Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 1:52pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:55pm
gkbill wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 9:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 7:48pm
I’ve enjoyed watching the Bundesliga last few weeks but EPL is back in 2 days!!!!!

Anyone else as excited as me???

Be interesting see which teams hit the ground running and which look like they have been on the beach last few months. It will be like the start of a new season.
Hello,
The Bundesliga is a better level of play but the EPL has (arguably) more exciting games. I'm happy to see them both. German games got off to a decent start - the top teams looked more prepared, the lower level teams seemed to be mis-firing.
Bayern look unbeatable, Dortmund snd Leverkusen great yo watch.
I really like the fake crowd noise the TV companies use it makes you forget the stadium is empty.
Hello,

The first week didn't have the crowd noise pumped (apparently done at the studio - players don't hear it). I thought I wouldn't like it but it does add to the enjoyment. I really enjoy watching Neuer. The American McKennie at Schalke has played well.
Yeah first couple of weeks they didn’t have it and the quietness was noticeable, listen ring to ‘man on’ in different languages is only interesting for so long. But this weekend was really good and sounded real. In Seria A they also had a virtual crowd.
Havertz at Leverkusen is a good watch and despite all the talk about Sancho I really like watching Brandt for Dortmund.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:52am
They will benefit from the no crowds.
I don't want to think how badly they'd have lost WITH crowds these last 2 games, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 5:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:52am
They will benefit from the no crowds.
I don't want to think how badly they'd have lost WITH crowds these last 2 games, I guess.
Yes they are in trouble. My point was partly tongue in cheek partly serious. When you are fighting for survival at the foot of the table you need every bit of advantage and help you can get. The Hammers have struggled to capture that fervent home support of the old Upton Park due to the size and layout of the Olympic Stadium. That hands advantage to the opposition when they play there however now teams like Villa have also lost that home advantage due to the no crowds it cancels that out so that is where I thought some help may go back to WH.
I think WHU will need others below them to help them or else they will go down. They do not look like a team that have the fight in them to scrap their way out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

They deserve relegation, honestly. It's painful to watch. The only upshot, I guess, is that none of the teams below them are looking poised to get out of relegation either.

Never should have left the boelyn grounds. Awful decision.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Congrats to Liverpool for winning the league. Well deserved.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 5:23pm
Congrats to Liverpool for winning the league. Well deserved.
City letting everyone down there let’s hope they uphold their ECL ban!!!!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Glückwunsch, Kloppo!
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:40pm
Glückwunsch, Kloppo!
Congratulations indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:18pm
Olaf wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:40pm
Glückwunsch, Kloppo!
Congratulations indeed.
He annoys the fuck out of me but credit where it is due.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wife and I are big fans, so this has been great. Gotta say it's a bit underwhelming, but it still counts.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:40pm
Wife and I are big fans, so this has been great. Gotta say it's a bit underwhelming, but it still counts.
No disrespect Matedog but if you were one of the fans who had been waiting 30 years it wouldn't feel like that.

Here's a bit of football/music trivia for you. Both Pink Floyd (Fearless) and The Clash (This Is England) have sampled the Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:49pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:40pm
No disrespect Matedog but if you were one of the fans who had been waiting 30 years it wouldn't feel like that.

Here's a bit of football/music trivia for you. Both Pink Floyd (Fearless) and The Clash (This Is England) have sampled the Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".
I'm still in touch with tosh and yeah, that's his position too (the 30 year wait excitement, not my position).

We were really into the season and then it got postponed and all of a sudden it was back and there were no fans and then it's like, "hey you won Premier League." Oh, great.

I'm sure this is a wrong opinion to you people, but we also just won Champions so that makes it feel a little less important too. Definitely a lesser factor, but still.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I thought this might be a good place to place a plug for the NWSL, the Women's professional league here. The league opens play tomorrow in Salt Lake City, UT. They're using a group play/World Cup format. It will be interesting as they have to keep teams bubbled up in hotels for 5 weeks. The league had a pretty good level of play last year.

The NC team opens play tomorrow 6/27 at 12:30 pm EDT. Try CBS.com for streaming.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 6:20pm
Hello,

I thought this might be a good place to place a plug for the NWSL, the Women's professional league here. The league opens play tomorrow in Salt Lake City, UT. They're using a group play/World Cup format. It will be interesting as they have to keep teams bubbled up in hotels for 5 weeks. The league had a pretty good level of play last year.

The NC team opens play tomorrow 6/27 at 12:30 pm EDT. Try CBS.com for streaming.
Whilst we are talking things up the FIFA Women’s World Cup is going to be held in NZ and Australia!!!!
That is a major event and major coup for Australasia.