Mandela Affect

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Mandela Affect

Post by Marky Dread »

I've never really joined.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 7:53pm
You're in the army now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 8:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
You're in the army now.
But I've got a Kajagoogoo album. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You're in the army now.
Hang on now, is that straight from the lion's mouth?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 1:40pm
I agree owners of big clubs are in the main horrible unscrupulous parasites, but at the same time they are just doing what they were born to do which is serving the bottom line and generating profit from ever loyal "consumers". I blame those who sold the sports out to them and those who stood idly by and let it happen.

Other big issue is simple over saturation. I remember not long ago, the 1990s in fact, when there was just The Big Match on Sunday afternoons on itv, MOTD on saturday night and then maybe European or international stuff occasionally on weekdays and you couldn't wait for it. Now it's like that Mitchell and Webb sketch - "there will be football on this weekend" - and just very little of it truly excites me anymore and i dont know how much of that is just getting old!
Living outside of UK I get every EPL game live and also downloaded to an app so if I don’t want to watch live I can watch any game any time. It partially makes up for not being able to go to games which I would do if I was in UK.

Problem with owners is that as the value of clubs goes up (TV money) the less number of people can afford to be owners and the unscrupulous the potential candidates are.
Like I said look at Newcastle.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 8:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 1:40pm
I agree owners of big clubs are in the main horrible unscrupulous parasites, but at the same time they are just doing what they were born to do which is serving the bottom line and generating profit from ever loyal "consumers". I blame those who sold the sports out to them and those who stood idly by and let it happen.

Other big issue is simple over saturation. I remember not long ago, the 1990s in fact, when there was just The Big Match on Sunday afternoons on itv, MOTD on saturday night and then maybe European or international stuff occasionally on weekdays and you couldn't wait for it. Now it's like that Mitchell and Webb sketch - "there will be football on this weekend" - and just very little of it truly excites me anymore and i dont know how much of that is just getting old!
Living outside of UK I get every EPL game live and also downloaded to an app so if I don’t want to watch live I can watch any game any time. It partially makes up for not being able to go to games which I would do if I was in UK.

Problem with owners is that as the value of clubs goes up (TV money) the less number of people can afford to be owners and the unscrupulous the potential candidates are.
Like I said look at Newcastle.
They do of course have something called a "fit and proper person" test for club ownership, but fuck knows what unspeakable atrocities you have to commit before failing it. If i had my way all clubs would be 100% owned by the fans and run through local authorities but of course that's just a ludicrous pipe dream. Yet in Germany they seem to do alright with their "50+1" rule which ensures no Mike Ashley bottom line fuck the fans types can gain overall control and sell out at first convenience. Its not perfect by any stretch but it at least ensures fans have a stake and a genuine say in how the club is run. It seems to work ok for them anyway, though you'll always have the odd dissenting voice.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 8:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You're in the army now.
Hang on now, is that straight from the lion's mouth?
"Lion's den".

Yes I was a conscientious objector to crap music. "White Feathers". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 9:50pm
They do of course have something called a "fit and proper person" test for club ownership, but fuck knows what unspeakable atrocities you have to commit before failing it.
It'll be interesting to see if the Saudi takeover of Newcastle is approved or denied. Presumably they would pass any fit/proper test by the usual measure (no outstanding convictions / proof of money) but apparently there's pressure from Qatar to deny it due to Qatar owning Middle Eastern rights to the PL and Saudi Arabia illegally streaming them.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 9:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 9:50pm
They do of course have something called a "fit and proper person" test for club ownership, but fuck knows what unspeakable atrocities you have to commit before failing it.
It'll be interesting to see if the Saudi takeover of Newcastle is approved or denied. Presumably they would pass any fit/proper test by the usual measure (no outstanding convictions / proof of money) but apparently there's pressure from Qatar to deny it due to Qatar owning Middle Eastern rights to the PL and Saudi Arabia illegally streaming them.
Be astonished if it wasnt approved, as far as i know only 3 people ever have failed the test and one of those was some poor hapless sap from the boyband One Direction.