Bernie Lyrics

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Hammy
Dirty Punk

Bernie Lyrics

Post by Hammy »

Did Bernie write the lyrics for the first album?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Bernie Lyrics

Post by Heston »

No
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Hammy wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 3:16am
Did Bernie write the lyrics for the first album?
I think Bernie’s input into to lyrics was in the very early days when he gave ideas and suggested what the band write about.
But as Hes said no he didn’t write the lyrics.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 3:42am
No
They're so purely and obviously Strummer's style. Where he does deserve recognition is in the directing the band to write about stuff that matters.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 11:17am
Heston wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 3:42am
No
They're so purely and obviously Strummer's style. Where he does deserve recognition is in the directing the band to write about stuff that matters.
Yeah. It never once would’ve occurred to me to think it was anyone else. Bernie basically just channeled Joe’s talent into a more fruitful direction. Which is no small achievement.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

You sure?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Hammy wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 9:22am
You sure?
Yeah, why?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 9:29am
Hammy wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 9:22am
You sure?
Yeah, why?
Because he’s a fucking idiot.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

You'd imagine after 40 years with so many interviews and articles and documentaries and books that some evidence would have been uncovered by now if such a claim ever had even the merest semblance of fact. The only guy i ever heard suggest it was Geldof and he always had a beef with the clash.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 12:01pm
You'd imagine after 40 years with so many interviews and articles and documentaries and books that some evidence would have been uncovered by now if such a claim ever had even the merest semblance of fact. The only guy i ever heard suggest it was Geldof and he always had a beef with the clash.
Also Bernie has had a long history tenuously taking credit for a lot of things. If he had contributed a single word to Joe's lyrics, I'm sure we would have heard about him having written Deny or something.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 12:23pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Also Bernie has had a long history tenuously taking credit for a lot of things. If he had contributed a single word to Joe's lyrics, I'm sure we would have heard about him having written Deny or something.
...and I'm pretty sure his name would have ended up in the credits.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I wrote all the lyrics to the first album. But credit where credit is due I did borrow Bernie's pen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Reminds me of this from Chris’ book.
Attachments
CE13C121-715C-4A3F-9B1B-9BBE3727B733.jpeg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 12:38pm
Reminds me of this from Chris’ book.
Ha yes!
Attachments
20200721_174743.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 12:23pm
Low Down Low wrote:
That too. No problem believing Bernie was influential as regards content, Kevin Rowland acknowledged the same with early Dexys, but the notion that great writers like Strummer and Rowland actually needed Bernie to write them too is risible. I think Bernie was good at coming up with ideas, but not applying them. Like Specials going to France or Clash busking tour.