IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 6:29pm
Finally got the new bike.
Yee haw. Time to monstrousize those quads.
Ill be happy to not get winded too easily right now. Been a fucking sloth for months.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 7:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ill be happy to not get winded too easily right now. Been a fucking sloth for months.
Good luck with that! That was always the most humbling part of starting a new cycling season—getting my stamina back.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:00pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Good luck with that! That was always the most humbling part of starting a new cycling season—getting my stamina back.
Im gonna stick to flats for now. And I have the tendency to push myself past where I should sensibly go.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im gonna stick to flats for now. And I have the tendency to push myself past where I should sensibly go.
Better to go slower and not coast/take breaks than give 'er shit and drain yourself. I say that knowing I always ignore my own advice and kill myself.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Better to go slower and not coast/take breaks than give 'er shit and drain yourself. I say that knowing I always ignore my own advice and kill myself.
Yeah I often do just that and I go much further than I should leaving me a mess on the return.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yep it is hard not to get frustrated with yourself when your levels aren't as good as they were at end of season. If you can get your head round that and build appropriately you will be fine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yep it is hard not to get frustrated with yourself when your levels aren't as good as they were at end of season. If you can get your head round that and build appropriately you will be fine.
Yeah Im not a patient motherfucker especially with myself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

For me, it feeds in my desire to beat myself up for not being good enough. Exercise as bad therapy!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:29pm
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

For me, it feeds in my desire to beat myself up for not being good enough. Exercise as bad therapy!
Yeah which is why it took 25+ years to get a new bike because someone like me didn't deserve it. If you scratch the surface Im a fucking mess.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

It's a good idea to review your goals for each session prior to starting the session. When I was doing a lot of mileage, I would think about what this run/workout was about just before starting. It helped me maintain my pace throughout.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 12:42am
Hello,

It's a good idea to review your goals for each session prior to starting the session. When I was doing a lot of mileage, I would think about what this run/workout was about just before starting. It helped me maintain my pace throughout.
Heh, you'll probably wince at this but my strategy consists of having a minimum time in mind that steadily decreases, and otherwise just seek to be as fast as I can. If I can hit the former, it's good; if it's the latter, it's great. I'm a strict record keeper in terms of both cycling and rowing, so I am able to figure out those expectations.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah which is why it took 25+ years to get a new bike because someone like me didn't deserve it. If you scratch the surface Im a fucking mess.
I hear ya. One of the things I've evolved to is exercise gear—it's one thing I allow myself to spend money on. Tho by nature I don't spend money easily.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:32am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Heh, you'll probably wince at this but my strategy consists of having a minimum time in mind that steadily decreases, and otherwise just seek to be as fast as I can. If I can hit the former, it's good; if it's the latter, it's great. I'm a strict record keeper in terms of both cycling and rowing, so I am able to figure out those expectations.
Hello,

I usually think of a floor and a ceiling. The floor is a time/distance I have to beat no matter how I'm feeling. The ceiling is my best time - if I'm feeling good, get off to a good start, nice day - then I go for beating that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:32am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I usually think of a floor and a ceiling. The floor is a time/distance I have to beat no matter how I'm feeling. The ceiling is my best time - if I'm feeling good, get off to a good start, nice day - then I go for beating that.
Okay, so you didn't wince. I figured my crude, bull-headed approach would leave you dismayed. Generally, as long as I do better than my average time for the year, I'm happy. Just keep lowering that average is my goal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You people and your lofty goals.

I intended to do my maiden voyage early this morning. But rain said otherwise.