EET Week Youtube Upload - 1984-04-03!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

EET Week Youtube Upload - 1984-04-03!

Post by matedog »

Didn't see this one up on youtube, so I added it:

Essentially the first half of the show, but it's a nice, tight setlist featuring a ton of Clash 2 stuff and a nice mix of 77-82 beyond that. CK brought this show to my attention for the really nice This Is England. They would stop playing this song within the next week and only dust it off one more time after for the December 6th show.

The March-May tour is interesting to me because you can see the band really take off. This is on the earlier end, but you can already note things maturing and fleshing out. Pouring Rain is the prime example where the song warped dramatically as the band put a lot of effort into rearranging the song to emphasize the strengths and eschew the weaknesses. The version on this show is probably closer to the 83 demo/Winter 84 rendition but is developing nicely and it's fun to hear a midpoint arrangement before the late May/Dope version that we all know well. It's maintains the original tempo which results in a lot of rushed Joe lyrics, particularly on the busier arrangement. They would go on to slow it down to great effect.

Here's the bmc link: http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk/Pages ... lanta.html
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: EET Week Youtube Upload - 1984-04-03!

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 1:00am
Didn't see this one up on youtube, so I added it:

Essentially the first half of the show, but it's a nice, tight setlist featuring a ton of Clash 2 stuff and a nice mix of 77-82 beyond that. CK brought this show to my attention for the really nice This Is England. They would stop playing this song within the next week and only dust it off one more time after for the December 6th show.

The March-May tour is interesting to me because you can see the band really take off. This is on the earlier end, but you can already note things maturing and fleshing out. Pouring Rain is the prime example where the song warped dramatically as the band put a lot of effort into rearranging the song to emphasize the strengths and eschew the weaknesses. The version on this show is probably closer to the 83 demo/Winter 84 rendition but is developing nicely and it's fun to hear a midpoint arrangement before the late May/Dope version that we all know well. It's maintains the original tempo which results in a lot of rushed Joe lyrics, particularly on the busier arrangement. They would go on to slow it down to great effect.

Here's the bmc link: http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk/Pages ... lanta.html
Nearly done listening now. Joe's singing in 1984 is probably the best it ever got live. It's a shame he never got it that disciplined earlier in their career when he had a superior band. You can tell he's had singing lessons, probably since 1982 I'd guess.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board