F-Punk Remixed

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: F-Punk Remixed

Post by oliver »

Nice work! I'm hearing all sorts of things I hadn't heard before - most noticeably in Gonna Try.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This reworking is slowly converting me. It's still a weak cousin of most of Mick's work, but it's not quite as dull as it used to be. Sorry, Joe, EW is unambiguously crappier.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 9:48am
Nice work! I'm hearing all sorts of things I hadn't heard before - most noticeably in Gonna Try.
Cheers Oliver.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 11:00am
This reworking is slowly converting me. It's still a weak cousin of most of Mick's work, but it's not quite as dull as it used to be. Sorry, Joe, EW is unambiguously crappier.
Yeah in a career of some genuine greatness it does pale by comparison. But it's not as bad (excuse the pun) as its made out to be (by Heston).

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This album sounds much cleaner than the original. I still think it's a Mick Jones solo record rather than a BAD record (although to an extent you could say this about a few BAD records). I't more guitar-ish, less dance track oriented, etc. I'm not being very specific here but it's that way.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The extended outros of a lot of these songs are what the songs themselves should have been. More electronic.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

gkbill wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:47pm
Hello,

This album sounds much cleaner than the original. I still think it's a Mick Jones solo record rather than a BAD record (although to an extent you could say this about a few BAD records). I't more guitar-ish, less dance track oriented, etc. I'm not being very specific here but it's that way.
But it’s that 1995 lineup of BAD all playing live on many of the songs, unlike any previous album. The original sessions had fewer songs with machine beats and electronics. That’s when it was to be called “Punk”, but Mick decided to vary things. The final title’s a nice pun.

The drum sound is still the biggest issue. Marky’s remastering has brought out the vocals better but that live drum sound has no ass to it (as they say). The original mix of Gonna Try was two-track stereo, like the sixties. Vocals on one side, everything else on the other.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 2:30am
gkbill wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 12:47pm
Hello,

But it’s that 1995 lineup of BAD all playing live on many of the songs, unlike any previous album. The original sessions had fewer songs with machine beats and electronics. That’s when it was to be called “Punk”, but Mick decided to vary things. The final title’s a nice pun.

The drum sound is still the biggest issue. Marky’s remastering has brought out the vocals better but that live drum sound has no ass to it (as they say). The original mix of Gonna Try was two-track stereo, like the sixties. Vocals on one side, everything else on the other.
Yes the drums are flat in the mix with little bounce to them. I did move the vocal on a couple of tracks "Gonna Try" being the obvious one where the vocal is now central in the mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It’s good to hear the vocals more clearly. One of the main issues with the album mix/recording is that everything (guitars, vocals, drums) are in the same high-mid register. That defies a basic rock mixology rule. Often that’s mitigated against with different reverb lengths, EQ, and stereo placement (think 70’s mixes, where the guitars are hard-split, or even Exile on Main Street, which is a very dense but extremely meticulous mix). It’s why when the keyboard is pulled up in the break of I Turned Out A Punk, it more effectively cuts compared to the guitar breaks, because it’s pitched a bit higher than the other elements.

On the group’s own private cassette compilation of alternates and outtakes, “The Weather“, Gonna Try is in mono!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 3:23pm
It’s good to hear the vocals more clearly. One of the main issues with the album mix/recording is that everything (guitars, vocals, drums) are in the same high-mid register. That defies a basic rock mixology rule. Often that’s mitigated against with different reverb lengths, EQ, and stereo placement (think 70’s mixes, where the guitars are hard-split, or even Exile on Main Street, which is a very dense but extremely meticulous mix). It’s why when the keyboard is pulled up in the break of I Turned Out A Punk, it more effectively cuts compared to the guitar breaks, because it’s pitched a bit higher than the other elements.

On the group’s own private cassette compilation of alternates and outtakes, “The Weather“, Gonna Try is in mono!
I think that mono version is on the BAD files. I definitely have it somewhere.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 7:51am
I do agree with what everyone says and the criticisms but i really love this album and i totally get it. The fact its live just makes it even more the better for me

Its just a shame entering a new ride didn't get an official release now that's something i would like to see. Its chaotic, explosive and exciting just like dynamite should be

Is it me or does all that Mick touches fizzle out in a unannounced way when it starts to reach its pinnacle or at its best
Entering A New Ride ...next

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 6:28pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
I do agree with what everyone says and the criticisms but i really love this album and i totally get it. The fact its live just makes it even more the better for me

Its just a shame entering a new ride didn't get an official release now that's something i would like to see. Its chaotic, explosive and exciting just like dynamite should be

Is it me or does all that Mick touches fizzle out in a unannounced way when it starts to reach its pinnacle or at its best
Can you get rid of the voice on that album that isn't Mick?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 8:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Not sure who's voice you are referring to mate. But no that would not be possible without the masters.

I can not understand why that album didn't get a proper release. It's great and it grows on me with each new play. Maybe the slight change in direction was too much for some. But I don't think there is a poor track on it. Very repetitious and DJ orientated but each track has a great groove I really dig it a lot more now than on it's internet release and would go as far as to call it underrated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 4:37am
oliver wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 8:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Not sure who's voice you are referring to mate. But no that would not be possible without the masters.

I can not understand why that album didn't get a proper release. It's great and it grows on me with each new play. Maybe the slight change in direction was too much for some. But I don't think there is a poor track on it. Very repetitious and DJ orientated but each track has a great groove I really dig it a lot more now than on it's internet release and would go as far as to call it underrated.
I agree.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 4:37am
TBH, it was partially in jest because I know you can only work with what's already out there but I do think I would like the album more if it was Mick singing "Man That is Dynamite" for example or if the intro to "On the 1s and 2s" was removed.