Wally's in the future...

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Wally's in the future...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 12:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 12:18pm
I thought Ratty put it well, once upon a time, in his opposition to what he called the Facebook tax. That is, when people post pictures or announce pointless shit about their lives, there's an obligation to Like it or comment, otherwise someone's nose gets out of joint and there might be real world repercussions (e.g., Aunt Linda gets pissed off that you didn't give a thumbs up to cousin Sandy getting her braces off, and complains to your mother, who is annoyed at you for creating this situation). We all know the stories about unfriending over dumb stuff like that. Like Ratty, I see that as a price greater than what Facebook offers, so I've gladly stayed away. Knowing that much about my family means being expected to be more invested in their lives than I want.
Luckily for me I spent decades cultivating my image as an unreliable and distant person so no one in my friend or family circle expects me to do anything on there.
Back in April, my siblings announced a Zoom meeting, to which I acquiesced. A couple days later, my nephew emailed to tell me that I made my sister extremely happy. I told him that I never planned it, but five decades of lowering expectations has meant that I can impress the fuck out of my family with the bare minimum of effort now. There's a lesson in there, kids. If they'd held me in higher regard before, I'd really be boned now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 12:44pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I thought Ratty put it well, once upon a time, in his opposition to what he called the Facebook tax. That is, when people post pictures or announce pointless shit about their lives, there's an obligation to Like it or comment, otherwise someone's nose gets out of joint and there might be real world repercussions (e.g., Aunt Linda gets pissed off that you didn't give a thumbs up to cousin Sandy getting her braces off, and complains to your mother, who is annoyed at you for creating this situation). We all know the stories about unfriending over dumb stuff like that. Like Ratty, I see that as a price greater than what Facebook offers, so I've gladly stayed away. Knowing that much about my family means being expected to be more invested in their lives than I want.
Luckily for me I spent decades cultivating my image as an unreliable and distant person so no one in my friend or family circle expects me to do anything on there.
Back in April, my siblings announced a Zoom meeting, to which I acquiesced. A couple days later, my nephew emailed to tell me that I made my sister extremely happy. I told him that I never planned it, but five decades of lowering expectations has meant that I can impress the fuck out of my family with the bare minimum of effort now. There's a lesson in there, kids. If they'd held me in higher regard before, I'd really be boned now.
Ali always marvels that my dad never puts pressure on me to live my life any other way than I do. I told her it’s partially that he’s really laid back, but it’s also due to the fact that I spent my late teens/early twenties relentlessly letting him down.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My family was doing them, sisters, cousins etc. Either they stopped doing them or they stopped inviting me. Someone decided that it was the forum to announce their support for Trump amd who else was supporting him. One cousin even suggested that if you dont support Trump you didn't deserve one of those stimulus checks. I said something like support who you want but please dont go injecting lysol because you're part of my family and care about you. The call sort of petered out and I never got another invite.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 1:41pm
My family was doing them, sisters, cousins etc. Either they stopped doing them or they stopped inviting me. Someone decided that it was the forum to announce their support for Trump amd who else was supporting him. One cousin even suggested that if you dont support Trump you didn't deserve one of those stimulus checks. I said something like support who you want but please dont go injecting lysol because you're part of my family and care about you. The call sort of petered out and I never got another invite.
My family generally goes the other way. They're kneejerk social democrats, Americans-are-all-crazy-Trumpers. When I engage in political discussion, I either come at them from the left or address cartoonish views of the right. It's not all that edifying, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ali always marvels that my dad never puts pressure on me to live my life any other way than I do. I told her it’s partially that he’s really laid back, but it’s also due to the fact that I spent my late teens/early twenties relentlessly letting him down.
*high five* We're practically inspirations to others for the fact that we can tie our shoes.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I managed to get in touch with my original best man in New Zealand after 25 years of not even knowing whether he was dead or alive.
For that alone, it's worth it for me
Also I get to see Heston's haircuts from boy to man :mrgreen:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
There's no obligation to like anything as no one knows if you've seen it or not. Their algorithms don't go that far yet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

white man wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 2:10pm
I managed to get in touch with my original best man in New Zealand after 25 years of not even knowing whether he was dead or alive.
For that alone, it's worth it for me
Also I get to see Heston's haircuts from boy to man :mrgreen:
Heston’s haircuts are a high point.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 4:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There's no obligation to like anything as no one knows if you've seen it or not. Their algorithms don't go that far yet.
What is visible to a user is one thing but assume the algorithms go much further than you can imagine because they do.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Isn't there a list of people under posts that says "[name] liked this."?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

You guys still got Facebook then?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 6:12pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, but because their algorithms suck you can always just claim “oh, I didn’t see that.”

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, but because their algorithms suck you can always just claim “oh, I didn’t see that.”
It isnt about the users experience.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As if Aunt Linda would buy that. After all, chemtrail vaccines cause AOC lesbianism.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 6:36pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It isnt about the users experience.
Dude, I get that they suck for NUMEROUS other reasons, but that’s not germane to what I’m talking about.