This Is England Appreciation Thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: This Is England Appreciation Thread

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:16pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:06pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:03pm
Reading the comments above about the pace of the song, I think's fine. It has to be world weary and downbeat to fit the mood.
RIght, which is the usual defence of that crappy Verve song. Intention is acknowledged, but that doesn't make me want to listen to either of them. Sometimes you just bundle up your misery, shove it inside your being, and don't sing it in a way that makes people contemptuous.
Well yeah, maybe I'm a sucker for mournful ballads. Saying that, using your logic, Straight To Hell should have been a fast punk number.
Things happen in Straight to Hell. Some things happen (to a lesser degree) in TIE. Fucking nothing happens on BSS
You know what, I really think you have to experience our weather system for a few years to appreciate that song. I can see why it mightn't resonate in California. My point stands though, morose songs can be fucking great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:18pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Reading the comments above about the pace of the song, I think's fine. It has to be world weary and downbeat to fit the mood.
RIght, which is the usual defence of that crappy Verve song. Intention is acknowledged, but that doesn't make me want to listen to either of them. Sometimes you just bundle up your misery, shove it inside your being, and don't sing it in a way that makes people contemptuous.
Well yeah, maybe I'm a sucker for mournful ballads. Saying that, using your logic, Straight To Hell should have been a fast punk number.
Ha! Point taken. But STH doesn't plod; it has a groove. Ear of the beholder and all that, but TIE grinds.
I think Straight To Hell would have "grinded" with the Cut the Crap drum machine, the biggest achilles heel of the record.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Ha! Point taken. But STH doesn't plod; it has a groove. Ear of the beholder and all that, but TIE grinds.
I think Straight To Hell would have "grinded" with the Cut the Crap drum machine, the biggest achilles heel of the record.
That's quite possible. And maybe with Topper's or Pete's touch some of my dislike would be remedied. But that's not what we got.

Also, and this is a separate issue, it's toss-up for me whether the Achilles' heel of the album is the drum programming or those fucking soccer chant choruses. 1a and 1b, anyway.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:30pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's quite possible. And maybe with Topper's or Pete's touch some of my dislike would be remedied. But that's not what we got.

Also, and this is a separate issue, it's toss-up for me whether the Achilles' heel of the album is the drum programming or those fucking soccer chant choruses. 1a and 1b, anyway.
Yes, I nearly put in brackets (along with the chanted choruses).

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
And maybe with Topper's or Pete's touch some of my dislike would be remedied. But that's not what we got.
Yes, but to be fair I was making a comment about the merging of Czech Song and TIE, negating the shitty drum machine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 7:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And maybe with Topper's or Pete's touch some of my dislike would be remedied. But that's not what we got.
Yes, but to be fair I was making a comment about the merging of Czech Song and TIE, negating the shitty drum machine.
Fair enough. I was hung up on the defences of the proper release. Was it Jon Savage who called it the last great punk single? Jesus Christ on a cracker.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

The first place this single's release was advertised on, was the BBC's 'Ceefax'

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I like the song well enough. The fold out sleeve on the other hand...
Attachments
thisisengland_7_poster_950.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Maybe as a double A-side with Fingerpoppin'.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 5:29am
Those two at the back have huge heads compared to Joe.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 9:02am
Olaf wrote:
Yeah but Joe had the larger ego.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Olaf wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 1:14pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Honestly, I know it wasn’t, but this photo looks like a bad photoshop/composite.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 1:23pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Honestly, I know it wasn’t, but this photo looks like a bad photoshop/composite.
Joe was a small guy.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Paul looks like a cat whose owner has just sneezed.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 5:58pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 1:23pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Joe was a small guy.
It’s not just him, though. None of them really look like they’re in the same room, which is probably representative of how they all related to each other then.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"