Maybe I should have asked for clarification years ago.
That’s all good and if I knew someone was offended I wouldn’t use it.
No different to using Bubble and Squeak for a Greek person there is no implication that they are in any way a plate of mashed up potatoes and vegetables it just rhymes.
I didn’t make this shit up it has been used for generations.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:48pm
Mimi wrote:
No different to using Bubble and Squeak for a Greek person there is no implication that they are in any way a plate of mashed up potatoes and vegetables it just rhymes.
See, I always thought bubble and squeak was a dish.

My head hurts.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I thought the Limey/Septic knockabout pisstake stuff was fair game on here. I'll be wary in future then.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:

My head hurts.
Me too (on both counts). I had no idea it was also a rhyming slang reference to Greeks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

We all give each other a good natured ribbing here and while I get annoyed with some things (intentionally excluding Paranoid ) I dont normally take shit personally here. And I hope nobody here takes me overly seriously although I know I have the tendency to come off as a dick at times and have pissed some people off.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
I thought the Limey/Septic knockabout pisstake stuff was fair game on here. I'll be wary in future then.
There’s a massive asymmetry between “navy eats a lot of limes to prevent scurvy” and “festering pile of human feces.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

It may just be me and that’s fine. But it sucks and I hate it. And if it weren’t meant offensively, it would’ve been something like Sherman, or propane, or Scuba, or any of a number of other things that aren’t that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:55pm
Mimi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:

My head hurts.
Me too (on both counts). I had no idea it was also a rhyming slang reference to Greeks.
Bubble and Squeak is a meal made from leftovers usually a Sunday roast.
The potatoes and vegetables are mashed together then fried.
The only connection to Greek people is the rhyme.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:01pm
Bubble and Squeak is a meal made from leftovers usually a Sunday roast.
The potatoes and vegetables are mashed together then fried.
The only connection to Greek people is the rhyme.
Yeah, I understood it as fried scraps. That it has a second life as cockney rhyming slang was a revelation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:59pm
It may just be me and that’s fine. But it sucks and I hate it. And if it weren’t meant offensively, it would’ve been something like Sherman, or propane, or Scuba, or any of a number of other things that aren’t that.
I won’t use it again.

To clarify your point Sherman Tank = bank

Propane and scuba tanks would not have been around (or terms used) in the London Street markets where this originates.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Almost every etymology site that is dictionary-based and not crowd sourced includes the words “derogatory” or “pejorative.” Just putting that out there. Since, you know...it’s a thing that’s full of shit.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:11pm
Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.
So rhyming slang originated in London streets as a way of communicating in code to disguise what is being said (from non traders / Police etc). In the past it was a whole language and they would talk in sentences however nowadays it is just words that are used.
Was never any insult either joking or otherwise it was just a way of disguising what you were talking about snd the more obscure the better.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Hidden meanings are not exclusive of insulting.