The Kaleb Horton Deceased Estonian Trade Minister Thread, 2020 edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Estonian Trade Minister Thread, 2020 edition

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 8:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 5:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:41am
Truth be told, i hated his football philosophy. But can't argue about his legacy or the joy he brought thousands of people. RIP.
The way his teams played or the fake Irish thing?
Both really. Hated seeing technically gifted players reduced to hoofball just to get results. No place for a footballing genius like Liam Brady etc. Never sat right with me. As did the granny rule stuff. But Jacks job was to deliver results and obviously never cared much for anybody's opinion on how he delivered them!
Yes fair play to him he did the best he could (? probably) with what he could get his hands on to work with.
It did open the door for people like Vinny Jones to play for Wales etc. but I presume they have tightened up on all that now.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 8:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Truth be told, i hated his football philosophy. But can't argue about his legacy or the joy he brought thousands of people. RIP.
Both really. Hated seeing technically gifted players reduced to hoofball just to get results. No place for a footballing genius like Liam Brady etc. Never sat right with me. As did the granny rule stuff. But Jacks job was to deliver results and obviously never cared much for anybody's opinion on how he delivered them!
Yes fair play to him he did the best he could (? probably) with what he could get his hands on to work with.
It did open the door for people like Vinny Jones to play for Wales etc. but I presume they have tightened up on all that now.
Granny rule still pretty much in play as it was i think, but harder for countries like ireland to rely on it as the talent just isnt there. You need to develop and nurture young players as wales and even scotland, to their credit, are beginning to do again. I recall Vinnie spending a week in ireland trying to track his irish roots down, with a camera crew following him around. Embarrassing, a complete circus.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Granny rule still pretty much in play as it was i think, but harder for countries like ireland to rely on it as the talent just isnt there. You need to develop and nurture young players as wales and even scotland, to their credit, are beginning to do again. I recall Vinnie spending a week in ireland trying to track his irish roots down, with a camera crew following him around. Embarrassing, a complete circus.
That is even more of an insult to Wales if they were Jones’ second choice (although you would think his name would be the clue).

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 11:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

That is even more of an insult to Wales if they were Jones’ second choice (although you would think his name would be the clue).
From the horse's mouth:

"Certainly, one of the proudest moments of my career was when I was called up to play for Wales, although it might have been the Republic of Ireland first!

Jack Charlton apparently wanted me and we scrambled around trying to find Nanny Harris’s birth certificate - she was born in Dublin. But everything had been destroyed in a fire - so it was left to my grandad Arthur Jones to come up trumps."

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

In the grand IMCT tradition of Thread Drift, what would be the effect on the game if the offsides rule were eliminated in football?

I've never liked it, in large part because the calls are very apt to be blown, what with a linesman or referee running full speed whilst trying to triangulate offensive and defensive players, plus the ball's position.

What harm is there in allowing one or two offensive players to hang out near the goal?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Spiff wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 8:19am
In the grand IMCT tradition of Thread Drift, what would be the effect on the game if the offsides rule were eliminated in football?

I've never liked it, in large part because the calls are very apt to be blown, what with a linesman or referee running full speed whilst trying to triangulate offensive and defensive players, plus the ball's position.

What harm is there in allowing one or two offensive players to hang out near the goal?
I think beating the offside trap remains a fundamental skill of the game but you could definitely look at ways of giving the attacking player a bit more of the advantage. I do remember Sepp Blatter proposing they ditch the rule completely but he was also advocating tighter shorts for female players so not sure anyone took him very seriously.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 9:58am
Spiff wrote:

I think beating the offside trap remains a fundamental skill of the game but you could definitely look at ways of giving the attacking player a bit more of the advantage. I do remember Sepp Blatter proposing they ditch the rule completely but he was also advocating tighter shorts for female players so not sure anyone took him very seriously.
No the offside rule has to stay although there are a couple of changes I would consider.
1) Get rid of this stupid ‘interfering with play’ rule. If you are offside you are offside. Problem is your marker still has to keep an eye on you which means you are interfering with play.
2) Move the offside line from halfway to halfway towards goal. Teams press so high now the game just gets too squashed. If you had players a further 25m forward it would create more space.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 4:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Spiff wrote:

No the offside rule has to stay although there are a couple of changes I would consider.
1) Get rid of this stupid ‘interfering with play’ rule. If you are offside you are offside. Problem is your marker still has to keep an eye on you which means you are interfering with play.
2) Move the offside line from halfway to halfway towards goal. Teams press so high now the game just gets too squashed. If you had players a further 25m forward it would create more space.
Two things I would like changed.

1. Go back to being able kick the ball back to the keeper and he can pick it up.

2. The keeper is not allowed out of the 18 yard box.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 4:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Spiff wrote:

1. Go back to being able kick the ball back to the keeper and he can pick it up.

1. Never. Go back and watch Denmark at Euro champs.

2. I can see merit in that one, bloody sweeper keepers

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 4:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Spiff wrote:

I'm thinking more for the Premiere League where the rule rarely gets used. It eliminates all the stupidity of did he or didn't deliberately touch the ball and so on.

With the first one it would make the game more exciting when a quick ball is played out from a corner and the striker is running after the ball only to be met by the keeper 5 or 6 yards outside his box. We might get more goals also if the keeper has to stay in his 18 yard box. Some fun one on one's to watch.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 12 Jul 2020, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Yeah the keeper one is definitely something they could look at and i think moving the offside line further back has merit as well. Thats what i was alluding to when i mentioned the advantage for the attacking team.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 5:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I'm thinking more for the Premiere League where the rule rarely gets used. It eliminates all the stupidity of did he or didn't deliberately touch the ball and so on.

With the first one it would make the game more exciting when a quick ball is played out from a corner and the striker is running after the ball only to be met by the keeper 5 or 6 yards outside his box. We might get more goals also if the keeper has to stay in his 18 yard box. Some fun one on one's to watch.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 6:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 5:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes remember it well but you can easily over come that with a wasting time rule.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Grant Imahara, host of 'MythBusters' and 'White Rabbit Project,' has died. @49.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Grant Imahara, host of 'MythBusters' and 'White Rabbit Project,' has died. @49.
Oh no I loved that show I used to watch with my kids. He was great.