Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 3:07pm
How are people handling wearing masks? I'm surprised to find I have trouble getting enough oxygen. I don't think it's a type of claustrophobia—I'm not in any other way—but, man, I really have to take things slow when I have a mask on.
It depends on the mask. I have one that was given to me from a coalition partner for the Medicaid expansion campaign and it is super comfy. I also have a Depeche Mode one that is not. And there are variations in between.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 3:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
How are people handling wearing masks? I'm surprised to find I have trouble getting enough oxygen. I don't think it's a type of claustrophobia—I'm not in any other way—but, man, I really have to take things slow when I have a mask on.
I'm claustrophobic, and it does bother me a little bit, but only because I know I just can't take it off when my brain screams to do so, so I make my trips to the store quick. My biggest problem is my glasses fogging up. I'm practically blind so I can't go without them.
I believe they make some sort of nose clips which help with that, I saw somebody recommending them a couple days ago.

As for me, it's uncomfortable, but overall a minor sacrifice.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 4:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It depends on the mask. I have one that was given to me from a coalition partner for the Medicaid expansion campaign and it is super comfy. I also have a Depeche Mode one that is not. And there are variations in between.
If I went out more, I'd probably investigate other fabrics, like what BBE posted, but other than a grocery run every four or five days, I can probably survive.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Well, we all had to get tested for covid yesterday. VH, jr. has been going to a bare bones day camp at out synagogue (there are 6 kids in his group, they wear masks and are six feet apart at all times, they don't interact with the other groups, etc). One of his counselors tested positive. None of us have symptoms, so we are keeping fingers crossed. It was not a pleasant experience. VH has actually had it done three times now - once when his boss was positive, once when he had to go to the hospital for an issue with his ileostomy (everything is fine with that) and this time.

Evidently, the health department and the doctor's group at the synagogue (shocking that there's a doctor's group at a synagogue, I know) said the camp can go on, just not with VH, jr.'s group. We have been very careful otherwise ourselves, but I think this was a big eye opener.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 10:23am
Well, we all had to get tested for covid yesterday. VH, jr. has been going to a bare bones day camp at out synagogue (there are 6 kids in his group, they wear masks and are six feet apart at all times, they don't interact with the other groups, etc). One of his counselors tested positive. None of us have symptoms, so we are keeping fingers crossed. It was not a pleasant experience. VH has actually had it done three times now - once when his boss was positive, once when he had to go to the hospital for an issue with his ileostomy (everything is fine with that) and this time.

Evidently, the health department and the doctor's group at the synagogue (shocking that there's a doctor's group at a synagogue, I know) said the camp can go on, just not with VH, jr.'s group. We have been very careful otherwise ourselves, but I think this was a big eye opener.
Holding on to positive thoughts for all of you. It's a shitty virus. Im really concerned about the plans for the upcoming school year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Obligatory joke: Their mothers must be so proud!

More serious: Odds are still good for y'all, but fingers crossed and positive thoughts for you and your family.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:

Oh geez. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yikes, fingers crossed for you Mrs. B. Very scary but as Doc says, the odds are still in your favor. Crazy that VH has had to get 3 tests now.

My mother runs a non-profit that oversees childcare in her area, and one of the area preschools (the most underfunded that serves the poorest demographics in the area, naturally) is having to shut down several of their classrooms already since openings June 1 because of symptomatic teachers with tests outstanding. The preschool had to call all the families and just let them know anyone in those classes doesn't have childcare anymore for at least a couple of weeks. The is going to be a rolling issue until there's a vaccine, what a shit show.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

We on't call you guys the Bullet-ducking Bernsteins for nothing. I have faith that your crew with be OK.

I have no idea what the school year is going to look like this Fall. My sister teaches 1st grand and they have no idea what they're going to do. The lack of leadership in this country is going to kill us.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 11:52am
We on't call you guys the Bullet-ducking Bernsteins for nothing. I have faith that your crew with be OK.

I have no idea what the school year is going to look like this Fall. My sister teaches 1st grand and they have no idea what they're going to do. The lack of leadership in this country is going to kill us.
It's awful. I have no idea what my kids are going to do in fall. We've had several neighboring districts announce they're opening back up. My partner teaches for Milwaukee Public Schools (biggest district in state) and they're going virtual for at least 30 days (which has made her very happy). They did a survey in my district, but have yet to release any guidance. I have no idea how to plan...which is especially tough as I'll need to figure out childcare if they don't go back.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

JennyB wrote:

Oh boy, hope it's nothing, JB.
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:01pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 11:52am

It's awful. I have no idea what my kids are going to do in fall. We've had several neighboring districts announce they're opening back up. My partner teaches for Milwaukee Public Schools (biggest district in state) and they're going virtual for at least 30 days (which has made her very happy). They did a survey in my district, but have yet to release any guidance. I have no idea how to plan...which is especially tough as I'll need to figure out childcare if they don't go back.
The school situation is blowing my mind. I understand there are huge childcare issues for working parents, but surely it's within every government's ability to divert some funding and resources to sort that out? And I don't understand how reopening schools in regions where the virus has not been semi-contained is at all a priority. Like, would you send your kids to school if three-fifths of the building was on fire?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:22pm
Like, would you send your kids to school if three-fifths of the building was on fire?
you would (send your employees' kids into the fire) if the alternative threatened the quarterly earnings report

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:24pm
Inder wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:22pm
Like, would you send your kids to school if three-fifths of the building was on fire?
you would (send your employees' kids into the fire) if the alternative threatened the quarterly earnings report
Ah yes, I forgot the pols are in the pocket of Big Fire.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:29pm
Ah yes, I forgot the pols are in the pocket of Big Fire.
Big Fire almost as powerful as Big Coffin these days

Pex Lives!