What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:20am
Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:16am
Fish n Chips from the best chippy in South Shields, smothered in salt and vinegar.

The chain is the namesake of Arthur Treacher (1894–1975), an English character actor typecast as "the perfect butler" for his performances as Jeeves, as a butler in several Shirley Temple films, and the role of Constable Jones in Walt Disney Productions' Mary Poppins.
Any good? I tend not to trust restaurant chains, not a big fan of Harry Ramsden's over here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:30am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Fish n Chips from the best chippy in South Shields, smothered in salt and vinegar.

The chain is the namesake of Arthur Treacher (1894–1975), an English character actor typecast as "the perfect butler" for his performances as Jeeves, as a butler in several Shirley Temple films, and the role of Constable Jones in Walt Disney Productions' Mary Poppins.
Any good? I tend not to trust restaurant chains, not a big fan of Harry Ramsden's over here.
I loved it as a kid, but agree with you on chains. There's only like a handful of these left in this country . As I recall for what was advertised as fast food actually took a long time to get your order.

There's a few good pubs in town that make a nice fish n chips but we dont have a chippy like you guys do. I dont think Ive ever seen one in my travels of this country. Maybe I should open one when covid dies down.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:35am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

I loved it as a kid, but agree with you on chains. There's only like a handful of these left in this country . As I recall for what was advertised as fast food actually took a long time to get your order.

There's a few good pubs in town that make a nice fish n chips but we dont have a chippy like you guys do. I dont think Ive ever seen one in my travels of this country. Maybe I should open one when covid dies down.
I like a good fish and chips but there is a difference between f&c from pubs etc. and fish and chips from a good chippy!! Both can be great but different.
And never from a chain chippy.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 3:57pm
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:35am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

I like a good fish and chips but there is a difference between f&c from pubs etc. and fish and chips from a good chippy!! Both can be great but different.
And never from a chain chippy.
I'll take your word on this. Like I said no chippys here. Maybe in the Little Britain section of San Diego...

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
Ever go for the saveloy?

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 4:32pm
Heston wrote:
Ever go for the saveloy?
I live in the saveloy capital of England. Dicksons of South Shields are world-renowned for their famous saveloy dips. Not convinced by the chippy saveloy though, I like mine with the requisite pease pudding and stuffing.
dicksons.png
dicksons.png (258.94 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:06pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Ever go for the saveloy?
I live in the saveloy capital of England. Dicksons of South Shields are world-renowned for their famous saveloy dips. Not convinced by the chippy saveloy though, I like mine with the requisite pease pudding and stuffing.

dicksons.png
WTF is that? It looks lile a couple of hot dogs with...? On a bun that isn't sized properly.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:15pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Ever go for the saveloy?

dicksons.png
WTF is that? It looks lile a couple of hot dogs with...? On a bun that isn't sized properly.
It's saveloy with pease pudding, sage and onion stuffing and mustard. People travel to my town to eat these from far around. We're like a low rent chav version of Craster kippers.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:20pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Ever go for the saveloy?

dicksons.png
It's saveloy with pease pudding, sage and onion stuffing and mustard. People travel to my town to eat these from far around. We're like a low rent chav version of Craster kippers.
Over here they would be called red hots, or Michigans. basically a spicy hot dog. There used to be a fairly famous and successful red hot place down the road from me. Word is it was run by a grumpy old fuck Charlie and he just closed the place amd refused to share his special recipe with anyone.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Ever go for the saveloy?

dicksons.png
Over here they would be called red hots, or Michigans. basically a spicy hot dog. There used to be a fairly famous and successful red hot place down the road from me. Word is it was run by a grumpy old fuck Charlie and he just closed the place amd refused to share his special recipe with anyone.
No real spice in these other than the English mustard which makes it more earthy than the archetypal American hot dog.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

dicksons.png
No real spice in these other than the English mustard which makes it more earthy than the archetypal American hot dog.
That's weird when I looked them up it made them sound spicey as opposed to generic hot dog. I think Wikipedia even equated them to Red Hots.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:10pm
Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

That's weird when I looked them up it made them sound spicey as opposed to generic hot dog. I think Wikipedia even equated them to Red Hots.
Plus, it's in the sausage. A saveloy is rather different to your average hot dog sausage. It's angrier and yet sausagier at the same time.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

category_956_8833.jpg
category_956_8833.jpg (154.85 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
This is where it's at when it comes to hot dogs: the classic Chicago Dog.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:38pm
category_956_8833.jpg

Tomatoes huh?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:38pm
category_956_8833.jpg

Tomatoes huh?
I don't mind tomatoes on a dog but I'd rather they be minced.