Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 2 Vote - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:01pm
If this album is is to showcase the best of women (vocals) have we got the right nominations, or is it to compile the best ‘songs’ on which women are the lead vocal?
Given that the nature of the game is competition rather than coordination and cooperation, the answer has to be the latter. The former would be thinking about the whole from the start and seeking pieces that fit that final whole. But the game is set up as competition, with no intent beyond the immediate song.
I was listening to Timebomb and trying to ascertain where it fit. Good song and female lead but not a good showcase for vocal performance.
I’m going to go with best song.
You've got like 15 minutes. Tho unless there's a weird late rush, your vote really matter in terms of who goes to the final round.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:28pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:01pm
If this album is is to showcase the best of women (vocals) have we got the right nominations, or is it to compile the best ‘songs’ on which women are the lead vocal?
Given that the nature of the game is competition rather than coordination and cooperation, the answer has to be the latter. The former would be thinking about the whole from the start and seeking pieces that fit that final whole. But the game is set up as competition, with no intent beyond the immediate song.
I was listening to Timebomb and trying to ascertain where it fit. Good song and female lead but not a good showcase for vocal performance.
I’m going to go with best song.
You've got like 15 minutes. Tho unless there's a weird late rush, your vote really matter in terms of who goes to the final round.
Sorry Pollmaster I blew it ☹️

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Fucking hell, don't overthink it. I just vote for my favourite song. No tactical thinking or waiting til the end. Just vote for your favourite song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:42pm
Fucking hell, don't overthink it. I just vote for my favourite song. No tactical thinking or waiting til the end. Just vote for your favourite song.
I did I voted for Lene Lovich and look where that got us 🙄

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:43pm
Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 6:42pm
I did I voted for Lene Lovich and look where that got us 🙄
Well you voted honestly, that's what people should do. I'm the town cryer for Dancing Queen but it's done out of pure love. I would never tactically vote against it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Never heard the other two songs (I've seriously only heard two Chumbawamba songs in my life and one was some acapella cover of Bankrobber). The For What It's Worth interpolation is kinda off putting for me, but I can generally see the appeal. Lucky Number is fine and seems like the kinda quirky hit that could only happen 78-85.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 9:44am
Lucky Number is fine and seems like the kinda quirky hit that could only happen 78-85.
That was my thought. It's a solid song, and it being a hit was very reflective of the era when all kinds of unconventional songs somehow found traction in the charts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 9:47am
matedog wrote:
Lucky Number is fine and seems like the kinda quirky hit that could only happen 78-85.
That was my thought. It's a solid song, and it being a hit was very reflective of the era when all kinds of unconventional songs somehow found traction in the charts.
Hello,

It strikes me that unconventional songs having shots at wide-spread exposure and appeal is a good thing. Thus, please understand me when I say I miss that era.

Heston

Post by Heston »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

It strikes me that unconventional songs having shots at wide-spread exposure and appeal is a good thing. Thus, please understand me when I say I miss that era.
Agreed big time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

Yep, completely (even tho I was too young and unexposed to experience it at the time). The trauma experienced within the record industry provided a rare opportunity, and one that won't come around again because the structure is utterly fragmented now.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:30am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

Yep, completely (even tho I was too young and unexposed to experience it at the time). The trauma experienced within the record industry provided a rare opportunity, and one that won't come around again because the structure is utterly fragmented now.
I guess I see it somewhat differently in that rarely has music I liked been in the charts/wildly popular. I suppose I was fortunate to grow up in an area where I had a lot of exposure to different types of music. Music should be about discovery but the music industry is about spoon feeding. Sure you'll like some of it but if you're fed a steady diet of bland food with no inclination to seek out something different then its apple sauce for you. Sometimes with chunks and sometimes with extra flavoring but it's still gonna be apple sauce.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

That gay black cowboy song that's like a minute and a half long being the biggest thing of 2019 shows we can still have weird hits. Probably not as prevalent now, but social media has a way to circumvent a lot of industry pull today that wasn't a thing back then.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also recording is cheaper than ever, allowing for people to get much closer to professional sounding recordings with home equipment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

That gay black cowboy song that's like a minute and a half long being the biggest thing of 2019 shows we can still have weird hits. Probably not as prevalent now, but social media has a way to circumvent a lot of industry pull today that wasn't a thing back then.
But the reach of hit songs is much less than it once was. The structure of mainstream is much smaller than it once was, as the industry is guided more by genre and delivery method now. Back in 1980, it was radio and only radio, and Top 40 reached a larger percentage. Today, it's easy to be a heavy consumer of music and never sniff the mainstream. (Television is the same way.) We'll never have huge star like Michael Jackson or Madonna or the Beatles again. The landscape just isn't conducive to that kind of mass appeal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:05pm
matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

But the reach of hit songs is much less than it once was. The structure of mainstream is much smaller than it once was, as the industry is guided more by genre and delivery method now. Back in 1980, it was radio and only radio, and Top 40 reached a larger percentage. Today, it's easy to be a heavy consumer of music and never sniff the mainstream. (Television is the same way.) We'll never have huge star like Michael Jackson or Madonna or the Beatles again. The landscape just isn't conducive to that kind of mass appeal.
I see what you mean but arent there plenty of "new" mega artists right now, not strictly in the rock realm but more pop and/or hip hop.