clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:51am
matedog wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 11:53am
matedog wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 11:51am
Posted to the fb group:

The June 1, 1980 show where George Butler of opening band Whirlwind played for the first 8 or so songs on the show.
Nice pic. Phil Hardy then Gary Hassett were the consecutive drummers with Whirlwind. Never heard of George Butler.
That's per discussions on the thread. It would explain the "Mister George" thank you Joe gives, but I can't find a lot of details on the band. It might be worth a deep dive.
Vocals Nigel Dixon
Drummer Phil Hardy replaced by Garry Bassett late 1978.
Lead guitarist Mick Lewis
Bassist Chris Emo

Maybe George was a roadie?
I think George was a jobbing drummer, probably called in by Whirlwind for the gig. It looks like him.
Google isn't giving me much beyond referring to the specific Clash gig. It would be a rough go to subbing in a for a drummer and have to sub in for another drummer during the same gig.

I found reference to a drummer George Butler from the band Lightning Raiders around this time. Here's the wiki entry. So there was a drummer by that name in a London band around that time with that name. Maybe he helped Whirlwind out?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Raiders

Maybe some photos of them would help.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Nice pic. Phil Hardy then Gary Hassett were the consecutive drummers with Whirlwind. Never heard of George Butler.
That's per discussions on the thread. It would explain the "Mister George" thank you Joe gives, but I can't find a lot of details on the band. It might be worth a deep dive.
Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

I think George was a jobbing drummer, probably called in by Whirlwind for the gig. It looks like him.
Google isn't giving me much beyond referring to the specific Clash gig. It would be a rough go to subbing in a for a drummer and have to sub in for another drummer during the same gig.

I found reference to a drummer George Butler from the band Lightning Raiders around this time. Here's the wiki entry. So there was a drummer by that name in a London band around that time with that name. Maybe he helped Whirlwind out?:

Reading the sleeve notes to my Whirlwind CD it says Gary Hassett injured his arm and groin just before a tour of Scotland which eventually forced the band to split. I assume this is when George stepped in. It also says at some shows the band had even grabbed audience members to play drums.

Re: Lightning Raiders I have their CD and the "Psychedelic Music" single that Paul Cook and Steve Jones play on. Lighting Raider Andy Allan was the original bass player for The Professionals and also played on the Pistols "Silly Thing".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:20am
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

Reading the sleeve notes to my Whirlwind CD it says Gary Hassett injured his arm and groin just before a tour of Scotland which eventually forced the band to split. I assume this is when George stepped in. It also says at some shows the band had even grabbed audience members to play drums.

Re: Lightning Raiders I have their CD and the "Psychedelic Music" single that Paul Cook and Steve Jones play on. Lighting Raider Andy Allan was the original bass player for The Professionals and also played on the Pistols "Silly Thing".
I thought the bass on Silly Thing was unusually fluid for Steve Jones.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 12:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:20am
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

I thought the bass on Silly Thing was unusually fluid for Steve Jones.
Yes Steve's bass playing was pretty much about just copying the root note of the guitar.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 10:02am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

Yes I just read Bakers web page and he states Topper was late and Mick had told Baker he would have to stand in as he had played along at rehearsals on the odd occasion. He said he was very nervous at the thought of playing in front of 1000's. Luckily George Butler stepped up at the last minute. I've got some Whirlwind stuff and never heard of George so maybe he was just a stand in for live shows.
I wish Baker would write a book everything I have read he has written has been insightful and well written.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 3:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

Yes I just read Bakers web page and he states Topper was late and Mick had told Baker he would have to stand in as he had played along at rehearsals on the odd occasion. He said he was very nervous at the thought of playing in front of 1000's. Luckily George Butler stepped up at the last minute. I've got some Whirlwind stuff and never heard of George so maybe he was just a stand in for live shows.
I wish Baker would write a book everything I have read he has written has been insightful and well written.
Agree. As far as I know Barry has only written a foreword for one Clash book.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 4:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Vocals Nigel Dixon
Bassist Chris Emo

I’m sure I read in an interview with him that he said he wouldn’t do one. He started the blog years ago when he wrote about the early days at Rehearsals but from memory he only wrote 1/2 articles but they were great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I’m sure I read in an interview with him that he said he wouldn’t do one. He started the blog years ago when he wrote about the early days at Rehearsals but from memory he only wrote 1/2 articles but they were great.
I love Barry's blog it's a brilliant read.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 4:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Has he updated it? Last time I looked it didn’t have snything new in ages.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 5:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 4:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Has he updated it? Last time I looked it didn’t have snything new in ages.
Don't think so. Maybe since Dec last year.

https://thebaker77.wordpress.com/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Newly unearthed colour photo of Joe running 1983 London Marathon.
Attachments
1983 London Marathon
1983 London Marathon
EbyDRxxWAAM3BlO.jpeg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 4427 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

FarawayTowns wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
Newly unearthed colour photo of Joe running 1983 London Marathon.
Great pic love it. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I was half tempted to get that 'do since the barbers have shut.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 4:25pm
I was half tempted to get that 'do since the barbers have shut.
Do it!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Going back to the June 1980 pic with Mr. Butler -- I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Pink Fairies connection, for which he as likely best known, though he wasn't part of the original lineup...but he came around later, for the many '80s-era regroupings and satellite projects (such as the Human Garbage album of 1984, which also features Wayne Kramer -- he's the drummer on that, plus that "Cocaine Blues" CD, which documents part of WK's '79 comeback show).

Butler also played on Larry Wallis's solo album, Death In The Guitarfternoon (2001), and was part of the Lightning Raiders, which is pretty well laid out here: https://worddisk.com/wiki/Lightning_Raiders/. Their stuff's pretty good, too, in my estimation -- "Criminal World" seems more timely than ever, in light of who's sitting in the White House! :mrgreen:

You can find more credits here: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1002253-George-Butler-3, and here: http://www.45cat.com/record/bf1471, and lots of little tidbits, like his credit for the Stiff Records slogan, which I didn't know, assuming it's true...anyway, seems to have been one of those guys that didn't get a lot of attention in his own right, but he always managed to pop up somewhere.