MLB 2020

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2020

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 3:16pm
Red Sox Ask Fans To Switch From Racial To Homophobic Slurs When Taunting Opposing Players

https://sports.theonion.com/red-sox-ask ... 1844014433
Red Sox fans counter-propose a compromise: we'll do both.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 3:24pm
tepista wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 3:16pm
Red Sox Ask Fans To Switch From Racial To Homophobic Slurs When Taunting Opposing Players

https://sports.theonion.com/red-sox-ask ... 1844014433
Red Sox fans counter-propose a compromise: we'll do both.
Never let it be said we don't stand for inclusivity
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'know, reading about the negotiations for an abbreviated season, it's dawned on me that I don't really care whether there's a season this year. I've enjoyed watching some old games on MLB Network (the older the better), so it's not like I'm bored of the game or anything like that, but thinking about the possibility of nothing until next year, my reaction is meh. If they play, I'll watch; if they don't, I'll barely notice.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 6:07pm
Y'know, reading about the negotiations for an abbreviated season, it's dawned on me that I don't really care whether there's a season this year. I've enjoyed watching some old games on MLB Network (the older the better), so it's not like I'm bored of the game or anything like that, but thinking about the possibility of nothing until next year, my reaction is meh. If they play, I'll watch; if they don't, I'll barely notice.
I think the fanbase will further dwindle.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't doubt it. I'll certainly be back, but at the same time I'll be neither grateful nor outraged if the season is cancelled. Whatever the players and owners decide or don't decide, I don't care.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 12:56am
that was great!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 8:07pm
revbob wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't doubt it. I'll certainly be back, but at the same time I'll be neither grateful nor outraged if the season is cancelled. Whatever the players and owners decide or don't decide, I don't care.
Honestly, having sat out 2019 because Cubs ownership can gargle glass, I’m not missing it much either. I’ll take in the occasional game from Taiwan (go Monkeys!) or something and I’m fine.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i miss mlb baseball but i'd rather have the players not buckle to ownership. fuck the owners.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 1:32pm
i miss mlb baseball but i'd rather have the players not buckle to ownership. fuck the owners.
Yep. I don't miss it more than I hate ownership.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 1:09pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 12:56am
that was great!
This is supposed to be McCoy Stadium's last year hosting the Paw Sox. In 2021 they become the Worchester WooSox which is strange and confusing.

My dad took me to McCoy in the early 80s. I had been to a proper big league ballgame by then and the place was really crumby, basically falling apart. They had this weird Rhode Island pizza the was just toasted grinder bread with tomato sauce and parm sprinkled on.

McCoy was also site of the longest pro ballgame ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_p ... ing%20time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Game 7 of the 1952 WS (Chicos vs. Dodgers) is on. Apparently it's one of the oldest surviving full broadcasts. It's striking how quiet the crowd seems and how reserved the booth guy is. The plat cam also makes it seem like the mound is ten feet away from the plate.

Game 7 of the '71 WS (O's/Pirates) is on later.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 11:47am
Game 7 of the 1952 WS (Chicos vs. Dodgers) is on. Apparently it's one of the oldest surviving full broadcasts.
Game 6 was on yesterday, that's older. I watched most of it, Man, bases loaded with one out and down 2 in the 8th and Duke Snyder and Jackie Robinson both popped up. I would have thrown my corned beef on rye at the radio if I was alive then.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 6:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 11:47am
Game 7 of the 1952 WS (Chicos vs. Dodgers) is on. Apparently it's one of the oldest surviving full broadcasts.
Game 6 was on yesterday, that's older.
Pfft, by one day.
I watched most of it, Man, bases loaded with one out and down 2 in the 8th and Duke Snyder and Jackie Robinson both popped up. I would have thrown my corned beef on rye at the radio if I was alive then.
In Game 7, the Dodgers got a lead-off single and twice tried to bunt the guy over, and both times the bunts were good enough to be singles (both times halfway between third and the mound). But they only got one run off a sac fly. It tied the game, but the Dodgers could have buried them and yakked the chance.

One thing I noticed was that Jackie Robinson was a big enough figure that the announcer just called him Jackie. Other players were either their surname or full name, but he was just Jackie.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20200615_163737.jpg
Got my hat today