IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:42am
You people and your lofty goals.
I'm immensely self-competitive. I don't care about other people being better, but I need a sense that I'm getting better than where I was. Never bothered me when a young guy would pass me while cycling. Part of it was, well, I've got some 25 years on him, so I should hope he could pass me (indeed, I actually felt a bit of contempt when I passed young guys on good bikes and all geared up). For my age, tho, I know I'm doing okay, but I know I can be better.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I was planning on ramping up this week but Monday was terribly difficult. I think it might have been the gin I drank the night before. Today is my second go at it, we'll see what happens.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, the slow process of dealing with my rower seems to be nearing an end. After back-and-forthing with their service department, their sending me a whole new rower. Over a busted chain! I figured they'd just pay to have someone install a new chain, but nope. Weird as hell.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:40pm
So, the slow process of dealing with my rower seems to be nearing an end. After back-and-forthing with their service department, their sending me a whole new rower. Over a busted chain! I figured they'd just pay to have someone install a new chain, but nope. Weird as hell.
Are they taking the old one back?

I just did a 30 min ride 15 out and back. Went about 75% the whole time didn't want to get too tired. Got my heart rate up and sweat a bit. Probably shouldn't have had that pint before I went out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nope. I had to sign a release that I'd throw it out, and if I don't, I'm fully responsible for any injury on it.

So, I guess, having someone install a new chain means I have a back-up (assuming it works). Worst case, I have back-up parts if the display fails or the handles break. I can sort of understand the cost of shipping it back, but it still seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't just have a new chain installed.
I just did a 30 min ride 15 out and back. Went about 75% the whole time didn't want to get too tired. Got my heart rate up and sweat a bit. Probably shouldn't have had that pint before I went out.
Pint afterwards, monsieur. To rehydrate, of course. But a half hour is a solid amount for slowly building back your stamina.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:00pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nope. I had to sign a release that I'd throw it out, and if I don't, I'm fully responsible for any injury on it.

So, I guess, having someone install a new chain means I have a back-up (assuming it works). Worst case, I have back-up parts if the display fails or the handles break. I can sort of understand the cost of shipping it back, but it still seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't just have a new chain installed.
Pint afterwards, monsieur. To rehydrate, of course. But a half hour is a solid amount for slowly building back your stamina.
Yeah the afternoon beer(s) have been my work demarcation point as in sorry cant help you now its 5 and Im drinking. Maybe Ill change that to a bike ride instead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah the afternoon beer(s) have been my work demarcation point as in sorry cant help you now its 5 and Im drinking. Maybe Ill change that to a bike ride instead.
Several years ago, I read that drinking a beer was better for rehydration than water. I have no idea if that's true, but I decided, yeah, it must be, so after my rides I'd cool down with an ale before having a bath.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:16pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Several years ago, I read that drinking a beer was better for rehydration than water. I have no idea if that's true, but I decided, yeah, it must be, so after my rides I'd cool down with an ale before having a bath.
Last thing I need is another excuse but past summer rides have often included stops to have a beer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Last thing I need is another excuse but past summer rides have often included stops to have a beer.
You're very responsible for your body's hydration needs.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There is probably some truth to that. Water contains...water that will help rehydrate you but nothing else. However beer contains water but also has sugar and other nutrients your body needs replacing after exercise. Whilst beer may not be the top of the list it is probably better than water.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:28pm
There is probably some truth to that. Water contains...water that will help rehydrate you but nothing else. However beer contains water but also has sugar and other nutrients your body needs replacing after exercise. Whilst beer may not be the top of the list it is probably better than water.
Yeah, that's what I recall the argument was—that you lose so much more than water.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah, that's what I recall the argument was—that you lose so much more than water.
Hello,

I'm sorry to spoil this but alcohol is a strong diuretic. Having a beer (beers) post workout is a standard feature for me but make sure you drink water as well. A pint of water, a pint of your choice (darker's probably better than lighter).

When I was coaching the women's soccer program at the University of North Carolina (assistant coach), the head of Sports Medicine at UNC was Bill Prentice. Prentice used to work with the women's soccer program because the program was so fun (and they won multiple national championships). We were gifted with many things from companies looking to promote their product. Gatorade sent us cases of Gatorload - their version of a post-activity replenishing drink (I don't think it ever made it to market). It was horrible - really thick like motor oil mixed with maple syrup. Prentice said we'd be better off with O'Doul's (sp?) but the University probably wouldn't like the girls stretching on the field post-game drinking from brown bottles.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

I'm sorry to spoil this but alcohol is a strong diuretic. Having a beer (beers) post workout is a standard feature for me but make sure you drink water as well. A pint of water, a pint of your choice (darker's probably better than lighter).

When I was coaching the women's soccer program at the University of North Carolina (assistant coach), the head of Sports Medicine at UNC was Bill Prentice. Prentice used to work with the women's soccer program because the program was so fun (and they won multiple national championships). We were gifted with many things from companies looking to promote their product. Gatorade sent us cases of Gatorload - their version of a post-activity replenishing drink (I don't think it ever made it to market). It was horrible - really thick like motor oil mixed with maple syrup. Prentice said we'd be better off with O'Doul's (sp?) but the University probably wouldn't like the girls stretching on the field post-game drinking from brown bottles.
It was very weird following 50.5W around Europe and athletics meetings. In NZ you would never see beer even on sale For the crowd at an athletics meeting (unless a special promotional event). But in Germany they had outside bars close to the finish line and it would not be unusual to see guys finish a race and after their stretch go and have a beer!! It was completely alien to me but second nature to them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

Right—and that's why I was always doubtful that beer was superior for rehydration, but I knowingly chose to believe it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?