Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

It also smelt of stale piss.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 3:10am
It also smelt of stale piss.
Stale pistol.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

39) The Trial - Franz Kafka. Audiobook. 1925. Josef K gets arrested on his thirtieth birthday for a crime that's never specified. It's brutal and spooky and witty. My read on it is that it's about buying into a system as much as you choose to. Had he ignored the ongoing trial, I think it would have gone away. A great read with nearly all of its individual scenes being unforgettable. I like how K is not a likable or identifiable protagonist - he's snobbish and self important and positively invites the treatment he receives.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 8:50am
39) The Trial - Franz Kafka. Audiobook. 1925. Josef K gets arrested on his thirtieth birthday for a crime that's never specified. It's brutal and spooky and witty. My read on it is that it's about buying into a system as much as you choose to. Had he ignored the ongoing trial, I think it would have gone away. A great read with nearly all of its individual scenes being unforgettable. I like how K is not a likable or identifiable protagonist - he's snobbish and self important and positively invites the treatment he receives.
One I read when I was more earnest. I liked it and although influenced by Dostoevsky "Crime and Punishment" I preferred "The Trial". I didn't realise at the time of reading that the book was really unfinished. I agree that Josef K is an unlikable character and somewhat self righteous and an arrogant man.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Another book I read around the same time as "The Trial" that affected me is the absurdist story "The myth of Sisyphus" by
Albert Camus.

A book which questions the very nature of man's quest for the searching of our own existance. Being happy by accepting our fate that this knowledge will forever allude us.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 9:12am
Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 8:50am
One I read when I was more earnest. I liked it and although influenced by Dostoevsky "Crime and Punishment" I preferred "The Trial". I didn't realise at the time of reading that the book was really unfinished. I agree that Josef K is an unlikable character and somewhat self righteous and an arrogant man.
Shows how good Kafka was that it not being finished doesn't stop it from being a great read.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 9:26am
Another book I read around the same time as "The Trial" that affected me is the absurdist story "The myth of Sisyphus" by
Albert Camus.

A book which questions the very nature of man's quest for the searching of our own existance. Being happy by accepting our fate that this knowledge will forever allude us.
Nice, will read. I liked the Outsider by Camus.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 9:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
Albert Camus.

This is a good time to read The Plague, by Camus as well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 5:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 9:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
Albert Camus.

This is a good time to read The Plague, by Camus as well.
Maybe later. My plague reading plans are to get to Daniel Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year sooner than later.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

41) Steering the Craft - Ursula Le Guin. Kindle. 1998. A nice, passionate writing manual. I ignored the exercises cos fuck you mum and dad I'm a grown up and I don't do homework. I probably got more from King's On Writing, in fact I know I did, but this sharpened some things I wanted to sharpen.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:20am
41) Steering the Craft - Ursula Le Guin. Kindle. 1998. A nice, passionate writing manual. I ignored the exercises cos fuck you mum and dad I'm a grown up and I don't do homework. I probably got more from King's On Writing, in fact I know I did, but this sharpened some things I wanted to sharpen.
One of the things I got from King's book—that is, as a handy phrase—is to refer to clumsy prose that tries to be too clever and meaningful as "angry lesbian breasts."
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

42) Invasion of the Dinosaurs - Malcolm Hulke. 1976. Kindle. A Doctor Who novelisation from the Target range. Crisply written and with no insanely small budget to hold the dinosaurs back, with some extra non - TV details. As with the majority of this line, a good way to spend a morning.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished listening to Breakfast of Champions. Now I'm not so sure I have read it before—it was entirely unfamiliar. Vonnegut's playful prose makes it compelling, but it's fundamentally doodling. There's no narrative to speak of, but instead a collection of loosely connected vignettes on the nature of existence. That it was read by John Malkovich in an exceedingly dry manner added positively to experience.

One thing that interested me is whether, given our greater awareness about the use of racial slurs, people think this novel goes into the somewhat distasteful pile now. I'm thinking of past discussions about "Fairytale of New York" and Huckleberry Finn, and whether, accordingly, the liberal use of the n-word and "chinaman," whatever the self-conscious purpose, unappealing now.

Starting tomorrow:
Never heard of this story before (it happened in, I believe, 1981), but I have a side interest in 60s/70s anti-government radicalism, so I'm quite curious about this.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Reminds me I've been meaning to revisit this book for some time. Ulrike Meinhof was a decent writer in her first life.
Attachments
41j21MKQoRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
41j21MKQoRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

43) Labyrinths - Jorge Luis Borges. Audiobook. 1962. A beautiful collection of short stories, clever, whimsical and fun. Loved this book and the way Borges writes, with several layers of reality. Not one dud in the pack, they're all equally stimulating.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/