Bernie Lyrics

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Bernie Lyrics

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 5:37am
white man wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 4:34am
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 11:42am
This:

"'Cause rockin' the the knocking
Of the beating in my vein
Is heightening the frightening
So life don't seem the same
Don't need the poking toking
Of the snuff-it-stuff-it game
To get a sheet of lightning
For the inside of my brain"

is so obviously from the same pen as this:

"Friday or Saturday, what does that mean?
Short space of time needs a heavy scene
Monday is coming like a jail on wheels
So tell me an' I'll take the tube
You know a girl, yeah well she's gotta be rude
Can't get nothing at the places I've been
Forty-eight hours needs forty-eight
I've combed this town from top to bottom"
Chalk and Cheese
You don't think they are from the same hand or just one set of lyrics is better?

I think the lyrics to "Letsagetabitarockin'" are brilliant especially being written a year or so before punk changed the landscape.

Plus that line in 48 Hours "Monday's coming like a jail on wheels" is straight out of The 101er's lyric book.
I think the clash lyrics are better, snappier and more focussed, but thats just the natural development of a writer honing his craft and getting tighter and better. I don't think joe ever stopped improving as a lyric writer up until day he died tbh.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
This:

Chalk and Cheese
You don't think they are from the same hand or just one set of lyrics is better?

I think the lyrics to "Letsagetabitarockin'" are brilliant especially being written a year or so before punk changed the landscape.

Plus that line in 48 Hours "Monday's coming like a jail on wheels" is straight out of The 101er's lyric book.
I think the clash lyrics are better, snappier and more focussed, but thats just the natural development of a writer honing his craft and getting tighter and better. I don't think joe ever stopped improving as a lyric writer up until day he died tbh.
Oh I don't argue that but both are great serving the tune they are played on really great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:40am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
This:

Chalk and Cheese

Oh I don't argue that but both are great serving the tune they are played on really great.
Yeah agree on that, the progression is obvious which was of course the point being made.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 7:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:

Chalk and Cheese

Yeah agree on that, the progression is obvious which was of course the point being made.
Yes I take your point but I'm not so sure I agree that it's necessarily a progression. You have to take into account that The 101er's were a high octane R'n'B and R'n'R group matched only by Dr. Feelgood. So those lyrics were written for that music. Which interestingly was some of the music The Clash themselves chose to play when they got more proficient on their instruments and reached London Calling.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 7:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 7:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes I take your point but I'm not so sure I agree that it's necessarily a progression. You have to take into account that The 101er's were a high octane R'n'B and R'n'R group matched only by Dr. Feelgood. So those lyrics were written for that music. Which interestingly was some of the music The Clash themselves chose to play when they got more proficient on their instruments and reached London Calling.
Fair point, i suppose progression just in terms of subject matter which is where bernies influence would come in. I've always loved Dr Feelgood, ever since i heard Milk & Alcohol as a kid. I thought they were one of the best bands around at the time, pub rock or otherwise.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 8:24am

I've always loved Dr Feelgood, ever since i heard Milk & Alcohol as a kid. I thought they were one of the best bands around at the time, pub rock or otherwise.
Maybe because I'm a bit older than you and had heard Wilco in Dr. Feelgood first that I prefer things like 'Roxette;, 'Back In The Night' and 'She Does It Right' and was a bit disappointed when the new line-up released 'Down At The Doctor's', 'As Long As The Price Is Right' and their hit, 'Milk And Alcohol' After that they really went off my radar.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

dave202 wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 8:49am
Low Down Low wrote:

I've always loved Dr Feelgood, ever since i heard Milk & Alcohol as a kid. I thought they were one of the best bands around at the time, pub rock or otherwise.
Maybe because I'm a bit older than you and had heard Wilco in Dr. Feelgood first that I prefer things like 'Roxette;, 'Back In The Night' and 'She Does It Right' and was a bit disappointed when the new line-up released 'Down At The Doctor's', 'As Long As The Price Is Right' and their hit, 'Milk And Alcohol' After that they really went off my radar.
The early stuff is definitely better but i wouldn't have been aware of it at the time. It's the live stuff I'd listen to most, Stupidity or the bbc sessions, both fantastic. Still do love Milk &Alcohol though!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 9:27am
dave202 wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 8:49am
Low Down Low wrote:

The early stuff is definitely better but i wouldn't have been aware of it at the time. It's the live stuff I'd listen to most, Stupidity or the bbc sessions, both fantastic. Still do love Milk &Alcohol though!
Bith those era's of Wilko and Mayo produced some great music. "All Through the City" and "Take a Tip" are two fine examples with the latter mentioning the one and only Mr. Johnny Green.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
This:

Chalk and Cheese

From the same hand mate. The latter is a lot more focused though and actually makes sense to me and resonates a lot more. Like Joe has been focussed himself.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 3:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
This:

Chalk and Cheese

From the same hand mate. The latter is a lot more focused though and actually makes sense to me and resonates a lot more. Like Joe has been focussed himself.
Yes of course mate. Having a subject matter like the weekend is something we can all associate with.

Though reading The 101er's lyric it appears Joe is singing that he has no need for drugs to get him high and that his music will see him through. Almost a anti hippie message pre punk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia