oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by oliver »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:43pm
Heh heh heh

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/tech/twi ... index.html
They also need to add the fact-check stuff on his response that says his free speech is being stifled.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

oliver wrote:
27 May 2020, 9:36am
Mimi wrote:
Heh heh heh

They also need to add the fact-check stuff on his response that says his free speech is being stifled.
They really need to ban his ass.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
27 May 2020, 9:36am
Mimi wrote:
Heh heh heh

As others have observed, the Citizens United case that conservatives otherwise adore asserts that corporations have the same free speech rights as citizens. So this is Twitter exercising its free speech rights. CU is cool when it lets corporations buy candidates; not cool when it hinders conservative lunatics from lying with their services.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Just out from the election the National Party in NZ elected a new leader after a coup as a last ditch attempt to try and win an unwinnable upcoming election against Aunty Cindy (winner over Covid19).
The new leader was introduced in his office proudly standing in front of his political memorabilia including his $7 MAGA hat!!
He tried to defend it for 4 days before backing down.
Another coup needed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
27 May 2020, 3:55pm
Just out from the election the National Party in NZ elected a new leader after a coup as a last ditch attempt to try and win an unwinnable upcoming election against Aunty Cindy (winner over Covid19).
The new leader was introduced in his office proudly standing in front of his political memorabilia including his $7 MAGA hat!!
Another coup needed.
There's something absolutely mesmerizing about how the right's embrace of stupidity and xenophobia and thuggishness seems to have a momentum of its own. The dumber it gets, the happier the base is. It's weird that in the 1970s and 1980s, it was conservative thinkers who were generating the most interesting critiques, but that side is now dominated by proud idiots in a way that ossifying leftists or liberals ever endured.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2020, 4:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Another coup needed.
There's something absolutely mesmerizing about how the right's embrace of stupidity and xenophobia and thuggishness seems to have a momentum of its own. The dumber it gets, the happier the base is. It's weird that in the 1970s and 1980s, it was conservative thinkers who were generating the most interesting critiques, but that side is now dominated by proud idiots in a way that ossifying leftists or liberals ever endured.
So my wife has often been put off by the humor presented in like the old Simpsons, KoTH, and other things as embracing/encouraging stupidity. She's an immigrant and (although fluent) not a native English speaker so she sees things differently sometimes. I always explained it is satire and it isnt embracing it but making fun of it. Now Im wondering if there isnt something to what she was saying. Like idiots are too stupid/willfully ignorant to not realize these are not caracticures to emulate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 5:21pm
So my wife has often been put off by the humor presented in like the old Simpsons, KoTH, and other things as embracing/encouraging stupidity. She's an immigrant and (although fluent) not a native English speaker so she sees things differently sometimes. I always explained it is satire and it isnt embracing it but making fun of it. Now Im wondering if there isnt something to what she was saying. Like idiots are too stupid/willfully ignorant to not realize these are not caracticures to emulate.
She's not wrong. Satire works by its ability to work on multiple levels. Straight up, it confirms its target's view; bent, it exposes the target as worthy of contempt and/or mocking laughter. There were stories (apocryphal? verified?) of conservatives watching The Colbert Report and believing Stephen Colbert was a straight-up, fuck-the-libruls voice of the right. As funny as he could be, how much was he inadvertently feeding the stupidity of the right? Or All in the Family, despite Archie Bunker being a crude and dim bigot, actually appealed to conservative viewers who loved seeing him tell it like it is, especially to that insufferable Meathead (who was, most of the time, a stereotypical self-righteous liberal). My dad wasn't crude, but he had a lot of bigoted views and thought Archie Bunker made a lot of sense. I honestly don't know how much he understood the show to be mocking his racial and especially gender views. Satire's a risky game.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Al Murray, the Pub Landlord has an audience full of flag fuckers who he was taking the piss out of at one point but he's more than happy to take their money and provide the show they want.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2020, 5:47pm
revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 5:21pm
She's not wrong. Satire works by its ability to work on multiple levels. Straight up, it confirms its target's view; bent, it exposes the target as worthy of contempt and/or mocking laughter. There were stories (apocryphal? verified?) of conservatives watching The Colbert Report and believing Stephen Colbert was a straight-up, fuck-the-libruls voice of the right. As funny as he could be, how much was he inadvertently feeding the stupidity of the right? Or All in the Family, despite Archie Bunker being a crude and dim bigot, actually appealed to conservative viewers who loved seeing him tell it like it is, especially to that insufferable Meathead (who was, most of the time, a stereotypical self-righteous liberal). My dad wasn't crude, but he had a lot of bigoted views and thought Archie Bunker made a lot of sense. I honestly don't know how much he understood the show to be mocking his racial and especially gender views. Satire's a risky game.
A more contemporary example is all the douchebags looking up to the Rick character from Rick and Morty as the ideal of masculinity. Hyper-intelligent and emotionally unavailable.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2020, 1:39pm
A more contemporary example is all the douchebags looking up to the Rick character from Rick and Morty as the ideal of masculinity. Hyper-intelligent and emotionally unavailable.
Which requires ignoring so much else about his character and the show to appreciate that he's really quite pitiable.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2020, 2:11pm
Kory wrote:
28 May 2020, 1:39pm
Which requires ignoring so much else about his character and the show to appreciate that he's really quite pitiable.
Which is made pretty explicit overall. Silly fools.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Another coup needed.
Hello,

The right has really embraced anti-intelligence for several reasons. First, you can't buy intelligence - you can buy school and education but work ethic and reasoning gets you through ("Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Edison?). Second, intelligent/reasoned/ethical thinking often runs counter to business gains. Remaining dumb is easier - celebrating ignorance makes you feel better than recognizing/admitting (and then doing something about) one's ignorance. Finally, many intellects have equal amounts of pretension and intellect. Snobbery has fueled this to a degree.

I have had the "smarter is better than dumber" conversation with many students. Individually, the vast majority of students acknowledge this. A group/mob may behave/think differently.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 May 2020, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Another coup needed.
Hello,

The right has really embraced anti-intelligence for several reasons. First, you can't buy intelligence - you can buy school and education but work ethic and reasoning gets you through ("Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Edison?). Second, intelligent/reasoned/ethical thinking often runs counter to business gains. Remaining dumb is easier - celebrating ignorance makes you feel better than recognizing/admitting (and then doing something about) one's ignorance. Finally, many intellects have equal amounts of pretension and intellect. Snobbery has fueled this to a degree.

I have had the "smarter is better than dumber" conversation with many students. Individually, the vast majority of students acknowledge this. A group/mob may behave/think differently.
To add what you say, part of it is also political calculus. When the Democrats moved to the centre in the late 80s, their new strategy was to embrace professionals (i.e., college educated) and suburbanites. In doing so, they gave the middle finger to the working class, save for rhetorical lip service. In essence, they said education matters to us. Which left the under-educated to the right. And that achieved a momentum of its own as right-wing politics became more anti-liberal than pro- … something. So gut thinking (as opposed to critical thinking) became a virtue. But gut thinking is self-serving, validating our prejudices rather than questioning them. So the right has accelerated into self-satisfying bigotry. It has the advantage of proving you're smarter than the smart people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Our boy has pissed off the senile fascist. :cool:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 7:12am

Our boy has pissed off the senile fascist. :cool:
Look, I'll take your money but I won't plough your driveway.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/