IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 5:35pm
matedog wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 1:54pm

Sunday run sucked, Tuesday run also was slow and then just bested my PR for my friday run: 29:11 (vs previous best of 29:48)
Compared to previous PR per mile:
1. 10:01 vs 10:20 (this is the 500' climb)
2. 7:15 vs. 7:28
3. 6:50 vs. 6:50
3.75. 6:44 vs 6:50 (pace per mile, not time)

I felt super strong, particularly during the climb (hence the 19 second improvement on that mile). I wasn't even feeling particularly motivated to do a timed run today, but had a nice burst of energy before starting the fun. I think I might try a 10 miler this weekend (post brown rice evacuation this time).
Got another PR last week 28:59 (vs. 29:11):
1. 9:55 vs. 10:01
2. 7:10 vs. 7:15
3. 6:46 vs. 6:50
3.75. 6:51 vs. 6:44

Other than not having as good a kick, I chipped away nicely and am feeling really strong attacking the first hill.

On the weekend I destroyed myself and did a 10.5 mile run averaging 9:20/mile. I was wrecked after. Total elevation gain was 1,810 feet. The SF marathon was 1,689 feet for comparison (at least per my fitbit). Again, probably not impressive to Flex, but good for a non-mountain man.
It's pretty impressive man. You're fast.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:15pm
Aaaand my bike guy is booked up until the middle of next month. I spent two more hours with mixed success taking apart and putting together links. Nowhere close to creating something that could be put in the rower. So, fuck. I'm resigned to riding the bike, which shouldn't be so bad but I've really come to enjoy rowing so biking seems like a capitulation of sorts.
Im still trying to get a new bike.

I fo7nd one last week but it was late in the day and I had no time to ride plus didnt have my helmet. Long story short it sold before I could get it.

I have an appointment next week at a show an hour away to try the same bike.

Bikes my size are hard to come by.
Now that I know you're a Frankenstein, yeah, I see the problem. My bike is standard 26” wheels with the seat fairly high up, but I guess you'd need something even bigger (frame, even wheels?). Do you have to go thru a bike shop for that? And doesn't Vermont's hippie culture prefer unicyles?
I forget the dimensions but it is an XXL
Doubtless you have to pay arms and legs for that. Ugh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Got word a few hours ago that softball is on for the summer

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 8:28pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 7:42pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:

Sunday run sucked, Tuesday run also was slow and then just bested my PR for my friday run: 29:11 (vs previous best of 29:48)

I felt super strong, particularly during the climb (hence the 19 second improvement on that mile). I wasn't even feeling particularly motivated to do a timed run today, but had a nice burst of energy before starting the fun. I think I might try a 10 miler this weekend (post brown rice evacuation this time).

Other than not having as good a kick, I chipped away nicely and am feeling really strong attacking the first hill.

On the weekend I destroyed myself and did a 10.5 mile run averaging 9:20/mile. I was wrecked after. Total elevation gain was 1,810 feet. The SF marathon was 1,689 feet for comparison (at least per my fitbit). Again, probably not impressive to Flex, but good for a non-mountain man.
Do you run on street, or do you have a bit of wilderness with a nice trail? I prefer that if I can get it because the terrain tends to be more varied between hills of all different sizes and stretches of flatland that makes it way more interesting for me. And better for the joints too.

I've been able to basically autopilot my 80 flights (1,600 steps) this week so i think I'm going to jump up to 100 next week (2,000 steps). I haven't gotten faster in a while (dead legs when going back down the stairs each time are the main time suck), but an extra 400 steps shouldn't take too much longer to get used to.
Hello,

If you're running real stairs or a stadium, be careful with going downstairs. When I run bleachers or stadiums, I usually double step up, single step down. Two reasons: 1) people don't fall up stairs, they fall down stairs; and 2) running downstairs will make your legs sore much more so than running up stairs. The eccentric contractions on the way down will lead to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Race up, walk down.
If you think people don't fall up stairs, you've never banged your shin on the corner of a concrete step!

I try to be careful on the way down, definitely one at a time, but I don't have time to walk down. My schedule is seriously screwed up so I really only have a half hour to exercise per day. Plus I try to get it done as quickly as possible so I don't have to run into other people trying to use the stairs during these infected times.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 2:21pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:

Do you run on street, or do you have a bit of wilderness with a nice trail? I prefer that if I can get it because the terrain tends to be more varied between hills of all different sizes and stretches of flatland that makes it way more interesting for me. And better for the joints too.

I've been able to basically autopilot my 80 flights (1,600 steps) this week so i think I'm going to jump up to 100 next week (2,000 steps). I haven't gotten faster in a while (dead legs when going back down the stairs each time are the main time suck), but an extra 400 steps shouldn't take too much longer to get used to.
Hello,

If you're running real stairs or a stadium, be careful with going downstairs. When I run bleachers or stadiums, I usually double step up, single step down. Two reasons: 1) people don't fall up stairs, they fall down stairs; and 2) running downstairs will make your legs sore much more so than running up stairs. The eccentric contractions on the way down will lead to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Race up, walk down.
If you think people don't fall up stairs, you've never banged your shin on the corner of a concrete step!

I try to be careful on the way down, definitely one at a time, but I don't have time to walk down. My schedule is seriously screwed up so I really only have a half hour to exercise per day. Plus I try to get it done as quickly as possible so I don't have to run into other people trying to use the stairs during these infected times.
I imagine that can be hell on your knees too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

I've fallen up stairs as well. I say "People don't fall up stairs,...." to students who tend to rush down stairs. I don't walk down but taking them one at a time will help reduce DOMS. If you have only 30 minutes, you may want to consider bounding up stairs. Bounding is a single leg take-off, single leg landing, and immediate take-off upon landing. Go up a flight (depending on number of stairs) bounding right leg, then next flight left leg. Some will then bound with both legs on the third flight, others (myself included) will just alternate right/left. You can bound double steps or single steps. If you're looking to up your heart rate quickly, this might be a good option. Be sure to explode immediately upon landing. This is a more plyometric workout but I enjoyed it. It's a shame if your time is so limited. I'd seek out a local college or university stadium/facility. You're outside, no people to bump into (I really scared some people working in the Empire State building when I used to run that).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

I've fallen up stairs as well. I say "People don't fall up stairs,...." to students who tend to rush down stairs. I don't walk down but taking them one at a time will help reduce DOMS. If you have only 30 minutes, you may want to consider bounding up stairs. Bounding is a single leg take-off, single leg landing, and immediate take-off upon landing. Go up a flight (depending on number of stairs) bounding right leg, then next flight left leg. Some will then bound with both legs on the third flight, others (myself included) will just alternate right/left. You can bound double steps or single steps. If you're looking to up your heart rate quickly, this might be a good option. Be sure to explode immediately upon landing. This is a more plyometric workout but I enjoyed it. It's a shame if your time is so limited. I'd seek out a local college or university stadium/facility. You're outside, no people to bump into (I really scared some people working in the Empire State building when I used to run that).
We have a stadium at the Seattle Center here that all the local high schools use, but I think it's not open to the public since it's not actually on school grounds or something. I've thought about buying a stairmill, but it kind of defeats the enjoyment I get out of doing it for real, I think I would get as bored as on a treadmill. I don't like doing cardio stuff at the best of times, but discovering that I actually enjoy running stairs makes me reluctant to find something else.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 2:28pm
I imagine that can be hell on your knees too.
I tend to feel it more in my right hip, I haven't had much or any knee pain so far. I think as long as I'm not stomping down the things it feels ok.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 9:16pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:

It's pretty impressive man. You're fast.
I hadn't run the route before and actually had to walk for a portion. I had planned out the initial big ass incline but not a second one like five miles in. It was too much. Kept up a good pace ultimately though. The downhill at the end is pretty funny.
Attachments
51F93F09-DA37-43D7-8671-D65081FEC8BB.jpeg
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also pr'd again today by 4 seconds: 28:55 vs. 28:59. What was cool was I was behind halfway through but ran a stupid fast third mile to make up:
1. 10:02 (today) vs 9:55
2. 7:15 (today) vs 7:10
3. 6:33 (today) vs 6:46
4. 6:48 (today) vs 6:51

Not my favorite way to pace, but it worked out in the end.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 3:56pm
gkbill wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

We have a stadium at the Seattle Center here that all the local high schools use, but I think it's not open to the public since it's not actually on school grounds or something. I've thought about buying a stairmill, but it kind of defeats the enjoyment I get out of doing it for real, I think I would get as bored as on a treadmill. I don't like doing cardio stuff at the best of times, but discovering that I actually enjoy running stairs makes me reluctant to find something else.
Hello,

I agree on stadiums being better as they're outside. Additionally, there's usually a route you can develop as opposed to just the straight up and down in a building. Autzen Stadium (University of Oregon) has parabolic stairs - as you get higher in the rows of the stadium, the steps get steeper and higher - plus, you have to figure out where to start and where to finish. In a straight up and down building, I would do something like up 3 flights, down 2, up 3 flights, down 2, etc. to work my way up. In a stadium or arena, you can run up a flight, take a lap around the concourse to the next staircase. More variety, more better!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill is pretty much this in my imagination:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 8:21pm
gkbill is pretty much this in my imagination:
Hello,

You have a very kind imagination.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Finally got the new bike.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 6:29pm
Finally got the new bike.
Yee haw. Time to monstrousize those quads.