I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:55pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:41pm
Is there an intermediate point where you could take a measurement?
This is from the living room, almost underneath my office and about 30–35 feet from the kitchen table.

Living room 2.4.jpg

Living room 5.jpg
Also Rogers operating on channel 2 is either unaware or a dick but for you his signal is weak enough that it shouldn't bother you.
The Rogers one might be a separate modem that is connected to the home security gizmahoozit. Don't ask me how the economy works.
So Im curious. What are you doing different between the 2 screen shots?

Notice that both shots are showing 2.4 and 5. But the lists are different.

So 2.4 Ghz has channels 1 thru 11 available. But decent humans in north America use channels 1, 6, or 11.

5 GHz has a lot more channels available starting at 36 and going up, basically your horizontal X axis on both graphs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is from the living room, almost underneath my office and about 30–35 feet from the kitchen table.

Living room 2.4.jpg

Living room 5.jpg
Also Rogers operating on channel 2 is either unaware or a dick but for you his signal is weak enough that it shouldn't bother you.
The Rogers one might be a separate modem that is connected to the home security gizmahoozit. Don't ask me how the economy works.

So 2.4 Ghz has channels 1 thru 11 available. But decent humans in north America use channels 1, 6, or 11.

5 GHz has a lot more channels available starting at 36 and going up, basically your horizontal X axis on both graphs.
The top shot is me switching my home network to 2.4Ghz, the bottom is the 5 Ghz. When we moved in, the ISP tech guy set up both 2.4 and 5 options. I've done nothing else. Everything else related to the network, I've let my Mac do automatically.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:39pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Living room 2.4.jpg

Living room 5.jpg

The top shot is me switching my home network to 2.4Ghz, the bottom is the 5 Ghz. When we moved in, the ISP tech guy set up both 2.4 and 5 options. I've done nothing else. Everything else related to the network, I've let my Mac do automatically.
Ill look at things a bit more closely when I get home and have a bigger screen.

That siad your living room shot you labled 5G has both frequency bands showing and overall I like what I see.

With that screen up again, change nothing but walk into the kitchen where she sits.

It may also be worth installing the program on her computer. To see if thry are seeing more or less the same thing.

There's also a chance her computer is setup to prefer 5GHz or not setup for the 2.4Ghz

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:55pm
With that screen up again, change nothing but walk into the kitchen where she sits.
I paced back and forth across the length of the house, from the front door (which is right under my office, where the modem is located) to the back, where the kitchen table is. I don't know how frequently it updates as you go, but the numbers were all over the place, from -60 to -90. Even directly under my office, the numbers fluctuated wildly.
It may also be worth installing the program on her computer. To see if thry are seeing more or less the same thing.
I'll do that after she's done her meetings for the day.
There's also a chance her computer is setup to prefer 5GHz or not setup for the 2.4Ghz
We're both set up for 5GHz as the default, but I switched her to 2.4 to see if that improved things. Today has been a decent day for signal, so there was no noticeable difference.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

We have what is supposed to be the best available super fast broadband. No idea what it is but that is what they say.
It works brilliantly in half my house!!
A few years back we renovated our old house and added a new part to the back and upstairs. The kids rooms are at the front of the house in the old part and they could not get decent wifi.
There are steel beems holding up the upstairs so looks like for some reason the wifi signal had trouble getting passed the steel which is weird????
Added to that we bought a smart TV which seems to suck up all the wifi.
We recently bought a booster which we put in the front of the house which seems to have fixed the issues but it is odd what can have an affect on your wifi signal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 4:22pm
You're just jealous because we won't let you join the superfriends.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, I relocated the modem to the living room—basically the central spot in the house. The signal is low 30s in there, but by the time I'm in the kitchen, it's anywhere from 60 to 80. Same thing upstairs. So basically the same as before. I don't get this shit at all. I mean, fine, if it all works better now in the kitchen, that's what counts, but you'd think the numbers would suggest it's better.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:42pm
Okay, I relocated the modem to the living room—basically the central spot in the house. The signal is low 30s in there, but by the time I'm in the kitchen, it's anywhere from 60 to 80. Same thing upstairs. So basically the same as before. I don't get this shit at all. I mean, fine, if it all works better now in the kitchen, that's what counts, but you'd think the numbers would suggest it's better.
Dropping from 30 to 60 or worse 80 in 30 feet of what I assume is open space is weird. What power level is your wifi router operating at? Some have power level settings some dont.

Any major obstacles in between?

Try one of those Flex approved devices, they are cheap enough and if it doesn't work you know who to blame. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 8:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:42pm
Dropping from 30 to 60 or worse 80 in 30 feet of what I assume is open space is weird. What power level is your wifi router operating at? Some have power level settings some dont.
No way of knowing the power level. Various display lights that indicate being online and all that, but nothing more specific.
Any major obstacles in between?
Just a partial wall, but otherwise it's a straight shot to the kitchen table. And going to the front of the house is completely open. What's mysterious to me is that the numbers fluctuate so much even staying in place. 80 to 60 to 50 to 70. No rhyme nor reason once you move more than 20 feet away.
Try one of those Flex approved devices, they are cheap enough and if it doesn't work you know who to blame. :shifty:
Regardless of the numbers, the range does seem to have improved. I was able to still get a proper signal while outside on the patio, which has never happened before. But if Zooming in the kitchen continues to be problematic, I'll look into one of those extenders.

Thanks for your insight, tho. Much appreciated.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 4:22pm
That's you lower left just out of frame right.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A bit of a coda to the story. So the modem is now in the middle of the house, ground floor. It is quite literally inches away from an AppleTV device. The ATV connects up to my desktop computer in my office, 2nd floor and maybe 20 feet to the front of the house. That's where the files that ATV accesses sit. On Saturday morning, I tried using the ATV for the first time since moving the modem and the bastard couldn't access the desktop's library. I played around with moving the modem around and nothing worked except for moving it back in the office, which which would have restored the kitchen problem. It was only by switching the ATV to 2.4 ghz while keeping the desktop at 5 that harmony was found. Again, the modem and ATV were inches away, but at 5 ghz it wouldn't recognize it, while the desktop only recognizes 5. That shit baffles me. Everything is working, but I don't get it at all.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 9:31pm
A bit of a coda to the story. So the modem is now in the middle of the house, ground floor. It is quite literally inches away from an AppleTV device. The ATV connects up to my desktop computer in my office, 2nd floor and maybe 20 feet to the front of the house. That's where the files that ATV accesses sit. On Saturday morning, I tried using the ATV for the first time since moving the modem and the bastard couldn't access the desktop's library. I played around with moving the modem around and nothing worked except for moving it back in the office, which which would have restored the kitchen problem. It was only by switching the ATV to 2.4 ghz while keeping the desktop at 5 that harmony was found. Again, the modem and ATV were inches away, but at 5 ghz it wouldn't recognize it, while the desktop only recognizes 5. That shit baffles me. Everything is working, but I don't get it at all.
Yeah there's some funky shit going on. If you were within a reasonable distance Id be tempted to go over there and see some shit first hand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 10:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 9:31pm
Yeah there's some funky shit going on. If you were within a reasonable distance Id be tempted to go over there and see some shit first hand.
Ultimately the problem has been resolved but I can't help but think that it's ready to go splat in an instant. It's like it's all hung together by chewing gum and elastic bands.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Does anyone know of a good online video cropper? I've tried a few like Kapwing but they keep asking for money to handle larger files. Or they let me do it but put a watermark on. I'm trying to extract the BAD performance of All Saints Road on Wired from a large Mp4 file. Also need to crop the top of the picture to remove the timestamp.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board