Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 7:59pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 6:10pm
I just learned that Jesus Jones are still at it for no just reason.
Heston rebuttal in 3...2...1...
Does the UK have State Fairs?
What is a State Fair is that like a farming / agriculture or County Show or something?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:08pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 6:10pm
I just learned that Jesus Jones are still at it for no just reason.
What is a State Fair is that like a farming / agriculture or County Show or something?
Yes!

And over here you get all these washed up bands that tour the state fairs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:07pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:04pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:

LOL. Who else would be on that bill? Im thinking they would need 3 acts but I cant recall what other nonsense was popular then
Let's go with Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Inspiral Carpets.
The Carpets were great, don't drag them into this.
This Is How It Feels was ahead of its time. That could have charted in the early 21st century.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:48pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:20pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:19pm

Wait you're NOT a JJ fan? Didn't they chart pretty high?
They are shit.
But...but their chart position...

UK Number 1s
UK Top 10s
UK Top 40s
UK Top 75s
Weeks at Number 1
Weeks in Top 10
Weeks in Top 40
Weeks in Top 75
Charts aren't always my judge. Only when it suits me
I truly like and respect you Heston but if we ever went out drinking its a toss up as to whether or not blood would be spilled. And to clarify, I say this as a person who is currently drunk.
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 2:37am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:20pm

They are shit.
But...but their chart position...

UK Number 1s
UK Top 10s
UK Top 40s
UK Top 75s
Weeks at Number 1
Weeks in Top 10
Weeks in Top 40
Weeks in Top 75
Charts aren't always my judge. Only when it suits me
I truly like and respect you Heston but if we ever went out drinking its a toss up as to whether or not blood would be spilled. And to clarify, I say this as a person who is currently drunk.
:lol:
As this thread took a turn to the 90s I just want it known that Heston is UNBELIEVABLE!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
:lol: One of my seminar strategies (which I borrowed from a prof who taught me way back when) is to have them consider a scenario where some of the authors we've read show up in a bar. Are they going to be closing the place singing songs together, or are the cops going to be called and teeth swept up, and why? That is, does author A agree with author B, etc? How and where do they agree or disagree? You always get students going literal and saying these disagreements shouldn't come to blows, but I've found it's a fun and funny way of treating intellectual positions. And by the end of term, when we've got a good dozen scholars under our belts and everyone knows the game, that bar is full with scholars ready to throw down.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 6:28am
revbob wrote:
:lol: One of my seminar strategies (which I borrowed from a prof who taught me way back when) is to have them consider a scenario where some of the authors we've read show up in a bar. Are they going to be closing the place singing songs together, or are the cops going to be called and teeth swept up, and why? That is, does author A agree with author B, etc? How and where do they agree or disagree? You always get students going literal and saying these disagreements shouldn't come to blows, but I've found it's a fun and funny way of treating intellectual positions. And by the end of term, when we've got a good dozen scholars under our belts and everyone knows the game, that bar is full with scholars ready to throw down.
All I can say is that you do NOT want to piss off Judy Blume when she has been drinking.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
All I can say is that you do NOT want to piss off Judy Blume when she has been drinking.
First-hand experience or reputation?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:40pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Neither. I was just trying to think of a writer who would be unlikely to be thought of as a ruffian.

I'll get me coat.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Neither. I was just trying to think of a writer who would be unlikely to be thought of as a ruffian.

I'll get me coat.
Ha! Me overthink joke and roon it. Are you there, bartender? Judy needs a refill!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 1:21pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'll get me coat.
Ha! Me overthink joke and roon it. Are you there, bartender? Judy needs a refill!
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Whenever I'm at the in laws, they play modern country music. I've talked at length around here about my disdain for the genre and my inability to understand the root of my visceral disgust for it.

Regardless, I had two observations yesterday:
1. A song was playing and I thought, "this is basically Nickelback in terms of songwriting, production, and performance." I looked up the song and it was Rascal Flatts which I understand is a very popular band. More importantly, the song sounded like all the songs that came before and after it which lead me to realize that the base quality of modern country is the same as Nickelback which is considered pretty much the worst modern rock band. So standard modern country is the equivalent of the worst modern rock.

2. I got really excited when I heard a song I knew. It took me pretty much the entire song to figure out what it was, but it was "Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles. I've never been excited to hear The Eagles before in my life.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 9:27am
Whenever I'm at the in laws, they play modern country music. I've talked at length around here about my disdain for the genre and my inability to understand the root of my visceral disgust for it.

1. A song was playing and I thought, "this is basically Nickelback in terms of songwriting, production, and performance." I looked up the song and it was Rascal Flatts which I understand is a very popular band. More importantly, the song sounded like all the songs that came before and after it which lead me to realize that the base quality of modern country is the same as Nickelback which is considered pretty much the worst modern rock band. So standard modern country is the equivalent of the worst modern rock.

2. I got really excited when I heard a song I knew. It took me pretty much the entire song to figure out what it was, but it was "Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles. I've never been excited to hear The Eagles before in my life.
From my limited exposure to it, modern country music is basic rock with a twang. When hip hop took over the mainstream, rock found a home in country. I'm sure there's nothing, no sir, racial in any of that.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 9:44am
matedog wrote:

From my limited exposure to it, modern country music is basic rock with a twang. When hip hop took over the mainstream, rock found a home in country. I'm sure there's nothing, no sir, racial in any of that.
My understanding is there is the country industry controls the songwriting and production and that's likely responsible for the sterile, generic approach to the music. I don't think there is much of an analog to rock in that respect, though I may be wrong.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 9:44am
matedog wrote:

My understanding is there is the country industry controls the songwriting and production and that's likely responsible for the sterile, generic approach to the music. I don't think there is much of an analog to rock in that respect, though I may be wrong.
Np, you're right, but I'm talking aesthetics. Modern country sounds a lot like regular old rock from the 70s and 80s. Where do people who like regular rock go on the radio? Classic rock stations, sure, but not Top 40, which is hip hop/dance pop dominated. Gotta go to country for new mainstream rock. Rock has been predominantly white since the 60s, so it makes sense to merge with equally white country once the Top 40 format turned to more obvious black music.