Politics and other such topical creams.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 7:18pm
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... od-1303210

I admit that I'm only vaguely aware of these antisemitic incidences—a Jewish friend recently asked me about the Eagles one, but otherwise I haven't clued in on any of this. Sad that a column like this still has to be written.
But good on Kareem for writing it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 7:18pm
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... od-1303210

I admit that I'm only vaguely aware of these antisemitic incidences—a Jewish friend recently asked me about the Eagles one, but otherwise I haven't clued in on any of this. Sad that a column like this still has to be written.
But good on Kareem for writing it.
An extremely rare athlete—intelligent, critical, and not unafraid to be publicly grouchy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Holy fucking smokes, I don't think I'd heard of any of those incidencea. Horrible that folks are saying these things, and good for Kareem for calling it.

He's right: peddling in this shit undermines whatever social justice you're trying to achieve.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 9:25pm
Holy fucking smokes, I don't think I'd heard of any of those incidencea. Horrible that folks are saying these things, and good for Kareem for calling it.

He's right: peddling in this shit undermines whatever social justice you're trying to achieve.
Rule of thumb, Kareem is an excellent moral compass. This is difficult for me to say about a Laker but I love that man. He's a fantastic American.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 10:56pm
Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 9:25pm

Rule of thumb, Kareem is an excellent moral compass. This is difficult for me to say about a Laker but I love that man. He's a fantastic American.
He's proven himself to be.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Go fuck yourself hard and raw, Cube: https://www.newsweek.com/ice-cube-slams ... es-1518176
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 4:58pm
Go fuck yourself hard and raw, Cube: https://www.newsweek.com/ice-cube-slams ... es-1518176
ugh. there goes any pleasure i got from his music. gross.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 4:58pm
ugh. there goes any pleasure i got from his music. gross.
Fuck the Police is a great song but I cant say Ive ever been a fan of anything else. Ice Cube has made antisemitic remarks before back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 6:05pm
Fuck the Police is a great song but I cant say Ive ever been a fan of anything else. Ice Cube has made antisemitic remarks before back in the late 80s or early 90s.
Yeah, I guess I've heard a few things here and there. Besides NWA, his first solo album is a stone cold classic and he has some good stuff here and there after that. But not good enough.

Pex Lives!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Flex wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 7:22pm
revbob wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 6:05pm
Yeah, I guess I've heard a few things here and there. Besides NWA, his first solo album is a stone cold classic and he has some good stuff here and there after that. But not good enough.
I'd go as far to say his first four solo albums are considered classics (Amerikkkas Most Wanted / Death Certificate / The Predator / Lethal Injection) and he's only really had a couple of duds but each one has at least one song where you think "stop talking Ice Cube" due to misogyny, homophobia or anti-antisemitism and it's hard to listen without cringing a a little bit.

It always seemed like rappers could get away with it until someone stepped up and called it out. Maybe we're at that point.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the books I assigned this year was Tricia Rose's The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop—And Why It Matters. It deals with the problem of white racism and vulgar hip hop's trafficking in misogyny and glorificatio of predatory criminality and violence. That is, the difficulty of criticizing the latter without sitting amongst the former. The more underlying argument is that both white conservatives and vulgar hip hop are actually working in tandem to promote a debased idea of black culture and worth, and that fans are complicit by buying those records. Boiled down, she says be better, be more demanding, and don't make excuses for horrible people. The book is a bit dated now in terms of vulgar hip hop's popularity and media coverage, but the point about being more ethical consumers still stands.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I mean, there's a place for anti-social nasty shit in music, blasting out some catharsis, but fuck if I know where to draw the line.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 11:16am
I mean, there's a place for anti-social nasty shit in music, blasting out some catharsis, but fuck if I know where to draw the line.
It's tough … and tougher in more recent years. Back in the 90s, the academic buzzword was transgressive, where shitty words and actions could be spun into a resistance guided by, in some measure, irony. It retrospect, it feels more like rationalizing punching down to make it seem like we were punching up. There may have been some therapeutic pleasure from trafficking in rude humour and the like, but it's hard to see it as being politically or morally justifiable.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 9:16am
One of the books I assigned this year was Tricia Rose's The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop—And Why It Matters. It deals with the problem of white racism and vulgar hip hop's trafficking in misogyny and glorificatio of predatory criminality and violence. That is, the difficulty of criticizing the latter without sitting amongst the former. The more underlying argument is that both white conservatives and vulgar hip hop are actually working in tandem to promote a debased idea of black culture and worth, and that fans are complicit by buying those records. Boiled down, she says be better, be more demanding, and don't make excuses for horrible people. The book is a bit dated now in terms of vulgar hip hop's popularity and media coverage, but the point about being more ethical consumers still stands.
I see (hear) no difference between crap like Skrewdriver and hip hop that goes down the vulgarity route. Both are promoting bad stuff and neither are positive.

It's good to be bad at times and then not.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 11:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 9:16am
I see (hear) no difference between crap like Skrewdriver and hip hop that goes down the vulgarity route. Both are promoting bad stuff and neither are positive.

It's good to be bad at times and then not.
Man, for a bunch of punk fans, we all sure seem churchy. :shifty: