The Mark Trail Thread of Punching Justice and Smug Life Lessons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mark Trail Thread of Punching Justice and Smug Life Lessons

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Dammit, I'll get my blockbuster movie about bats made one day!"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 8:10am
Actually I was hoping it could be both.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 8:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 8:10am
Actually I was hoping it could be both.
Next adventure: Mark Trail versus DC Comics' lawyers!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

A question for the experts: Does that bat disease and human trafficking article refer to an earlier story? Cause I'm trying really hard to see a connection between the two.

Title of article: "White-nose syndrome and human trafficking -Why they are completely unrelated." That's bound to attract attention in Hollywood.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 8:09am
A question for the experts: Does that bat disease and human trafficking article refer to an earlier story? Cause I'm trying really hard to see a connection between the two.

Title of article: "White-nose syndrome and human trafficking -Why they are completely unrelated." That's bound to attract attention in Hollywood.
That was before I discovered Mark Trail, but the Comics Curmudgeon (which exposed me to MT's bizarre genius) said this when this new arc began:
I am very excited about this upcoming Mark Trail plotline, in which some hot-shot movie producers (having communicated with the IP rights holders via a message sent in a manila envelope, like you do) want to make a movie about an adventure Mark had back in 2015 and 2016! You remember this thrilling tale of white nose syndrome and human trafficking, don’t you? It started with Mark talking bat illness with an amiable academic, and then brushed up against some human traffickers out there in the desert, who dynamited them into a cave, where they were trapped for month after month after interminable month, until they managed to swim out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 8:33am
Olaf wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 8:09am

That was before I discovered Mark Trail, but the Comics Curmudgeon (which exposed me to MT's bizarre genius) said this when this new arc began:
I am very excited about this upcoming Mark Trail plotline, in which some hot-shot movie producers (having communicated with the IP rights holders via a message sent in a manila envelope, like you do) want to make a movie about an adventure Mark had back in 2015 and 2016! You remember this thrilling tale of white nose syndrome and human trafficking, don’t you? It started with Mark talking bat illness with an amiable academic, and then brushed up against some human traffickers out there in the desert, who dynamited them into a cave, where they were trapped for month after month after interminable month, until they managed to swim out.
And now you have been REBORN!!.

I thought for sure he had been discussed here earlier. Ive been reading it for about 30 years but fell off for a few when I stopped getting a physical local paper.

I used to work with an old Mainer who was a big MT fan but he read it very unironically. He fancied himself an outdoorsman and I think saw MT as kindred spirit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 8:46am
And now you have been REBORN!!.
In the name of the Mark, the Rusty, and the Cherry.
I thought for sure he had been discussed here earlier. Ive been reading it for about 30 years but fell off for a few when I stopped getting a physical local paper.
I don't recall previous discussion. At most, you used to have Mark as your avatar, no? It wasn't until I started reading the Comics Curmudgeon that I became entranced. I also follow, to a lesser, degree Mary Worth thanks to CC.
I used to work with an old Mainer who was a big MT fan but he read it very unironically. He fancied himself an outdoorsman and I think saw MT as kindred spirit.
That's the beauty of the strip—you really can appreciate it both straight up and parody. Well, not sure if you can approach those panels about a walrus giving birth in the back of an SUV as anything but absurd, but then I'm not from Maine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So if Cartwright were nice guy Tom Hanks, Bill the Sentient Glass Tower wouldn't have called? Seems it's a proper thing to do regardless of the character of the visitor, but what do I know about the magazine biz?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 8:22am
So if Cartwright were nice guy Tom Hanks, Bill the Sentient Glass Tower wouldn't have called? Seems it's a proper thing to do regardless of the character of the visitor, but what do I know about the magazine biz?
Yep, Mark might actually like to know his article is being made into a movie.

It appears that, as soon as they hear "Hollywood", everybody's got dollar signs in their eyes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It appears that, as soon as they hear "Hollywood", everybody's got dollar signs in their eyes.
Not Mark. He can't wait to explain how far the gold-spotted butterfly migrates in a calendar year and how they have a symbiotic relationship with garter snake. Then he'll pour everyone a good old-fashioned cup of sarsaparilla that they can sip by the lake while watching for pelicans.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:54am
Olaf wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not Mark. He can't wait to explain how far the gold-spotted butterfly migrates in a calendar year and how they have a symbiotic relationship with garter snake. Then he'll pour everyone a good old-fashioned cup of sarsaparilla that they can sip by the lake while watching for pelicans.
And flying fists, hopefully.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Uh, Bill, how can you be agent for the studio and for Mark? Conflict of interest?

Also, according to Comics Curmudgeon, James Allen is stepping down from the strip. Good news or bad?

Plus, the Harvey Camel story might have been abour a Twitter spat:

Well.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 8:07am
Uh, Bill, how can you be agent for the studio and for Mark? Conflict of interest?

Also, according to Comics Curmudgeon, James Allen is stepping down from the strip. Good news or bad?
If only the comic made it look like it was the house talking to the building.

Allen stepping down makes sense what with all the weird art inconsistencies. This current (classic) story arc looks like it was done and set aside for a future date.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Does she always have to wear those damn polo shirts?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 9:23am

Does she always have to wear those damn polo shirts?
Mark only owns that one pink, seemingly heavy flannel shirt, so the Trails aren't terribly fashion obsessed. Speaking of Mark's pink shirt, how does that pass muster with the sincere manly sportsman fans of the strip? He should be wearing an orange vest or camo or something.