Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 478
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Why did Mick walk away from the second album The Carbon Bubble ?

I might be one of the only few that actually really like this album and have heard a vocal opinion of most were disappointment in it. a popular view was i heard that Mich wasn't involved with it by the end leaving too much for Tony to carry on his own. If that is the case i thought a really good job was done by Tony as i have been playing it this morning and thoroughly enjoying it

But what i really would like to know why did Mick abandon the album ? and was this reason that lead to the final break up of the band ?

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15895
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Silent Majority »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 5:26am
Why did Mick walk away from the second album The Carbon Bubble ?

I might be one of the only few that actually really like this album and have heard a vocal opinion of most were disappointment in it. a popular view was i heard that Mich wasn't involved with it by the end leaving too much for Tony to carry on his own. If that is the case i thought a really good job was done by Tony as i have been playing it this morning and thoroughly enjoying it

But what i really would like to know why did Mick abandon the album ? and was this reason that lead to the final break up of the band ?
When C/S stopped being a going concern, I thought back to the Beautiful South's statement that they were splitting due to "musical similarities."
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 478
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 8:23am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 5:26am
Why did Mick walk away from the second album The Carbon Bubble ?

I might be one of the only few that actually really like this album and have heard a vocal opinion of most were disappointment in it. a popular view was i heard that Mich wasn't involved with it by the end leaving too much for Tony to carry on his own. If that is the case i thought a really good job was done by Tony as i have been playing it this morning and thoroughly enjoying it

But what i really would like to know why did Mick abandon the album ? and was this reason that lead to the final break up of the band ?
When C/S stopped being a going concern, I thought back to the Beautiful South's statement that they were splitting due to "musical similarities."
At the beginning the band always used to say it was there differences that made them work so well together ie carbon on Mick side and silicon on Tony side .
Are you thinking that they became too similar for them to work well together any more ?
I have to admit it is intriguing the way it all stopped so suddenly even Tony announcing at the last gig see you all at casino 8 which obviously never happened.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21771
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by 101Walterton »

I thought they were doing CS for fun, 2 old friends mucking about and making music together.

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 478
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by NoMoreHugh »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 5:49pm
I thought they were doing CS for fun, 2 old friends mucking about and making music together.
Yeah they did say that at the beginning but i thought over time that changed well it seemed that way to me regarding Tony especially.
If you consider 8 years of being in a band together is a very long time longer than the clash , coupled with two official albums with probably close to a 100 songs written. The amount of gigs they did as well it feels to me a hell of a lot of invested time thats just for a a bit of fun .

but you got me thinking if it is something to do with Mick having to deal with record companies may have taken the fun out of it for him.

For me it was a very sudden and unannounced finish

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1763
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 478
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by NoMoreHugh »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB

What a shame Mick isn't writing songs and performing anymore.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15895
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Silent Majority »

Good tunes on that one, lyrics were seemingly dashed off by a stoned teen on the bus to a party.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29259
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Flex »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
This is interesting insight, appreciate it. I always wondered why C/S sort of went out with a whimper around that time.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 10:36am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
This is interesting insight, appreciate it. I always wondered why C/S sort of went out with a whimper around that time.

Yeah. It was a shame. C/S never quite hit the heights I wanted it to, but it was a lot of fun, satisfying music that suddenly seemed to implode.

I’m still so damn annoyed they had to cancel the show I had tickets for. I’ve still yet to see a member of the clash in person and it seems I probably never will at this point.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1763
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 10:26am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB

What a shame Mick isn't writing songs and performing anymore.
Mick has written and recorded several songs. I just don’t know at this point if he’ll ever release them.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33740
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:12pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 10:26am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB

What a shame Mick isn't writing songs and performing anymore.
Mick has written and recorded several songs. I just don’t know at this point if he’ll ever release them.
It's a damn shame because loads of people would love to hear what Mick is doing. I'd love to think he had a debut solo album to give us before he permanently retired. He was in such good voice on that BAD reunion, but then things seemed to grind to a halt creatively. But hey, Mick's earned his spurs, he has a right to put his feet up eternally.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21771
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:20pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:12pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 10:26am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB

What a shame Mick isn't writing songs and performing anymore.
Mick has written and recorded several songs. I just don’t know at this point if he’ll ever release them.
It's a damn shame because loads of people would love to hear what Mick is doing. I'd love to think he had a debut solo album to give us before he permanently retired. He was in such good voice on that BAD reunion, but then things seemed to grind to a halt creatively. But hey, Mick's earned his spurs, he has a right to put his feet up by the fire eternally.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:33pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:20pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 7:12pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 10:26am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:27am
True that Mick wasn’t very happy with the Carbon Bubble. The finances and business issues, unforeseen in the early days of making music on a laptop with uncleared samples and putting it online for free, did complicate matters. Mick would likely have chosen to keep it unreleased, but the settlement with the management company (in which company boss Elton John quite admirably directed his people to completely forgive the band’s significant debt — Incurred mainly on tour), it was decided to take a digital release. There were other factors, including band personnel changes, the manager Clive having personal problems, wives and girlfriends, egos, the usual. And yes, this settlement effectively ended the band, though not immediately,

I really like The Best Man.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB

What a shame Mick isn't writing songs and performing anymore.
Mick has written and recorded several songs. I just don’t know at this point if he’ll ever release them.
It's a damn shame because loads of people would love to hear what Mick is doing. I'd love to think he had a debut solo album to give us before he permanently retired. He was in such good voice on that BAD reunion, but then things seemed to grind to a halt creatively. But hey, Mick's earned his spurs, he has a right to put his feet up by the fire eternally.
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29259
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Blowing Carbon Bubbles

Post by Flex »

LMAO
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply