Leaving out This Is England, what is your favourite song on CTC?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

As per thread title

Dictator
3%
Dirty Punk
No votes
Are You Red...y
15%
We Are the Clash
6%
Cool Under Heat
6%
Movers and Shakers
6%
Three Card Trick
38%
Play To Win
No votes
Fingerpoppin'
No votes
North and South
24%
Life Is Wild
3%

Total votes: 34

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Leaving out This Is England, what is your favourite song on CTC?

Post by Wolter »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:36pm
Will never be able to comprehend what strand of deranged idiocy must have been at play when considering the tracklist for the album and deciding that Pouring Rain somehow didnt fit the bill. It's up there among the stupidest and most irrational decisions taken in the course of the bands history for me, and they're were a few of them!
Bernie couldn't figure out how to futurize and radicalize it enough?
That might explain it but doesn't help me to comprehend it. Also the notion of Joe pretty much abdicating any sense of responsibility for it, still find that painful to think about. Actually prefer not to pretty much.
Knowing that Joe was seriously messed up and being manipulated by an evil fucker of a manager makes it easier for me. Knowing that this wasn't a sincere effort at the best he could do post-Mick excises the crime. EW, on the other hand …
Yeah, i guess he did try his heart out on EW and that was best he could do. Short of confidence, doubting himself at that point i feel. That said, talking of irrational idiocy or no, i like EW, flaws and all. Always did, 5-6 tracks I've no bother standing over and i dont consider that a bad haul for any album. I get that might be minority opinion, though.
Yeah. I like it too. It’s no masterpiece, and it was never going to be a hit, but it’s not unpleasant.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've heard EW about 100 times and still couldn't hum some of the songs if I had a gun to my head.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:44pm
I've heard EW about 100 times and still couldn't hum some of the songs if I had a gun to my head.
Yep I agree there are some tunes on there but they are buried under a crap guitar sound which is completely wrong for that record and the songs suffer from not having room to breathe. Too many lyrics crammed into songs with hardly any memorable lines. I play EW less than CtC.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
And you didn’t believe me when I said that for CTC 😉

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
Will never be able to comprehend what strand of deranged idiocy must have been at play when considering the tracklist for the album and deciding that Pouring Rain somehow didnt fit the bill. It's up there among the stupidest and most irrational decisions taken in the course of the bands history for me, and they're were a few of them!
I agree but how bad would it have sounded after the CTC treatment.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Criticisms of EW are all valid enough.

How i would assess it: Island Hopping, Shouting Street, Sleepwalk, Leopardskin, RYD - all well structured and executed tracks, you might not love them but i dont see grounds for hate. Otherwise it can get a bit wordy and clunkey in parts and there's a turkey or two in there. I think Joe's cramming too many ideas in there, overthinking it and best tracks are simple ones. I still like the likes of Gangsterville, Dizzys Goatee, Sikorsky Parts etc but can see why they're not for everyone.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I agree but how bad would it have sounded after the CTC treatment.
I'm already hearing the football chant chorus in my head and i need it to stop right now.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:16pm

How i would assess it: Island Hopping, Shouting Street, Sleepwalk, Leopardskin, RYD - all well structured and executed tracks, you might not love them but i dont see grounds for hate. Otherwise it can get a bit wordy and clunkey in parts and there's a turkey or two in there. I think Joe's cramming too many ideas in there, overthinking it and best tracks are simple ones. I still like the likes of Gangsterville, Dizzys Goatee, Sikorsky Parts etc but can see why they're not for everyone.
Earthquake Weather better than Cut The Crap. That’s about all you can say.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:06pm
Heston wrote:
The thing is CtC is quite tuneful under the barrage of noise. The vocal melodies are mostly pretty good and well constructed. Which is surprising as Joe left to his own devices usually operated around about 3 notes. Only Shouting Street, Island Hopping and Sleepwalk have that sense of melody on EW.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
The thing is CtC is quite tuneful under the barrage of noise. The vocal melodies are mostly pretty good and well constructed. Which is surprising as Joe left to his own devices usually operated around about 3 notes. Only Shouting Street, Island Hopping and Sleepwalk have that sense of melody on EW.
Afetr so many years of denial and avoidance of all things Mark II, yes, I can hear underlying tunes, ideas and melodies in CtC... and some of them are good.

This isn't a thread, it's therapy.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 5:12am
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Olaf on 18 Jun 2020, 7:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:31pm
Low Down Low wrote:

You're probably correct. Still I listen to CtC more often.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 5:12am
Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Afetr so many years of denial and avoidance of all things Mark II, yes, I can hear underlying tunes, ideas and melodies in CtC... and some of them are good.

What do you need in your room at night?
That's right!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Olaf wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 7:16am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I really don’t listen to either very often, why would you when there is so much good stuff.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 3:45pm
Olaf wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 7:16am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I really don’t listen to either very often, why would you when there is so much good stuff.
101 slowly Waking Up. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia