No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 11:27am
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 11:25am
JennyB wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 6:35am
JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:09pm
I wouldn't call it Nazidar, but just a good instinct of people I should stay away from.
Cheap red ball caps have come to be good identifiers.
Yep.
But enough about Cardinals fans...
Joke thief!
viewtopic.php?p=579987#p579987
Or just not reading the thread like a common Tepista.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I wouldn't call it Nazidar, but just a good instinct of people I should stay away from.
Yep.
Speaking of, I want to start a change.org to change the name from St. Louis (who was antisemitic and anti-Muslim) to Moranjortsville.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:25pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep.
Speaking of, I want to start a change.org to change the name from St. Louis (who was antisemitic and anti-Muslim) to Moranjortsville.
I'll sign, and then declare democracy dead when it doesn't succeed.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:56pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yep.
Let’s rename it “Paranoid By Black Sabbath.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:56pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Yep.
Let’s rename it “Paranoid By Black Sabbath.”
:lol: If that doesn't become a new board in-joke, we have lost our souls.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

With football back it is good to see how footballers can use their profile to do good work as Marcus Rashford showed this week.
What worries me though when talking about BLM is that it is great Arsenal have it written on their shirts and the players kneel before the game which is a powerful symbol.
However it it is just that, symbols and rituals. It becomes something the players ‘just do’ before a game. You could be racist on the team and just go along with it.
The symbols and actions don’t change anything as we have seen in the past.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:53pm
With football back it is good to see how footballers can use their profile to do good work as Marcus Rashford showed this week.
What worries me though when talking about BLM is that it is great Arsenal have it written on their shirts and the players kneel before the game which is a powerful symbol.
However it it is just that, symbols and rituals. It becomes something the players ‘just do’ before a game. You could be racist on the team and just go along with it.
Still better to show respect though even if the racist is forced to do the same in front of thousands of watchers on TV or eventually live.

The problem I have is the attitude towards the racist. Forget about him/her because they are racist. But what if it's just possible to change someone's mind and get them to see the error of their ways. If you've been raised in a racist environment it may feel like the norm. I want to believe that it's not impossible for someone to change.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
Still better to show respect though even if the racist is forced to do the same in front of thousands of watchers on TV or eventually live.

The problem I have is the attitude towards the racist. Forget about him/her because they are racist. But what if it's just possible to change someone's mind and get them to see the error of their ways. If you've been raised in a racist environment it may feel like the norm. I want to believe that it's not impossible for someone to change.
Absolutely I get that snd yes if by doing what they are doing they can influence or chsnge someone’s views that is great.
But bigger picture changes are needed to stop Police shooting / killing black peoples in US that is where changes need to happen.

If anyone in US has knowledge of laws there I’d like to know if it is lawful to shoot someone whilst they are running away? And if so under what circumstances because escaping custody alone should never be an excuse to shoot someone.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Absolutely I get that snd yes if by doing what they are doing they can influence or chsnge someone’s views that is great.
But bigger picture changes are needed to stop Police shooting / killing black peoples in US that is where changes need to happen.

If anyone in US has knowledge of laws there I’d like to know if it is lawful to shoot someone whilst they are running away? And if so under what circumstances because escaping custody alone should never be an excuse to shoot someone.
Yes in the US but it happens here in the UK in custody. The world over I expect. Yes the current death of George Floyd has at last got the world paying attention but sadly there have been many George Floyd's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

So laws will vary from one jurisdiction to another.

I had an uncle who was a cop and as a kid thru teen years I watched a lot of movies and tv shows with him. He would often point out the inaccuracies around such things. I specifically remember talking about this with him. At the time in the state of new york it would not have been legal. but I want to say that with the militarization of the police there's been a change in tactics and rules of engagement in at least a lot of places. People in this country have allowed themselves to become afraid about all sorts of things and I think TV and movies have played a big role in this. There's been an acculturation of the acceptance of and need for police violence in TV and movies over the years and society is reflecting it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes in the US but it happens here in the UK in custody. The world over I expect. Yes the current death of George Floyd has at last got the world paying attention but sadly there have been many George Floyd's.
It is unlawful in UK to shoot someone for running away / escaping.
You can only shoot to protect your life or someone else’s.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

So laws will vary from one jurisdiction to another.

I had an uncle who was a cop and as a kid thru teen years I watched a lot of movies and tv shows with him. He would often point out the inaccuracies around such things. I specifically remember talking about this with him. At the time in the state of new york it would not have been legal. but I want to say that with the militarization of the police there's been a change in tactics and rules of engagement in at least a lot of places. People in this country have allowed themselves to become afraid about all sorts of things and I think TV and movies have played a big role in this. There's been an acculturation of the acceptance of and need for police violence in TV and movies over the years and society is reflecting it.
From memory some of those cop shooting were suspects escaping. Wasn’t that the case with the most recent one? He did have a taser at one point but if he no longer had it then he was unarmed.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.
I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?
a combination of very powerful police unions and a populace who has been conditioned by entertainment media to trust the police implicitly. Oh, and racism. Lots of racism.