The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

clashtwo.jpg
clashtwo.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
The stuff of SNEWSer dreams …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
clashtwo.jpg
Yeah a shit band at that point.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

You know it's a problem when you see a photo of the Clash and all you really see is hair.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

You know it's a problem when you see a photo of the Clash and all you really see is hair.
Some of us see the face of our murderer. :meh:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 3:13pm
gkbill wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

Some of us see the face of our murderer. :meh:
The throat slits itself!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Eh? How could you compare DD to the Osmonds or the Jackson 5? They were just singing/dancing troupes really. DD were five blokes who formed an art pop band but just happened to be good looking.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Eh? How could you compare DD to the Osmonds or the Jackson 5? They were just singing/dancing troupes really. DD were five blokes who formed an art pop band but just happened to be good looking.
Just trying to think of bands off the top of my head and considered those bands that actually played instruments but still did the boy band line up thing.
It do early let me finish my coffee and I will come up with better example.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
When I hear Bros, I wonder what music influenced them. Do they like music?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Well Bros kind of played their instruments but I'm pretty sure the records were constructed by studio mutts. Duran Duran were pretty talented players. John Taylor especially is highly rated by a lot of bass players, and Andy Taylor was a pretty shit hot guitarist.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
No they like fame!!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah, good point. It's that old fame for fame's sake thing.

That's why I can't put Duran Duran in the boy band bracket, they were all huge music fans. The premise for their band at the start was the Sex Pistols meets Chic. They didn't quite succeed with that but songs like Planet Earth and Girls On Film are fantastic pop records.