Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:49pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 5:40pm
Wife and I are big fans, so this has been great. Gotta say it's a bit underwhelming, but it still counts.
No disrespect Matedog but if you were one of the fans who had been waiting 30 years it wouldn't feel like that.

Here's a bit of football/music trivia for you. Both Pink Floyd (Fearless) and The Clash (This Is England) have sampled the Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".
I'm still in touch with tosh and yeah, that's his position too (the 30 year wait excitement, not my position).

We were really into the season and then it got postponed and all of a sudden it was back and there were no fans and then it's like, "hey you won Premier League." Oh, great.

I'm sure this is a wrong opinion to you people, but we also just won Champions so that makes it feel a little less important too. Definitely a lesser factor, but still.
Yep no doubt Tosh couldn’t give a fuck how or when it was won it doesn’t matter.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
gkbill wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 6:20pm
Hello,

I thought this might be a good place to place a plug for the NWSL, the Women's professional league here. The league opens play tomorrow in Salt Lake City, UT. They're using a group play/World Cup format. It will be interesting as they have to keep teams bubbled up in hotels for 5 weeks. The league had a pretty good level of play last year.

The NC team opens play tomorrow 6/27 at 12:30 pm EDT. Try CBS.com for streaming.
Whilst we are talking things up the FIFA Women’s World Cup is going to be held in NZ and Australia!!!!
That is a major event and major coup for Australasia.
Hello,

Yes - congrats, 101! Australia has done well with their Women's side and program. It will be a fun event - not as mad/crazy as the Men's side but very fun! Sam Kerr has raised the profile of players down under.. She had a good NWSL run (career leading scorer despite playing with a few mediocre teams). Hosting (assuming crowds will be back) should give Australia good edge over a lot of teams. NZ has several players here in good college programs. I'm pretty sure Katie Bowen, formerly with University of North Carolina, now with Utah in the NWSL, NZ NT, worked camp with me.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 7:35pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
gkbill wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 6:20pm
Hello,

I thought this might be a good place to place a plug for the NWSL, the Women's professional league here. The league opens play tomorrow in Salt Lake City, UT. They're using a group play/World Cup format. It will be interesting as they have to keep teams bubbled up in hotels for 5 weeks. The league had a pretty good level of play last year.

The NC team opens play tomorrow 6/27 at 12:30 pm EDT. Try CBS.com for streaming.
Whilst we are talking things up the FIFA Women’s World Cup is going to be held in NZ and Australia!!!!
That is a major event and major coup for Australasia.
Hello,

Yes - congrats, 101! Australia has done well with their Women's side and program. It will be a fun event - not as mad/crazy as the Men's side but very fun! Sam Kerr has raised the profile of players down under.. She had a good NWSL run (career leading scorer despite playing with a few mediocre teams). Hosting (assuming crowds will be back) should give Australia good edge over a lot of teams. NZ has several players here in good college programs. I'm pretty sure Katie Bowen, formerly with University of North Carolina, now with Utah in the NWSL, NZ NT, worked camp with me.
Yes I think NZ has a good team they fully utilise the US College system it is a common pathway over here. I understand for every scholarship offered to a male athlete has to be matched by a female so there seems to be a lot of slots available. Those players will obviously be graduated or come back to play.

tosh
Long Time Jerk

Post by tosh »

Last night was a great night.

Was it better than winning the European Cup?

Was it better than winning the Super Cup?

Better than being the World Champions?

Who knows. All I know is that last night was awesome.

I recall being drunk as a 15 year old seeing us win the league

Seeing Man City hand us the title works. Especially seeing as we got the players jumping around a little while
Later

That was a good night.

Let’s keep at it. 107 points. All the wins and work on jext season

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Nothing is better than being League Champions.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wife and I are big fans, so this has been great. Gotta say it's a bit underwhelming, but it still counts.
No disrespect Matedog but if you were one of the fans who had been waiting 30 years it wouldn't feel like that.

Here's a bit of football/music trivia for you. Both Pink Floyd (Fearless) and The Clash (This Is England) have sampled the Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".
I'm still in touch with tosh and yeah, that's his position too (the 30 year wait excitement, not my position).

We were really into the season and then it got postponed and all of a sudden it was back and there were no fans and then it's like, "hey you won Premier League." Oh, great.

I'm sure this is a wrong opinion to you people, but we also just won Champions so that makes it feel a little less important too. Definitely a lesser factor, but still.
What do you mean "you people"? I'm sorry, very sorry, but I have to say oi mate tahts the pisstake. I'm sure you understand.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 10:01am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

What do you mean "you people"? I'm sorry, very sorry, but I have to say oi mate tahts the pisstake. I'm sure you understand.
He means Arsenal supporters. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 11:53pm
This is what I don’t get. I’m probably wrong but winning Champions but not EPL is kinda like winning the World Series but not winning your division.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 1:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
This is what I don’t get. I’m probably wrong but winning Champions but not EPL is kinda like winning the World Series but not winning your division.
You win the Champions league by playing a handful of games. The Premiere League is much harder. It's taken Liverpool 30 years to win the league again and that's a huge thing. They have won the Champions League previously. Fans would take winning the EPL over CL any day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 1:42pm
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You win the Champions league by playing a handful of games. The Premiere League is much harder. It's taken Liverpool 30 years to win the league again and that's a huge thing. They have won the Champions League previously. Fans would take winning the EPL over CL any day.
As Marky said your target every season should be to be the best team in your country and over a 38 game season you earn that title.
The ECL has all the prestige but you can get lucky with the draw in a cup competition (and in games).
The Super Cup and World Club Cup are really glorified exhibition matches.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
As Marky said your target every season should be to be the best team in your country and over a 38 game season you earn that title.
The ECL has all the prestige but you can get lucky with the draw in a cup competition (and in games).
Hello,

Players realize this. Champion's League is a big check (and possible transfer fee bonus) and all well and good - but the league championship takes more time. Players know.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 7:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

Players realize this. Champion's League is a big check (and possible transfer fee bonus) and all well and good - but the league championship takes more time. Players know.
Back in the day the EUFA Cup was harder to win than European Cup when you only had the champions of each country involved so realistically only English, Spanish, German, Italian teams would win it. EUFA Cup had teams that finished 2-4 in each league so more harder teams.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Much better :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 5:10pm
Yep did my team a big favour. "Up the Hammers!".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 5:54pm
Flex wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 5:10pm
Yep did my team a big favour. "Up the Hammers!".
Just watching now, Chelsea defending like a school team. Got away with one (correctly) from VAR.