The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://slate.com/culture/2020/05/bruce ... ll-no.html
Even light-hearted, this is groanworthy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2020, 7:33am
So I couldn't finish this but I came away with less appreciation for Bruce than I had before.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 May 2020, 8:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So I couldn't finish this but I came away with less appreciation for Bruce than I had before.
Kinda hated baseball a bit, too, after that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2020, 9:38am
revbob wrote:
31 May 2020, 8:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kinda hated baseball a bit, too, after that.
I stopped when he brought in the curve ball.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Just found out this existed:

The 80s were a weird time. At least DITD "Blaster Mix" is laughably bad and an actual song, but I'm just wondering what they were thinking: "Hey, let's take this overblown shouty rock song about mistreatment of US veterans and make a 7+ minute dub mix that the source material is barely recognizable."

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 9:39am

The 80s were a weird time. At least DITD "Blaster Mix" is laughably bad and an actual song, but I'm just wondering what they were thinking: "Hey, let's take this overblown shouty rock song about mistreatment of US veterans and make a 7+ minute dub mix that the source material is barely recognizable."

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
This song despite the lyrics was a jingoistic anthem.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
I actually read something about this a few months ago. The growing popularity of club music and especially hip hop in the 80s led record companies to commission remixes and dubs of even the most conventional artists to see if they could expand into different demographics. How do you market Brooooose to young African Americans? How about a dub version. As you said, the 80s were a weird time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
Considering the era it's not as bad as I was expecting but is much worse than I want to hear.

I wonder what the "Radio" version is?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:29am
matedog wrote:

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
I actually read something about this a few months ago. The growing popularity of club music and especially hip hop in the 80s led record companies to commission remixes and dubs of even the most conventional artists to see if they could expand into different demographics. How do you market Brooooose to young African Americans? How about a dub version. As you said, the 80s were a weird time.
Yeah. This is...certainly from the mid 80s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:55am
matedog wrote:

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A
Considering the era it's not as bad as I was expecting but is much worse than I want to hear.

Very well put.

I remember reading Dave Marsh's garbage bio of Bruce and there was a decent chunk written about Bruce trying to appeal to African American listeners at the time with this and the DITD Blaster Mix (which Doc addressed in his post). Clearly it worked with his incredibly diverse fanbase today :rolleyes: .
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 1:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:55am
matedog wrote:

USA-A-A-A-A-A-A

Very well put.

I remember reading Dave Marsh's garbage bio of Bruce and there was a decent chunk written about Bruce trying to appeal to African American listeners at the time with this and the DITD Blaster Mix (which Doc addressed in his post). Clearly it worked with his incredibly diverse fanbase today :rolleyes: .
:lol:

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Speaking of Flannery O'Connor, just read somewhere that Springsteen was a fan. Makes sense if you look at his late 70s/early 80s lyrics.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Not a bad playlist.

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog

Post by matedog »

New album special edition comes with a sharpie. His fans are old.
Attachments
5F8672DA-F472-45F0-901B-E3BC4F08137C.jpeg
5F8672DA-F472-45F0-901B-E3BC4F08137C.jpeg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 3672 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 8:42pm
New album special edition comes with a sharpie. His fans are old.
:lol: That is … that is really lame. Especially given that his fans are, ironically, in a fairly well off income bracket.