IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 2:51pm
I've had to dial back the running the last few weeks. Probably overworked myself after the Vail pass run and ended up with some major soreness and leg pain, not surprising since I'm pushing myself quite a bit. Feeling a lot better now after just dialing it down to a few easier, shorter runs per week and am gonna start ramping it back up with a little more attention paid to stretching and such than I'd been doing. So it goes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

It's supposed to be 87 today. I don't know if I'm going to be able to go running since I'm very sensitive to heat and I don't want to have a stroke. But I'm concerned I'll lose endurance if I skip a day.

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:53pm
It's supposed to be 87 today. I don't know if I'm going to be able to go running since I'm very sensitive to heat and I don't want to have a stroke. But I'm concerned I'll lose endurance if I skip a day.
A friend of mine moved to DC this year—his wife is in the Canadian foreign service and his posted there; what luck!—and he's massively pissed off that the summers there make it all but impossible for him to bike.

As fanatical as I am about not wanting to take days off, I was mostly good about not cycling outside when it was crazy hot. Did it a couple times and felt nauseous and realized that it's not worth it. Stay inside and do some push-ups and sit-ups and shit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 1:08pm
Kory wrote:
A friend of mine moved to DC this year—his wife is in the Canadian foreign service and his posted there; what luck!—and he's massively pissed off that the summers there make it all but impossible for him to bike.

As fanatical as I am about not wanting to take days off, I was mostly good about not cycling outside when it was crazy hot. Did it a couple times and felt nauseous and realized that it's not worth it. Stay inside and do some push-ups and sit-ups and shit.
I think you acclimate. I know running on the occasional hot day here is a real chore, so I can't attest to it much, personally.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think you acclimate. I know running on the occasional hot day here is a real chore, so I can't attest to it much, personally.
I've never acclimated to any hot weather place I've lived in. Ottawa and Greensboro aren't that far off, I've found, and I've never gotten used to the heat or humidity. Cold weather ain't nuthin' at all to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 1:41pm
matedog wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I've never acclimated to any hot weather place I've lived in. Ottawa and Greensboro aren't that far off, I've found, and I've never gotten used to the heat or humidity. Cold weather ain't nuthin' at all to me.
Hello,

Acclimatization holds very true. I've trained in a lot of hot places. Additionally, your body will have about 48 hours before you lose some of the catalysts of the processes deteriorate/lessen. The occasional day off shouldn't impact you physiologically. I'm crazy as I let a day off affect me psychologically!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 2:10pm
I'm crazy as I let a day off affect me psychologically!
That's entirely it. It just eats me up. Back when I biked outside exclusively, a day of rain would have me fidgety. The good thing about that, tho, is that you need to have that routine, that sense of needing to do this, for it to really make a difference. The bad side is when you're forced to take time off. When my rower broke I was various shades of livid and despondent because I'm a crazy-ass routine person. If I could avoid the violence of prison life, I could adjust really well to it, I'm sure.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 2:24pm
gkbill wrote:
That's entirely it. It just eats me up. Back when I biked outside exclusively, a day of rain would have me fidgety. The good thing about that, tho, is that you need to have that routine, that sense of needing to do this, for it to really make a difference. The bad side is when you're forced to take time off. When my rower broke I was various shades of livid and despondent because I'm a crazy-ass routine person. If I could avoid the violence of prison life, I could adjust really well to it, I'm sure.
Hello,

If I was training for something specific, I would take a regular day off (when I was training for the Grand Canyon, Sunday was my day off). With no reason to achieve a performance, I just keep going. Being diabetic, it helps my sugars but hurts my performance. My legs are always tired. I'm dealing with it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

If I was training for something specific, I would take a regular day off (when I was training for the Grand Canyon, Sunday was my day off). With no reason to achieve a performance, I just keep going. Being diabetic, it helps my sugars but hurts my performance. My legs are always tired. I'm dealing with it.
Yikes. How does exercise help with blood sugar?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 7:36pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Blood sugar is glucose. When you exercise, glucose is your fuel for higher intensity work (fat is the predominant fuel for lower intensity work). Insulin is the key that unlocks the muscle and lets glucose in to be burned in the transfer of energy from ATP breaking down into ADP. One of the causes of fatigue is glucose depletion. This is why gatorade/powerade/whatever is useful after ~60 minutes of exercise. I have to make sure I don't have too much sugar in my blood (blood gets too thick and doesn't flow quickly or easily) my workouts suck or too little blood sugar (a result of dripping too much insulin in my system) means I get really loopy and lose functionality. It's a balancing act a healthy pancreas (which I'm lacking) handles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 7:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Blood sugar is glucose. When you exercise, glucose is your fuel for higher intensity work (fat is the predominant fuel for lower intensity work). Insulin is the key that unlocks the muscle and lets glucose in to be burned in the transfer of energy from ATP breaking down into ADP. One of the causes of fatigue is glucose depletion. This is why gatorade/powerade/whatever is useful after ~60 minutes of exercise. I have to make sure I don't have too much sugar in my blood (blood gets too thick and doesn't flow quickly or easily) my workouts suck or too little blood sugar (a result of dripping too much insulin in my system) means I get really loopy and lose functionality. It's a balancing act a healthy pancreas (which I'm lacking) handles.
My respect for you and your exercise work (physical and intellectual) just went up a couple notches. Finding balance can be hard enough but then adding the intensity of exercise is a whole 'nother level. But given your profession you're especially in good position to know the ins and outs of your condition with respect to exercise.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Impressive mate full respect to you.
Is that Type 1 diabetes?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 8:36pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Is that Type 1 diabetes?
Hello,

Yes. I'm using a pump. It's the best treatment I've had. No real issues. I can eat anything - just press a few buttons. It doesn't inhibit me athletically - only age does!!!!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 8:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Is that Type 1 diabetes?
Hello,

Yes. I'm using a pump. It's the best treatment I've had. No real issues. I can eat anything - just press a few buttons. It doesn't inhibit me athletically - only age does!!!!
So many of the kids at my son’s school have it it is incredible. I think there were 3 in one basketball team. It certainly doesn’t hold them back.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 9:26pm
gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 8:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Is that Type 1 diabetes?
Hello,

So many of the kids at my son’s school have it it is incredible. I think there were 3 in one basketball team. It certainly doesn’t hold them back.
Hello,

Nope. Kids are resilient! As long as the coach has gatorade or some source of sugar around, no problem!