My semi-annual plea for Rat Patrol, part 27

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: My semi-annual plea for Rat Patrol, part 27

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 10:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 9:35am
Kory wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 4:04pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 12:24pm
Did Joe reject the Mix because he didnt like it or was it bernies Input?
LIkely both.

In any case, the OP could have been written by me. I'm all for this, but I know Mick feels icky about releasing it without Joe's approval.
This really doesn't make a great deal of sense as Sound System saw the release of a couple of tracks from Mick's tape and Joe couldn't of given approval now could he.

Some of the stuff on the tape doesn't clean up that well. Like the unnecessary bongo intro to RtC also Car Jamming has a glitch in it. Inoculated City does sound great though and I wished it had been included on the SS box.

I pretty much prefer all of Mick's original mixes.
I think Mick has some regrets about being pushed by Sony to include unreleased stuff on Sound System. Releasing Rat Patrol would be a bridge too far. I’d dig it though.
Yeah I think we all would. I respect how Mick feels but if you've let some of the tracks out you may as well do the whole thing. Plus it could be both albums containing Mick's vision and then Glyn Johns mix. It could make a really nice box set with all the instrumentals outtakes b-sides and even a few live takes.

Oh yeah I would dig that very much.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

I also think this should be a great Set.
I am sure theres plenty live stuff as well and the Demos they used for hell w10 are superior sounding than the Vanilla Tapes they did not hesitate to release.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 4:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 12:24pm
Did Joe reject the Mix because he didnt like it or was it bernies Input?
LIkely both.

In any case, the OP could have been written by me. I'm all for this, but I know Mick feels icky about releasing it without Joe's approval.
This really doesn't make a great deal of sense as Sound System saw the release of a couple of tracks from Mick's tape and Joe couldn't of given approval now could he.

Some of the stuff on the tape doesn't clean up that well. Like the unnecessary bongo intro to RtC also Car Jamming has a glitch in it. Inoculated City does sound great though and I wished it had been included on the SS box.

I think Mick has some regrets about being pushed by Sony to include unreleased stuff on Sound System. Releasing Rat Patrol would be a bridge too far. I’d dig it though.
Yeah I think we all would. I respect how Mick feels but if you've let some of the tracks out you may as well do the whole thing. Plus it could be both albums containing Mick's vision and then Glyn Johns mix. It could make a really nice box set with all the instrumentals outtakes b-sides and even a few live takes.

Yes. To play hypotheticals for a moment, they could also do what the Prince estate is doing with their box set for Sign O The Times. That album had three previous unreleased incarnations (Dream Factory, Crystal Ball and Camille). The box will contain the SOTT album, B sides and mixes, and a slew of vault tracks and alternates, not arranged to replicate the unreleased albums, but including any missing tracks that haven’t been previously released. The Clash could release their early RP mixes and alternate versions, without a direct replication of the track listing of Rat Patrol, enabling anyone who wanted to make their own. That said, I would be surprised if the group agreed to any big box set based around a particular album. The closest they have come was LC25, with LC40 decidedly not being released as a box set, and also not approving the Sandinista box. I think they prefer Sound System to stand alone as a big box statement.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

29 Jun 2020, 3:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 4:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

LIkely both.

Yes. To play hypotheticals for a moment, they could also do what the Prince estate is doing with their box set for Sign O The Times. That album had three previous unreleased incarnations (Dream Factory, Crystal Ball and Camille). The box will contain the SOTT album, B sides and mixes, and a slew of vault tracks and alternates, not arranged to replicate the unreleased albums, but including any missing tracks that haven’t been previously released. The Clash could release their early RP mixes and alternate versions, without a direct replication of the track listing of Rat Patrol, enabling anyone who wanted to make their own. That said, I would be surprised if the group agreed to any big box set based around a particular album. The closest they have come was LC25, with LC40 decidedly not being released as a box set, and also not approving the Sandinista box. I think they prefer Sound System to stand alone as a big box statement.
I get how Mick and Paul feel about Sound System being their big box statement. It's great also that the deterioration on some of the tapes have now been preserved.

Still no reason for Rat Patrol not to have a stand alone release though. There are so many options they could choose. From the huge Prince like option to the 2 disc deluxe editions.

I dream on...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

What's interesting to me reading these replies is, we all know RP is Mick's (in a general sense). But RP was also just as much Toppers (Fulham Connect is a Topper track full stop). Joe also contributed his normal input of vocals and lyrics, I imagine his estate can't feel that RP would be a gigantic slap in the face? Although I don't know what kind of tension there is between the Strummer & Jones camps.

But an RP release with liner notes and a sessionography would really help elevate Toppers contributions to the level they deserve, I feel his legacy so unfairly tied to his addiction that he has since recovered from, extraordinarily so. Topper's musical prowess is the reason Mick felt free to experiment the way he did.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

KCportland wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:09pm
What's interesting to me reading these replies is, we all know RP is Mick's (in a general sense). But RP was also just as much Toppers (Fulham Connect is a Topper track full stop). Joe also contributed his normal input of vocals and lyrics, I imagine his estate can't feel that RP would be a gigantic slap in the face? Although I don't know what kind of tension there is between the Strummer & Jones camps.

But an RP release with liner notes and a sessionography would really help elevate Toppers contributions to the level they deserve, I feel his legacy so unfairly tied to his addiction that he has since recovered from, extraordinarily so. Topper's musical prowess is the reason Mick felt free to experiment the way he did.
The fact that Joe’s camp released Strummer 001 (which obviously took time and effort) would suggest that they would not be averse to the idea of a professionally made product especially if it had some commercial appeal.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:17pm
KCportland wrote:

The fact that Joe’s camp released Strummer 001 (which obviously took time and effort) would suggest that they would not be averse to the idea of a professionally made product especially if it had some commercial appeal.

Also, speaking of potential liner notes....I'm always available :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.popmatters.com/190081-the-c ... 6995.html

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I not sure there is any tension between Strummer & Jones camps.

Yes don't forget the great U.S. North.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I wasn’t suggesting any tension I was more making the point that the Joe camp may be open to well put together releases being as they put time and effort into 001 and I’d suggest RP could commercially be more lucrative.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Rat Patrol is my all time dream release. I seriously would not ask the music gods for anything else if we saw a proper release. Maybe a 40th anniversary release of Combat Rock in 2022? They could take Mick's Sound System remaster of that album and then tack on singles, demos, and alternate mixes. It doesn't necessarily need to be Rat Patrol, but could simply contain all of the mixes that would have made up Rat Patrol so that the listener could just create their own version. I don't see this happening as much as I wish it would. It doesn't sound like Mick has any intention to do anything else with the catalog, but who knows.

Fort Bragg has been in the news. It's one of the US military bases named after a Confederate general. In this case, General Braxton Bragg.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I wasn’t suggesting any tension I was more making the point that the Joe camp may be open to well put together releases being as they put time and effort into 001 and I’d suggest RP could commercially be more lucrative.
I know you weren't mate I highlighted the piece from KCportland's post above yours. I've know fucking idea how you do that quote thing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
Rat Patrol is my all time dream release. I seriously would not ask the music gods for anything else if we saw a proper release. Maybe a 40th anniversary release of Combat Rock in 2022? They could take Mick's Sound System remaster of that album and then tack on singles, demos, and alternate mixes. It doesn't necessarily need to be Rat Patrol, but could simply contain all of the mixes that would have made up Rat Patrol so that the listener could just create their own version. I don't see this happening as much as I wish it would. It doesn't sound like Mick has any intention to do anything else with the catalog, but who knows.

Fort Bragg has been in the news. It's one of the US military bases named after a Confederate general. In this case, General Braxton Bragg.
Did you read TeddyB's post further up the thread.

Yep I posted something a couple of weeks back in reply to revbob about "Fort Bragg" being next to be erased from history regards the racist general. But the album was named after the tv series "The Rat Patrol" I think.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 6:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 6:08pm

Did you read TeddyB's post further up the thread.

Yep I posted something a couple of weeks back in reply to revbob about "Fort Bragg" being next to be erased from history regards the racist general. But the album was named after the tv series "The Rat Patrol" I think.
I didn't, but I should have ;) .

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm listening to Marky's Rat Patrol from Hell right now. I'm sure it has been said before, but what an incredible musical shift to get there from White Riot.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:04pm
I'm listening to Marky's Rat Patrol from Hell right now. I'm sure it has been said before, but what an incredible musical shift to get there from White Riot.
Or...How Can I Understand the Flies. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia