JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:55pm
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:24pm
Shitty band of white people sue black woman after they decided to make their name not so fucking racist.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... te-1302517
Country group Lady A, which dropped the word "Antebellum" from their name because of the word's ties to slavery, has filed a lawsuit against a Black singer who has performed as Lady A for years.
Jesus Christ, even if you don't pause over the ethics—who had the name first, dumbasses?—but what an amazingly bad look to sue an African American given the context of the name change.
It's just the epitome of performative faux-woke nonsense.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:33pm
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:07pm

Yeah shit band doing shit things. I cringed the first time I heard that band name. Who the fuck comes up with it and says "yeah that's cool"?

Im waiting for someone here to jump to their defense in some way...
The best thing I can say about the original band name is that it does have a certain aesthetic flair to it. What it conjures up is gross, but the phrasing itself succeeds. In the same way that I can be impressed with the aesthetics of Nazi designs and the like.
But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means
Oh, there's no way they don't know what it means. They could coyly say Southern heritage and all that shit, but it plays around with the same ugly romanticism as Gone With the Wind. That some of us still appreciate Southern values of chivalry and honour. Maybe they're dumb enough not to get the code, but that shit is all about "plausible" deniability. They may as well call their band Masters of the Plantation.
Lady Slave Master.
I used to always joke that I prefer their tribute band, Dude Nuremberg Laws.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:23pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The best thing I can say about the original band name is that it does have a certain aesthetic flair to it. What it conjures up is gross, but the phrasing itself succeeds. In the same way that I can be impressed with the aesthetics of Nazi designs and the like.
But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means
Oh, there's no way they don't know what it means. They could coyly say Southern heritage and all that shit, but it plays around with the same ugly romanticism as Gone With the Wind. That some of us still appreciate Southern values of chivalry and honour. Maybe they're dumb enough not to get the code, but that shit is all about "plausible" deniability. They may as well call their band Masters of the Plantation.
Lady Slave Master.
I remember a lot of good jokes about it, eumaas referencing swastika as something that sounds cool if you know nothing else about the word. Apparently it was a fb exchange? viewtopic.php?p=232286#p232286
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:37pm
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Lady Slave Master.
I remember a lot of good jokes about it, eumaas referencing swastika as something that sounds cool if you know nothing else about the word. Apparently it was a fb exchange? viewtopic.php?p=232286#p232286
Ha! We had some great FB exchanges back in the day. My favorite was the one when Gene and I spammed your page with vomit variations of Springsteen song titles. I think you had come home from work with like 100 notifications or something.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lady Slave Master.
They could call themselves anything else and their Hootie-esque fans would be all over it like the flies on the shit they are.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:48pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lady Slave Master.
Ha! We had some great FB exchanges back in the day. My favorite was the one when Gene and I spammed your page with vomit variations of Springsteen song titles. I think you had come home from work with like 100 notifications or something.
And my non-IMCT friends joined in! Such disrespect.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 1:33pm
JennyB wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:48pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:

Lady Slave Master.
And my non-IMCT friends joined in! Such disrespect.
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I heard a Nillson song where he kept saying "Fuck you", what song was that?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:49pm
I heard a Nillson song where he kept saying "Fuck you", what song was that?
Fuck You

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Johnny Thunders' You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory is kind of an Eve of Destruction/Can't Stop the Rain mash up.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

For 101 only...

every-coldplay-song-ranked-in-order-of-greatness-

https://www.nme.com/features/every-cold ... 704676?amp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 11:23am
For 101 only...

Pity the unpaid intern tasked with doing that job. Helping the editor's kid with their algebra homework doesn't seem so bad now, huh?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 11:23am
For 101 only...

Can't be arsed to look but I would hope Viva La Vida is number one. The only record of theirs I ever really cared for.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

How can you rank something in order of greatness that isn't great at all?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 11:54am
How can you rank something in order of greatness that isn't great at all?
You're a teacher, aren't you? Grading on a curve produces all kinds of mutations that should be drowned in a bathtub.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft