Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 3:57pm
And punk encourages that kind of harsh rejection anyway. Discovering punk meant getting rid of all my old records and changing my clothes and changing my interests. If my shitty town had other punks, I would have changed my friends.
I think you must have been listening to a lot of crap music then. Maybe you just had bad taste. ;)
:lol: Top 40, my friend. A *lot* of crap. Me and Heston would have gotten along a lot better back then. ;)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 3:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And punk encourages that kind of harsh rejection anyway. Discovering punk meant getting rid of all my old records and changing my clothes and changing my interests. If my shitty town had other punks, I would have changed my friends.
I think you must have been listening to a lot of crap music then. Maybe you just had bad taste. ;)
:lol: Top 40, my friend. A *lot* of crap. Me and Heston would have gotten along a lot better back then. ;)
Pre punk I listened to a lot of 60s band's Stones/Beatles/Who/Small Faces/Yardbirds - Glam stuff Slade/Sweet/Bowie/T-Rex/Roxy Music. A lot of the better stuff my mum had. It's odd I never considered for a second how fortunate I was to have access to great stuff in the home.

We would (my brother and I) record most weeks top 40s on a old reel to reel. So yeah plenty of crap as well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Pre punk I listened to a lot of 60s band's Stones/Beatles/Who/Small Faces/Yardbirds - Glam stuff Slade/Sweet/Bowie/T-Rex/Roxy Music. A lot of the better stuff my mum had. It's odd I never considered for a second how fortunate I was to have access to great stuff in the home.

We would (my brother and I) record most weeks top 40s on a old reel to reel. So yeah plenty of crap as well.
My Top 40 was early to mid-80s stuff—including garbage that benefited greatly on Canadian content rules that privileged homegrown "talent"—so not even the great stuff from the 60s that gained mainstream appeal. Funny that I didn't really get into the Beatles until after I found punk. It really expanded my perspective beyond just punk/alternative.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 5:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My Top 40 was early to mid-80s stuff—including garbage that benefited greatly on Canadian content rules that privileged homegrown "talent"—so not even the great stuff from the 60s that gained mainstream appeal. Funny that I didn't really get into the Beatles until after I found punk. It really expanded my perspective beyond just punk/alternative.
I think it's great that punk was supposedly anti Beatles and that was your way in.

I say supposedly because obviously the sound of those Hamburg Beatles is just a blue print for a lot of punk rock.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 5:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think it's great that punk was supposedly anti Beatles and that was your way in.

I say supposedly because obviously the sound of those Hamburg Beatles is just a blue print for a lot of punk rock.
Generally, punk encouraged me to be more curious and to go beyond what was currently popular. I didn't approach the Beatles as classic or oldie so much as stuff that wasn't being listened to by my peers

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 5:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Generally, punk encouraged me to be more curious and to go beyond what was currently popular. I didn't approach the Beatles as classic or oldie so much as stuff that wasn't being listened to by my peers
This is the argument I've had with people for years now. That punk for all it's alleged anti stance to previous era's music the reality is that it helped people find decent stuff. The Damned covererd the Beatles Help the Pistols covered The Who and The Monkees, The Clash borrowed riffs from The Who and The Kinks in turn turning fans onto stuff from the previous era. All that talk of year zero is really nonsense as you have to build your foundation on something solid.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

This is the argument I've had with people for years now. That punk for all it's alleged anti stance to previous era's music the reality is that it helped people find decent stuff. The Damned covererd the Beatles Help the Pistols covered The Who and The Monkees, The Clash borrowed riffs from The Who and The Kinks in turn turning fans onto stuff from the previous era. All that talk of year zero is really nonsense as you have to build your foundation on something solid.
Perhaps it's whether you're drawn to postpunk or stuck to the punk that came after. Postpunk was that "what's next?" that encouraged new ideas and revisiting the past for reinterpretation. Punk, for the next decade or so anyway, kept going year zero to absurd lengths—faster, louder, shorter, anti-melodic. I can appreciate that from an intellectual standpoint, but it mostly does nothing for me to listen to.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Perhaps it's whether you're drawn to postpunk or stuck to the punk that came after. Postpunk was that "what's next?" that encouraged new ideas and revisiting the past for reinterpretation. Punk, for the next decade or so anyway, kept going year zero to absurd lengths—faster, louder, shorter, anti-melodic. I can appreciate that from an intellectual standpoint, but it mostly does nothing for me to listen to.
Some band's depending on which scene they were from then yes I agree.

My two personal faves from that period being Husker Du and The Replacements started out raucous and became more and more melodic. Much like the punk bands from England who I admire Clash/SLF/Damned and so on.

I think a lot of groups veered away from punk as they became more proficient on there instruments. You either got stuck in a rut going bang bang bang night after night or you harnessed that power and moved on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 4:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

My two personal faves from that period being Husker Du and The Replacements started out raucous and became more and more melodic. Much like the punk bands from England who I admire Clash/SLF/Damned and so on.

I think a lot of groups veered away from punk as they became more proficient on there instruments. You either got stuck in a rut going bang bang bang night after night or you harnessed that power and moved on.
Right—the more interesting bands came to see the hardcore ideal as restrictive and an artistic cul de sac. Others were the Exploited.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 6:49am
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 4:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Right—the more interesting bands came to see the hardcore ideal as restrictive and an artistic cul de sac. Others were the Exploited.
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Not sure I'm tracking this argument. Almost sounds like you're saying the exploited aren't good, but that doesn't make any sense.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 10:26am
Not sure I'm tracking this argument. Almost sounds like you're saying the exploited aren't good, but that doesn't make any sense.
Strictly speaking, I implied they aren't interesting.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

49) The Dead Zone - Stephen King. 1979. Paperback. It's been a while since I've read a King (just over a year, my notes tell me, actually) and longer since I've done one from his golden age. This was my first read of the Dead Zone and also the first time I brought what I learnt from writing my novel to one of his books - which is an interesting one, cos as a teen he was the Writemaster General, a man who can do no wrong. That means holding a paperback with his name on it is total comfort food but that's pleasantly mixed with the enjoying the storytelling as I ever did when I was younger and being able to watch the mechanics, the hydraulics of the narrative, as they move. There's sentences that I would have edited out (one like feeling he had a bladder full of hot blood, and a reference to "that novel Carrie" that lands with an audible thump) but on the whole it's just like picking up the guitar to strum along with songs that you love, and then learning the songs without the record accompanying them. You get inside the work and gain a greater appreciation for the creative act that birthed it. President Stillson was always an American inevitability which gives 70s King an air of prescience in 2020. It really is a very good novel about getting better after a coma. I'm probably (damn you nerd brain) probably now going to cross off the rest of the man's oeuvre that I've yet to read in order.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

50) Tomb of Dracula #1 - 25 - Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan. Comic. 1972 - 1975. Marvel Dracula is pretty much the definitive take on the character, easily kicking Stoker's novel and all the films to the curb. Arrogant, self obsessed, grandiloquent, forever being bettered by his perceived inferiors (at one point, a fucking mountain goat!) and with a healthy dose of charm, he's as compelling an anti-hero as you could ask for. The highlights include the artwork which is beautiful and in the EC comics tradition, the first appearance of a very blaxpoitation Blade, and the delight of the plotting, like the endless sequels you always wished for. Man, I love this shit so much.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 10:26am
Good at what...being bad?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia