My semi-annual plea for Rat Patrol, part 27

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: My semi-annual plea for Rat Patrol, part 27

Post by Marky Dread »

southsideryan wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 12:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 12:26pm
gkbill wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 12:06pm
Hello,

Is there a definitive Rat Patrol collection out there? It seems I have half-a-dozen folders of Rat Patrol stuff.
I did a remaster of the best sounding bootlegs a couple of years ago. But the "tape" has not been shared.
Such a shame. Now is as good a time as any
As much as I would love to see a two disc set with all the variants etc. It ain't gonna happen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

And meanwhile the Jam, the Beatles, The Who and just about every other classic band empty their vaults for the fans. How the Clash haven't had deluxe versions of all their albums is quite frustrating.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 1:03pm
And meanwhile the Jam, the Beatles, The Who and just about every other classic band empty their vaults for the fans. How the Clash haven't had deluxe versions of all their albums is quite frustrating.
The problem is other than the Rat Patrol mixes there isn't a lot else that's not been released. I've always found it odd that there were not more demos and alt. takes but maybe they didn't do too much demoing because they had rehearsal rehearsals. Then straight into the studio to record.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 1:54pm
Heston wrote:
The problem is other than the Rat Patrol mixes there isn't a lot else that's not been released. I've always found it odd that there were not more demos and alt. takes but maybe they didn't do too much demoing because they had rehearsal rehearsals. Then straight into the studio to record.
I'm convinced there will still be other odds and sods lying around in the vaults. I'm pretty sure Mick will have early reference mixes etc. He is a total hoarder. And there is always the option of alternate and instrumental mixes as XTC have been doing (assuming the multitracks can be found). And then the obvious round up of b-sides etc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 3:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I'm convinced there will still be other odds and sods lying around in the vaults. I'm pretty sure Mick will have early reference mixes etc. He is a total hoarder. And there is always the option of alternate and instrumental mixes as XTC have been doing (assuming the multitracks can be found). And then the obvious round up of b-sides etc.
Pointless adding the B-sides Super Black Market Clash and Sound System has those covered.

Yeah I like the idea of instrumentals. It was great getting the rock band stems of LC and the other stray tracks. Maybe the answer would be an Odds and Sods style comp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 3:17pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Pointless adding the B-sides Super Black Market Clash and Sound System has those covered.

Yeah I like the idea of instrumentals. It was great getting the rock band stems of LC and the other stray tracks. Maybe the answer would be an Odds and Sods style comp.
I still think a deluxe edition would have to round up non-album singles and b-sides of the era.

Still a mystery what happened to the Sandinista deluxe.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 4:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 3:17pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I still think a deluxe edition would have to round up non-album singles and b-sides of the era.

Still a mystery what happened to the Sandinista deluxe.
Wasn't it decided there were only two unreleased S! tracks in the vault.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Is there a definitive Rat Patrol collection out there? It seems I have half-a-dozen folders of Rat Patrol stuff.
I did a remaster of the best sounding bootlegs a couple of years ago. But the "tape" has not been shared.
I’m sure I have a Snotty Snail version in the vaults, they usually do a good job can dig it out if no one has it to hand.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I’m sure I have a Snotty Snail version in the vaults, they usually do a good job can dig it out if no one has it to hand.
I wouldn't ever say no to another version of Rat Patrol.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

If you don't have my version already Kory then grab it otherwise it's pointless.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 6:17pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

If you don't have my version already Kory then grab it otherwise it's pointless.
Hello,

I found my folder of Marky's take. It was filed under Hell W10. I'm thinking this is as definitive as it gets! I can share if anyone needs

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 9:35am
Kory wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 4:04pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 12:24pm
Did Joe reject the Mix because he didnt like it or was it bernies Input?
LIkely both.

In any case, the OP could have been written by me. I'm all for this, but I know Mick feels icky about releasing it without Joe's approval.
This really doesn't make a great deal of sense as Sound System saw the release of a couple of tracks from Mick's tape and Joe couldn't of given approval now could he.

Some of the stuff on the tape doesn't clean up that well. Like the unnecessary bongo intro to RtC also Car Jamming has a glitch in it. Inoculated City does sound great though and I wished it had been included on the SS box.

I pretty much prefer all of Mick's original mixes.
I think Mick has some regrets about being pushed by Sony to include unreleased stuff on Sound System. Releasing Rat Patrol would be a bridge too far. I’d dig it though.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 10:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 9:35am
Kory wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 4:04pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 12:24pm
Did Joe reject the Mix because he didnt like it or was it bernies Input?
LIkely both.

In any case, the OP could have been written by me. I'm all for this, but I know Mick feels icky about releasing it without Joe's approval.
This really doesn't make a great deal of sense as Sound System saw the release of a couple of tracks from Mick's tape and Joe couldn't of given approval now could he.

Some of the stuff on the tape doesn't clean up that well. Like the unnecessary bongo intro to RtC also Car Jamming has a glitch in it. Inoculated City does sound great though and I wished it had been included on the SS box.

I pretty much prefer all of Mick's original mixes.
I think Mick has some regrets about being pushed by Sony to include unreleased stuff on Sound System. Releasing Rat Patrol would be a bridge too far. I’d dig it though.
I get Mick’s stand point and it is admiral but as this stuff is out there in boots one way or the other I’d have thought it would be better to put it all out officially and maybe give everyone a bit of an earner in the process including Joe’s estate.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I can definitely believe there being some demos/unreleased songs in the vault somewhere from the Rat Patrol sessions.
combatrock.jpg
combatrock.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Guitars and Men, Soul Mercenary, and Burning Bush are all listed as being album tracks at the time. This is definitely before January 82, as Straight to Hell isn't on here (no Sean Flynn either, but I could see that being Burning Bush possibly). There's also DMZ Dancing listed below, and then on the side a potential track featuring "Burrows" who I assume to be William Burroughs. So yeah, it's weird that theres 3, potentially 4 songs listed that we have never heard a thing about. There's gotta be something remaining that Sony or Mick has of it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 2:17am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I can definitely believe there being some demos/unreleased songs in the vault somewhere from the Rat Patrol sessions.

combatrock.jpg

Guitars and Men, Soul Mercenary, and Burning Bush are all listed as being album tracks at the time. This is definitely before January 82, as Straight to Hell isn't on here (no Sean Flynn either, but I could see that being Burning Bush possibly). There's also DMZ Dancing listed below, and then on the side a potential track featuring "Burrows" who I assume to be William Burroughs. So yeah, it's weird that theres 3, potentially 4 songs listed that we have never heard a thing about. There's gotta be something remaining that Sony or Mick has of it.
I like the way in that pic that it says Ginsberk instead of Ginsberg. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia