Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Flex »

i won't piss in anyone's cornflakes too much, but i just wanted to chime in that i think ozark is pretty bad. Just utterly unrelatable, unrealistic actions from absurdly unlikeable characters. I really, really hate what "prestige" dramas have done to television.

I did enjoy the REO Speedwagon gag, tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:09pm
i won't piss in anyone's cornflakes too much, but i just wanted to chime in that i think ozark is pretty bad. Just utterly unrelatable, unrealistic actions from absurdly unlikeable characters. I really, really hate what "prestige" dramas have done to television.

I like the Ruth character.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:12pm
Flex wrote:

This. But agree with Flex most of the characters are not likeable but for me it works.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:

Read: Flex can't relate to hillbillies and thinks they're unlikeable. Go back to Taxachusetts and get gay married, Streisand!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
Yeah, she's the bright spot in the show for me. Julia Garner is great in pretty much everything I've seen her in.

I liked the initial joke: terrible middle class white people obsessed with middle class respectability decided they wanted to do crimes to get more money and play victim ever onward, foregoing any sob stories or sympathetic "origin story", and if it had fashioned itself as more of a comedy poking fun at "prestige drama" tropes I'd have enjoyed it immensely. A few episodes and beats almost get there, but the show seemed to start to buy into the idea that anything its doing is remotely coherent or that 3/4 of the leads are interesting in and of themselves. Obviously most people disagree with me, and that's fine. I like Daniel Craig as James Bond so I'm aware that my tastes are suspect enough anyhow.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:25pm
Read: Flex can't relate to hillbillies and thinks they're unlikeable. Go back to Taxachusetts and get gay married, Streisand!
Another bright spot is that the wife, who went to Mizzou, occasionally chimes in with some good color commentary about all shithead rich people depicted in the show that she had to tolerate at school herself.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:25pm
Another bright spot is that the wife, who went to Mizzou, occasionally chimes in with some good color commentary about all shithead rich people depicted in the show that she had to tolerate at school herself.
Fermented bitterness from high school is the best alcohol ever. I'm serious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah, she's the bright spot in the show for me. Julia Garner is great in pretty much everything I've seen her in.

I liked the initial joke: terrible middle class white people obsessed with middle class respectability decided they wanted to do crimes to get more money and play victim ever onward, foregoing any sob stories or sympathetic "origin story", and if it had fashioned itself as more of a comedy poking fun at "prestige drama" tropes I'd have enjoyed it immensely. A few episodes and beats almost get there, but the show seemed to start to buy into the idea that anything its doing is remotely coherent or that 3/4 of the leads are interesting in and of themselves. Obviously most people disagree with me, and that's fine. I like Daniel Craig as James Bond so I'm aware that my tastes are suspect enough anyhow.
Fuck, its like I dont even know you.

He's more wooden than a fucking 2×4, and far less interesting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:45pm
Flex wrote:
30 May 2020, 7:26pm
. I like Daniel Craig as James Bond so I'm aware that my tastes are suspect enough anyhow.
Fuck, its like I dont even know you.

He's more wooden than a fucking 2×4, and far less interesting.
I actually think Craig's Bond makes some for the post-Cold War version of the character. Connery and Moore (esp. Connery) brought some romance to the character. The Cold War as heroic in the traditional good vs. evil sense, so the hero is alluring. Post-Cold War is free of any romance. It's nasty and brutal and amoral and technocratic. It's about getting the job done, not about panache. So a grim and wooden Bond works as part of our cultural mood, even if it doesn't interest me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 May 2020, 4:00pm
revbob wrote:
30 May 2020, 3:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
30 May 2020, 1:36pm
revbob wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:42am
Low Down Low wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:20am

Had that schitts creek highly recommended to me but after several episodes i gave up as it wasnt really doing it for me. Was told to stick with it so maybe I'll go back and give it another go.

Lilyhammer is one i quite liked, not sure is it still there though, old at this stage.

And watched E1 of Space Force last night. Not bad, a definite keeper for now anyway.
I ignored it for a long time. I don't think it is great but I do think it is good.
I will go back to it. It wasnt terrible by any means and i generally finish what I've started. Probably just a bit oversold to me i think.
Yeah I won't oversell it, its a decent comedy.

I am enjoying Space Force too.
Just watched the first episode. Some top Kokomo action.
Same on What We Do in the Shadows this week.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2020, 9:02pm
Thats the best show there is
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

tepista wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:30pm
revbob wrote:
Hello,

I really liked the film. Is the series the same level?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

gkbill wrote:
31 May 2020, 12:02am
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Absolutely, the first couple episodes you have to get used to the new cast, but now they ARE the guys to me. For the record, they are different characters.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Honestly haven't seen the film, but really enjoy the show. There was one epiisode that paid homage to the movie which included a scene with several actors from the movie.

Also 101, Perpetual Grace is another show to check out if you can.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
31 May 2020, 9:02am
gkbill wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Honestly haven't seen the film, but really enjoy the show. There was one epiisode that paid homage to the movie which included a scene with several actors from the movie.

Also 101, Perpetual Grace is another show to check out if you can.
👍