clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by Marky Dread »

Yep already mentioned the Lightning Raiders further up the thread. With bass player Andy Allan playing with Cook and Jones in The Professionals and on The Great Rock 'n' Swindle.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I did see it, but I thought it might be interesting for anyone who wanted to see that whole story laid out -- the first time I saw the Lightning Raiders mentioned came in a special Kerrang! from the summer of '85, which claimed that Island had four LPs (!) of material under lock and key. Apparently not, since the reissue basically rounds up the two singles and one EP. Anyway, Mr. Butler did quite a lot in his lifetime, though he's one of those guys, as I mentioned, whose name pops up a lot, but not one you'd have given much thought to, unless you had one of those releases with him on it. That's all.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 5:08pm
I did see it, but I thought it might be interesting for anyone who wanted to see that whole story laid out -- the first time I saw the Lightning Raiders mentioned came in a special Kerrang! from the summer of '85, which claimed that Island had four LPs (!) of material under lock and key. Apparently not, since the reissue basically rounds up the two singles and one EP. Anyway, Mr. Butler did quite a lot in his lifetime, though he's one of those guys, as I mentioned, whose name pops up a lot, but not one you'd have given much thought to, unless you had one of those releases with him on it. That's all.
I bought the Psychedelic Music single in 1980 being a big Pistols fan I would buy anything related.

The Lightning Raiders were one of those band's that could've been contenders but somehow something always got in their way.

I've got the Punks from the Underground CD which has most of the info as to who plays on what completely wrong. All the players were regulars at the Speakeasy club and went to Island studios after a drinking session and recorded. Hot Rods and many others that ended up backing Johnny Thunders on his So Alone album.

Various Punks
‘Punks from the Underground’ CD

Rare, exclusive 1978 punk sessions arranged by Eddie & the Hot Rods manager at Island Studios

This 'obscure punk compilation' has an interesting back-story.  Eddie & the Hot Rods manager ED HOLLIS together with producer/engineer STEVE LILLYWHITE invited their band friends and journalist mates to record at Island Records studio.  Island wanted to get into the new punk scene that they didn't understand and thought Ed Hollis was perfectly positioned to form a new Island Records' punk label.

Tumbling out of the musicians late-night club The Speakeasy, along came: - 

Two of the HEARTBREAKERS, members of THE ONLY ONES under the name SPEEDBALLS (previously mistakenly credited to Sean Tyla), famed NME journalist NICK KENT, famed late Sounds journalist GIOVANNI DADOMO’s Snivelling Sh!ts, THE LIGHTNING RAIDERS, various members of EDDIE & THE HOT RODS along with Southend musicians, their roadie Deeno as DEENO'S MARVELS, Ed's brother MARK HOLLIS in his pre-TALK TALK days (mistakenly credited to The Sh!ts), and various other guest stars from the London punk scene of the time.

Nick Kent's band THE SUBTERANNEANS were Peter Perrett, John Perry, Mike Kellie (all from THE ONLY ONES) together with Tony James (GENERATION X); all uncredited.

This CD is "misleadingly labelled and appallingly packaged" - but writer Simon Wright has made thorough investigations and interviewed many of the participants, and detailed the sessions and background in his 'Only Rock'n'Roll' blog.  Google: 'Ed Hollis Speedball' and you'll find it - his article makes excellent sleeve-notes to accompany this CD.

The CD comes with a 12-page booklet with Japanese titles and English lyrics translated from the audio by Japanese - BUT very little info on exactly who was on these almost secret, London punk scene sessions!  The real details are approximately these:-

Mark Hollis (later of Talk Talk) (mistakenly credited to The Sh!ts): I’m Flying; 
The Sh!ts (Giovanni Dadomo, Pete Makowski & friends): I’m Waiting For My Crossroads;
Heartbreakers (Walter Lure, Billy Rath, Henri Paul Tortosa): Too Much Junkie Business; 
Deeno’s Marvel (Southend band with Rods' roadie Deano): Oil City Rockers; 
The Speedballs (Only Ones' John Perry & Mike Kellie): Speedball Jive; 
Nick Kent: Switch-hitter Dub; 
The Sh!ts: Bring Me The Head; 
Nick Kent & The Subteranneans: Chinese Shadow; 
The Lightning Raiders (Pink Fairies offshoot): DiDja; 
Heartbreakers (Lure, Rath, Tortosa): Seven Day Weekend; 
Vegetables (actually The Sh!ts): Vegetable Man; 
The Phantoms (Henri Paul Tortosa & Steve Nichol): High School. 

(12 tracks)

Other recordings from these sessions include Johnny Thunders & The Hot Rods EPs, recently released on Remarquable Records.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I bought the Psychedelic Music single in 1980 being a big Pistols fan I would buy anything related.

The Lightning Raiders were one of those band's that could've been contenders but somehow something always got in their way.

I've got the Punks from the Underground CD which has most of the info as to who plays on what completely wrong. All the players were regulars at the Speakeasy club and went to Island studios after a drinking session and recorded. Hot Rods and many others that ended up backing Johnny Thunders on his So Alone album.
Well, that's what piqued my curiosity, was that reference to four LPs under lock and key. I thought, "Either, they were the unluckiest bastards on the circuit, or it's the biggest piece of cow plop anyone popped into a tape player." :mrgreen: But I wasn't able to get my LR fix until a couple months ago -- but I think that reissue CD is really good. I can't think of a track on it I dislike, which is more than I can say for some others I've run across.

I'd heard of 'Punks From The Underground,' but never actually seen any info about it -- so I always wondered what that was. Thanks for clearing that up -- looks another one that I have to track down.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 6:06pm

Well, that's what piqued my curiosity, was that reference to four LPs under lock and key. I thought, "Either, they were the unluckiest bastards on the circuit, or it's the biggest piece of cow plop anyone popped into a tape player." :mrgreen: But I wasn't able to get my LR fix until a couple months ago -- but I think that reissue CD is really good. I can't think of a track on it I dislike, which is more than I can say for some others I've run across.

I'd heard of 'Punks From The Underground,' but never actually seen any info about it -- so I always wondered what that was. Thanks for clearing that up -- looks another one that I have to track down.
Yeah I remember the stories of unreleased material going around. I still think there is some unreleased stuff but I think Sweet Revenge is likely to be the only thing to get a release. I was certain I had a live tape of them years back but I can't find it if it existed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Too bad you don't have that tape! I'm sure it was a corker. The Lightning Raiders Wikipedia entry also mentions two seemingly associated bands, with whom they played a lot -- Kitsch, who had the same management, and a power trio, apparently, called Killerhertz. I'd be curious to see what they sounded like, though I doubt that anyone was taping them, or keeping tabs on them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 4:44pm
Too bad you don't have that tape! I'm sure it was a corker. The Lightning Raiders Wikipedia entry also mentions two seemingly associated bands, with whom they played a lot -- Kitsch, who had the same management, and a power trio, apparently, called Killerhertz. I'd be curious to see what they sounded like, though I doubt that anyone was taping them, or keeping tabs on them.
Killerhertz consisting of Hugo Mallett (guitar) Doug McArthur (bass) and former Chelsea drummer Marc Rathbone. Another support act for the Raiders were long haired glam boys Kitsch (under the same management as the Raiders) Kitsch bass player Paul Raven (RIP) went on to join London cult band, Killing Joke.

I saw Kitsch support someone back in the day (Thin Lizzy maybe) I didn't think much of them and was stunned when I learned it was the same Raven that played bass for KJ.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Killerhertz consisting of Hugo Mallett (guitar) Doug McArthur (bass) and former Chelsea drummer Marc Rathbone. Another support act for the Raiders were long haired glam boys Kitsch (under the same management as the Raiders) Kitsch bass player Paul Raven (RIP) went on to join London cult band, Killing Joke.

I saw Kitsch support someone back in the day (Thin Lizzy maybe) I didn't think much of them and was stunned when I learned it was the same Raven that played bass for KJ.
I see what you mean -- it's OK for what it is, but nothing to write home about, on first listen, anyway. Was this their only release, a 45 or something, I presume? And I take it Killerhertz never got to that point, of releasing anything?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 7:06pm

I see what you mean -- it's OK for what it is, but nothing to write home about, on first listen, anyway. Was this their only release, a 45 or something, I presume? And I take it Killerhertz never got to that point, of releasing anything?
I think it may be just a track on a various artists compilation. Yes you're correct nothing from Killerhertz.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

FarawayTowns wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
Newly unearthed colour photo of Joe running 1983 London Marathon.
joe marathon2.jpg

Photographer Steve Rapport unearthed his photos recently...

https://www.punktuationmag.com/news/uns ... iscovered/

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

This pic just popped up on Facebook. Anyone any idea where it's from. Can't find a date with Dictator either 3rd or 4th song that matches

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dictator was played third only one time i can see, in Dusseldorf. But rest of tracklist doesnt fit so doesnt appear to be that.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-clas ... 7296f.html

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 10:11am
Dictator was played third only one time i can see, in Dusseldorf. But rest of tracklist doesnt fit so doesnt appear to be that.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-clas ... 7296f.html
Definitely seems like early 84 since it's very rock-centric - no Straight to Hell or Broadway, for example that crept into the set by May.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 5:19am
FarawayTowns wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
Newly unearthed colour photo of Joe running 1983 London Marathon.
joe marathon2.jpg

Photographer Steve Rapport unearthed his photos recently...

https://www.punktuationmag.com/news/uns ... iscovered/
Another one...
Attachments
d007f81c7b711797e644f824ed5b553d.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Request...

If anyone has any pics of Topper from Bonds please upload them. Cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia