Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 1:31pm
Speaking of punks named Viv.

38) Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine. Kindle. 2014. A little difficult to read, as all truly honest books are. The Slits are just one thing that happened to her in a life full of emotional struggle and incident, but she's good on the sights, sounds and smells of all your favourite punk rockers. Difficulty conceiving, cancer, grown up issues are the heart of the book. Her passion really flies off the page as she rediscovers herself amidst a collapsing marriage in Hastings, picking the guitar back up. Written in an immediate present tense with occasional italicised editorialising from the present day. A triumphant book, human and real.
Ended up reading this as a bedtime book and finished last night. It was quite compelling, with the Slits/punk part, in retrospect, the boring part of her life. The only thing I hesitated over was that for someone, post-Slits, who had a pretty unassuming life, there was a crazy amount of drama that makes me a bit wary. Upteen in vitro treatments that only work on the last possible try, then an immediate cancer diagnosis with recurring health problems, dangerous weight loss, seduction by a creepy moviemaker, disintegrating marriage, rebirth of music, psycho semi-boyfriend. And that's all cramped in over about a dozen years. Any one or two of these things is more than enough drama for a person, but it's just on and on and on with her. I'm not saying she's lying, but towards the end it seemed a bit too much.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:19am
Silent Majority wrote:

38) Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine. Kindle. 2014. A little difficult to read, as all truly honest books are. The Slits are just one thing that happened to her in a life full of emotional struggle and incident, but she's good on the sights, sounds and smells of all your favourite punk rockers. Difficulty conceiving, cancer, grown up issues are the heart of the book. Her passion really flies off the page as she rediscovers herself amidst a collapsing marriage in Hastings, picking the guitar back up. Written in an immediate present tense with occasional italicised editorialising from the present day. A triumphant book, human and real.
Ended up reading this as a bedtime book and finished last night. It was quite compelling, with the Slits/punk part, in retrospect, the boring part of her life. The only thing I hesitated over was that for someone, post-Slits, who had a pretty unassuming life, there was a crazy amount of drama that makes me a bit wary. Upteen in vitro treatments that only work on the last possible try, then an immediate cancer diagnosis with recurring health problems, dangerous weight loss, seduction by a creepy moviemaker, disintegrating marriage, rebirth of music, psycho semi-boyfriend. And that's all cramped in over about a dozen years. Any one or two of these things is more than enough drama for a person, but it's just on and on and on with her. I'm not saying she's lying, but towards the end it seemed a bit too much.
Interesting - it didn't strike me as much in that period of time. Life can be busy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Interesting - it didn't strike me as much in that period of time. Life can be busy.
It seemed hard to fathom how she had a life because it seemed a dozen years of straight upheaval. Even acknowledging that we don't read about all the boring stuff, it's still a lot of what most people would consider pretty major shit happening. She just seems a magnet for disaster.

Weirdly, for someone with all that stress in her middle age, somehow she has aged incredibly well. You'd think she'd be haggard given it all, but she's still quite beautiful.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:33am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

It seemed hard to fathom how she had a life because it seemed a dozen years of straight upheaval. Even acknowledging that we don't read about all the boring stuff, it's still a lot of what most people would consider pretty major shit happening. She just seems a magnet for disaster.

Weirdly, for someone with all that stress in her middle age, somehow she has aged incredibly well. You'd think she'd be haggard given it all, but she's still quite beautiful.
Yeah, I'd chop Hoy's arm off to take her out for dinner.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:33am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Finally, my Def Leppard cover band is coming together.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Ha! Take the rest of the day off for that bon mot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:38pm
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
No! Tell Me More.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
No! Tell Me More.
Lousy company man, fucking over the working stiff.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:52pm
Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
No! Tell Me More.
Lousy company man, fucking over the working stiff.
Trenchant Observation.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Ah shit, I had the selection wrong
Attachments
tellmemore.png
tellmemore.png (163.95 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 5:28pm
Man, that went right over my head. I still don't remember it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
It's the "My Dinner with Andre" game that Martin plays at the arcade.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Vaguely, vaguely remember that. Strange.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's a VERY short joke:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's a VERY short joke:

Clearly. No way today's writers would make that kind of reference.