1976 Show - October 27th at Barbarella's Birmingham

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: 1976 Show - October 27th at Barbarella's Birmingham

Post by Marky Dread »

As our good friend JohnS said earlier here is Johnny Thunders with the same Gretsch.
Attachments
SmartSelectImage_2020-06-01-19-55-45.png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 2:58pm
As our good friend JohnS said earlier here is Johnny Thunders with the same Gretsch.
Yep. Johnny was using that Gretch since the earliest days of the Heartbreakers with Richard Hell. I think he got it from Syl Sylvain (who also gave Steve Jones his white Les Paul Custom via Malcolm).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 2:58pm
Yep. Johnny was using that Gretch since the earliest days of the Heartbreakers with Richard Hell. I think he got it from Syl Sylvain (who also gave Steve Jones his white Les Paul Custom via Malcolm).
Yeah it was Syl's guitar that Jones used but Syl didn't exactly have a choice in Steve getting it. Malcolm took it with him as Syl was supposed to follow him to London from New York. So here's Jones stealing Dolls riffs played on a Dolls guitar and then coping all of Thunders stage moves. The Pistols owe the Dolls a huge debt apart from Rotten.

It's not much of a stretch of the imagination if Rotten had just replaced Johansen. Maybe that's why Rotten took that sideways swipe at DJ in the song New York. Either way from a fans perspective we got two of the finest rock n roll bands in the history of music.

Here's a weird one years ago I read a story about a guy who worked in a guitar shop and claimed Steve Jones had taken that white gibson in for repair. He says Steve was really protective about the guitar and didnt want to leave it overnight and wanted to be there if the guitar was to be worked upon. The guy swore blind that inside the guitar was an electronic device he had never before seen that enabled Steve to play so well. Bizarre or what?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2020, 11:04am
JohnS wrote:
13 May 2020, 8:05pm
Kory wrote:
12 May 2020, 2:40pm
Surely that photo is wrong—didn't Joe only use that guitar for one show?
Yeah I think so - borrowed (from Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers?) for the opening night at The Roxy, Jan 1st 1977.
Not too many great live pics from that era that i haven't already used. Remember this is the second time I remastered this. At only a couple of months difference it will have to do. Plus it's a great pic. Should add that Joe used the white gretsch falcon more than once. Well twice but two shows same day at the Roxy.
Fantastic picture research Marky - I've not seen those pics of Joe in the 'Social Security' shirt & jacket before, just the '1977' shirt. Mind you he'd need a change of clothes after tearing through a set in a sweaty club.
Interesting tale about Steve Jones's mystery gizmo in his guitar too. I'm sure he must have had at least one cherished guitar over the years.
Mind you I read somewhere that he also claims to have sold his classic Pistols Les Paul, the one with the girly pin-up stickers on, to some rich collector... and sold it again... and sold it again :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 7:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2020, 11:04am
JohnS wrote:
13 May 2020, 8:05pm
Kory wrote:
12 May 2020, 2:40pm
Surely that photo is wrong—didn't Joe only use that guitar for one show?
Yeah I think so - borrowed (from Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers?) for the opening night at The Roxy, Jan 1st 1977.
Not too many great live pics from that era that i haven't already used. Remember this is the second time I remastered this. At only a couple of months difference it will have to do. Plus it's a great pic. Should add that Joe used the white gretsch falcon more than once. Well twice but two shows same day at the Roxy.
Fantastic picture research Marky - I've not seen those pics of Joe in the 'Social Security' shirt & jacket before, just the '1977' shirt. Mind you he'd need a change of clothes after tearing through a set in a sweaty club.
Interesting tale about Steve Jones's mystery gizmo in his guitar too. I'm sure he must have had at least one cherished guitar over the years.
Mind you I read somewhere that he also claims to have sold his classic Pistols Les Paul, the one with the girly pin-up stickers on, to some rich collector... and sold it again... and sold it again :mrgreen:
Yeah when I saw the Pistols in '96 at Finsbury Park and other dates on that "Filtby Lucre" tour he had a Japanese guitar he became fond of.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I think Steve sold one of those "girly picture" Les Pauls to Gerry Harrington, who knew it wasn't the original one. They were friends. Also, I once played a gig with Chequered Past. Steve played a regular issue Les Paul, no pedals, and set his guitar volume, tone knobs, and the Marshall amp dials all to five. He sounded just like Steve Jones.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 12:04am
I think Steve sold one of those "girly picture" Les Pauls to Gerry Harrington, who knew it wasn't the original one. They were friends. Also, I once played a gig with Chequered Past. Steve played a regular issue Les Paul, no pedals, and set his guitar volume, tone knobs, and the Marshall amp dials all to five. He sounded just like Steve Jones.
Nice story Teddy. Yeah I've always wondered how many of those "cowboy girl" Gibson's Steve had. So Steve's technique is just a Marshal set to 5 and the volume/tone up full?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 6:14am
Nice story Teddy. Yeah I've always wondered how many of those "cowboy girl" Gibson's Steve had. So Steve's technique is just a Marshal set to 5 and the volume/tone up full?
Yes. The guitar full up and the Marshall volume, pre-amp and tone all set to five.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

02 Jun 2020, 6:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 6:14am
Yes. The guitar full up and the Marshall volume, pre-amp and tone all set to five.
Sounds so simple just like Steve. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

https://youtu.be/GgcNBFwrwCo

There is also rehearsal footage with Joe using the White Falcon guitar, starting at 33:00

I always wondered how he got that guitar as it was (and is) a very expensive one.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

I don’t know how Joe got it, but I do know that at one point around that time Johnny sold his for drug money. I’m sure it wasn’t Joe he sold it to.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

chocolatejesus wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:19pm
https://youtu.be/GgcNBFwrwCo

There is also rehearsal footage with Joe using the White Falcon guitar, starting at 33:00

I always wondered how he got that guitar as it was (and is) a very expensive one.
Sadly it won't play here in the UK. Blocked by channel 4 but I know the footage anyway. Thanks for the reminder though CJ.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

the link is just The future is unwritten (dubbed in french...) that someone uploaded on Youtube.

Thanks for the info TeddyB.
This guitar obviously has quite an interesting history. Someone should do a hunt and make a documentary about it. They did it with Joes Dodge didnt they?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Found another pic of Joe with the White Falcon.
Attachments
1f3fe6fff6744c06703d9daafbaf23bc.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia