IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 6:25pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 5:36pm
Have you googled this issue on this model? I doubt you would be the only one to experience this.
Yup, I looked, including before I bought it, especially after the last rower went splat on me. No red flags. It got plenty of positive reviews, no complaints about crap manufacturing.
You might just use it more than some people?
That's almost certainly true. A friend said that most people use those things for two weeks and then let it gather dust. Fine, but the idea that a product for home use is good for only 800 kms is serious bullshit. I'm expected to buy a gym-quality machine? Give me a gym-quality cable, then, to put in there.
Hello,

When we bought a treadmill, we bought an Endurance Ironman because it had a lifetime parts and labor guarantee. We've had 4 decks (the board below the belt) and one headboard (the electronics on top) replaced - each time all we paid was a service charge ~$60. I've learned - invest in the guarantee.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 12:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 6:25pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 5:36pm
Have you googled this issue on this model? I doubt you would be the only one to experience this.
Yup, I looked, including before I bought it, especially after the last rower went splat on me. No red flags. It got plenty of positive reviews, no complaints about crap manufacturing.
You might just use it more than some people?
That's almost certainly true. A friend said that most people use those things for two weeks and then let it gather dust. Fine, but the idea that a product for home use is good for only 800 kms is serious bullshit. I'm expected to buy a gym-quality machine? Give me a gym-quality cable, then, to put in there.
Hello,

When we bought a treadmill, we bought an Endurance Ironman because it had a lifetime parts and labor guarantee. We've had 4 decks (the board below the belt) and one headboard (the electronics on top) replaced - each time all we paid was a service charge ~$60. I've learned - invest in the guarantee.
This thing has two to three years warranty, depending on the parts. So I'll be good for a bit anyway.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've been riding my bike again (still in the basement) and still haven't heard back from the company, so I decided to crack open the rower to see if what broke is obvious. Shit, turns out it was just the bike chain. So, off to buy a new chain and chain tool and fix it myself. Never fixed a chain before, but looking at a video it doesn't look that tough.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 10:53am
I've been riding my bike again (still in the basement) and still haven't heard back from the company, so I decided to crack open the rower to see if what broke is obvious. Shit, turns out it was just the bike chain. So, off to buy a new chain and chain tool and fix it myself. Never fixed a chain before, but looking at a video it doesn't look that tough.
A big part is believing you can do it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 10:53am
A big part is believing you can do it.
Fuck—that's my fatal flaw. But in this case, no, popping out and in chain links doesn't look hard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, I've conceded defeat. I can pop out links on the chain, but whenever I try to reattach, the link just snaps on me. I clearly don't have the touch or am otherwise missing some aspect of it. I imagine I just need to do it properly once to see how it's done, but other than videos that make it seem super easy, I don't have any guidance. So I've emailed my old bike repair guy to see whether he'll come by and install a new chain. Sigh. Expensivier and expensivier.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 2:53pm
Well, I've conceded defeat. I can pop out links on the chain, but whenever I try to reattach, the link just snaps on me. I clearly don't have the touch or am otherwise missing some aspect of it. I imagine I just need to do it properly once to see how it's done, but other than videos that make it seem super easy, I don't have any guidance. So I've emailed my old bike repair guy to see whether he'll come by and install a new chain. Sigh. Expensivier and expensivier.
Hello,

I was just going to suggest a bike repair shop person. I've found bicycle shop people to be generally good and helpful - maybe even like below:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 2:53pm
Hello,

I was just going to suggest a bike repair shop person. I've found bicycle shop people to be generally good and helpful - maybe even like below:

Ha! The guys I've been using for the last couple years are great—they travel in a service van and come to your house. So the work is done quicker than dropping it off at a bike shop. I always hated taking my bike in because I'd lose it for a good week. These guys are normally available within 24 hrs.

I'm just annoyed that I couldn't do what seems a fairly simple task. My plan, tho, is to take the remaining chain and practice taking it apart and back together for the next time this happens.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 1:54pm

Sunday run sucked, Tuesday run also was slow and then just bested my PR for my friday run: 29:11 (vs previous best of 29:48)
Compared to previous PR per mile:
1. 10:01 vs 10:20 (this is the 500' climb)
2. 7:15 vs. 7:28
3. 6:50 vs. 6:50
3.75. 6:44 vs 6:50 (pace per mile, not time)

I felt super strong, particularly during the climb (hence the 19 second improvement on that mile). I wasn't even feeling particularly motivated to do a timed run today, but had a nice burst of energy before starting the fun. I think I might try a 10 miler this weekend (post brown rice evacuation this time).
Got another PR last week 28:59 (vs. 29:11):
1. 9:55 vs. 10:01
2. 7:10 vs. 7:15
3. 6:46 vs. 6:50
3.75. 6:51 vs. 6:44

Other than not having as good a kick, I chipped away nicely and am feeling really strong attacking the first hill.

On the weekend I destroyed myself and did a 10.5 mile run averaging 9:20/mile. I was wrecked after. Total elevation gain was 1,810 feet. The SF marathon was 1,689 feet for comparison (at least per my fitbit). Again, probably not impressive to Flex, but good for a non-mountain man.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 5:35pm
matedog wrote:

Sunday run sucked, Tuesday run also was slow and then just bested my PR for my friday run: 29:11 (vs previous best of 29:48)

I felt super strong, particularly during the climb (hence the 19 second improvement on that mile). I wasn't even feeling particularly motivated to do a timed run today, but had a nice burst of energy before starting the fun. I think I might try a 10 miler this weekend (post brown rice evacuation this time).

Other than not having as good a kick, I chipped away nicely and am feeling really strong attacking the first hill.

On the weekend I destroyed myself and did a 10.5 mile run averaging 9:20/mile. I was wrecked after. Total elevation gain was 1,810 feet. The SF marathon was 1,689 feet for comparison (at least per my fitbit). Again, probably not impressive to Flex, but good for a non-mountain man.
Do you run on street, or do you have a bit of wilderness with a nice trail? I prefer that if I can get it because the terrain tends to be more varied between hills of all different sizes and stretches of flatland that makes it way more interesting for me. And better for the joints too.

I've been able to basically autopilot my 80 flights (1,600 steps) this week so i think I'm going to jump up to 100 next week (2,000 steps). I haven't gotten faster in a while (dead legs when going back down the stairs each time are the main time suck), but an extra 400 steps shouldn't take too much longer to get used to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Aaaand my bike guy is booked up until the middle of next month. I spent two more hours with mixed success taking apart and putting together links. Nowhere close to creating something that could be put in the rower. So, fuck. I'm resigned to riding the bike, which shouldn't be so bad but I've really come to enjoy rowing so biking seems like a capitulation of sorts.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 7:42pm
matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 5:35pm
matedog wrote:

Do you run on street, or do you have a bit of wilderness with a nice trail? I prefer that if I can get it because the terrain tends to be more varied between hills of all different sizes and stretches of flatland that makes it way more interesting for me. And better for the joints too.

I've been able to basically autopilot my 80 flights (1,600 steps) this week so i think I'm going to jump up to 100 next week (2,000 steps). I haven't gotten faster in a while (dead legs when going back down the stairs each time are the main time suck), but an extra 400 steps shouldn't take too much longer to get used to.
Hello,

If you're running real stairs or a stadium, be careful with going downstairs. When I run bleachers or stadiums, I usually double step up, single step down. Two reasons: 1) people don't fall up stairs, they fall down stairs; and 2) running downstairs will make your legs sore much more so than running up stairs. The eccentric contractions on the way down will lead to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Race up, walk down.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:15pm
Aaaand my bike guy is booked up until the middle of next month. I spent two more hours with mixed success taking apart and putting together links. Nowhere close to creating something that could be put in the rower. So, fuck. I'm resigned to riding the bike, which shouldn't be so bad but I've really come to enjoy rowing so biking seems like a capitulation of sorts.
Im still trying to get a new bike.

I fo7nd one last week but it was late in the day and I had no time to ride plus didnt have my helmet. Long story short it sold before I could get it.

I have an appointment next week at a show an hour away to try the same bike.

Bikes my size are hard to come by.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I fo7nd one last week but it was late in the day and I had no time to ride plus didnt have my helmet. Long story short it sold before I could get it.

Now that I know you're a Frankenstein, yeah, I see the problem. My bike is standard 26” wheels with the seat fairly high up, but I guess you'd need something even bigger (frame, even wheels?). Do you have to go thru a bike shop for that? And doesn't Vermont's hippie culture prefer unicyles?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Now that I know you're a Frankenstein, yeah, I see the problem. My bike is standard 26” wheels with the seat fairly high up, but I guess you'd need something even bigger (frame, even wheels?). Do you have to go thru a bike shop for that? And doesn't Vermont's hippie culture prefer unicyles?
I forget the dimensions but it is an XXL