A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 1:23pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 1:10pm
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 10:32am
matedog wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 10:14am
Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 9:51pm

Unfortunately, yes. I don't think these people are racist, just stupid.
That's unfortunate. I thought "all lives matter" was an American phenomenon.
The UK and Australian right are hoovering up any shit the modern American right are throwing out in the ether now.
That's so damn disappointing.
Conservative arseholery used to have a particular national character as late as 2015 but I'd say online had smoothed those distinctions away. Your traditional grey tory voter has been replaced by someone who loathes and wants to own snowflakes.
Sometime around 2008ish (when that Negro got all uppity), conservatism (broadly conceived) became overwhelmingly dominated by kneejerk anti-liberalism/anti-leftism (but those are the same thing, amirite?). It doesn't matter how traditional or free market the stance a person might take*, if they are perceived as liberal or left, the position will be declared to be "far left" and an existential threat to god, family, and country. It's the province of the stupid, gut-reaction crowd, fed entirely on contempt and grievance. The principled, intellectual conservatives have themselves to blame, regularly stirring the pot for short-term gain, and now the morons have swamped them.

* E.g., Obamacare or carbon taxing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 1:37pm
ain't no white boy from New England kept his mouth shut for 75 days.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Geofence warrants: How police can use protesters' phones against them

https://www.cnet.com/news/geofence-warr ... =534254359

BostonBeaneater

Fuck the police.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm seeing a scattered, yet increasing, amount of pro-cop support on my social media feeds. I'm at the point where I'll either mute the person for 30 days or unfriend them. It all depends on my relationship with them.

On another note, I had an old coot I used to work with attack me on Facebook for taking my son to a protest (I've actually taken him to 3). He accused me of several things: putting my son in danger, using my son as a photo op, and so on. He claims my son can't possibly know what "Black Lives Matter" means.

My son is 10 and I've raised both of my kids to be aware of the greater world around them. It's how I was raised. My son most definitely knows what BLM means and he knows why he was marching. My 8 year old daughter knows.

I went back and forth with him a few times, but then my sister and a couple of my friends jumped in on my behalf and he's been quiet.

Icky white people just need to get out of the way,
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 1:00pm
On another note, I had an old coot I used to work with attack me on Facebook for taking my son to a protest (I've actually taken him to 3). He accused me of several things: putting my son in danger, using my son as a photo op, and so on. He claims my son can't possibly know what "Black Lives Matter" means.
Which raises the question of what the old coot thinks Black Lives Matter means. Five'll get you ten that it isn't what BLM supporters think it means.

Maybe the point was to draw out the racists, but the slogan would have eliminated that racist talking point if it were called Black Lives Also Matter. Kind of like how calling it global warming meant any cold day in January could be used against those issuing warnings.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 1:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Which raises the question of what the old coot thinks Black Lives Matter means. Five'll get you ten that it isn't what BLM supporters think it means.

Maybe the point was to draw out the racists, but the slogan would have eliminated that racist talking point if it were called Black Lives Also Matter. Kind of like how calling it global warming meant any cold day in January could be used against those issuing warnings.
He asked several times why my son didn't have an "All Lives Matter" sign and at one point even asked where the "White Lives Matter" sign was.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

He asked several times why my son didn't have an "All Lives Matter" sign and at one point even asked where the "White Lives Matter" sign was.
Assuming these people are sincere, it suggests a remarkable interpretation that there's a missing word, and that is "only." That black activists don't want police to stop victimizing them, but to dominate everyone else. Perhaps suggestive further that at heart they think only white lives really matter.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 3:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Assuming these people are sincere, it suggests a remarkable interpretation that there's a missing word, and that is "only." That black activists don't want police to stop victimizing them, but to dominate everyone else. Perhaps suggestive further that at heart they think only white lives really matter.
I feel like it's a way for them to push back. I believe many white people struggle with their white guilt. To suggest that Black Lives Matter to them underscores the issue of systemic racism that has benefited all white people (whether they want to admit it or not). I think the All Lives Matter response might be a way for them to assuage some of their guilt. It's the whole "I don't see color" response. They hide behind this claim that all lives matter for them because they don't want to admit that they 1) don't care about black lives or 2) feel guilt about their whiteness.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Did I mention the guy I used to work with?

He commented that police should be using lead bullets on protesters during a Facebook live stream last week.

Social media watchdogs grabbed a screenshot of his comment. They found out where he worked from his Facebook profile. They contacted my company. My company sent him packing the same day.

It's lovely seeing bad things happen to racist fools.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 6:09pm
Did I mention the guy I used to work with?

He commented that police should be using lead bullets on protesters during a Facebook live stream last week.

Social media watchdogs grabbed a screenshot of his comment. They found out where he worked from his Facebook profile. They contacted my company. My company sent him packing the same day.

It's lovely seeing bad things happen to racist fools.
It's mildly stunning to still see people post horrible shit under their own names and not think there might be consequences. Stick to Stormfront, assholes.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

A great protest/action passed by my office yesterday, so we decided to put up Black Lives Matter signs in support and set up a table to hand out water to the marchers. It was really great. And I love the irony of a Jewish organization supporting a BLM march on a street named for a Nazi sympathizer (Lindbergh Blvd., which is, aside from the freeways, the main thoroughfare in St. Louis County - I think it's past time to start thinking of renaming this street). It was a great show of community coming together.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/met ... c97.html#1
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy