The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
I do have to pick up Black Market Clash, however.
If you can find the Drastic Plastic reissue of BMC for a decent price (it's going for $37+ on discogs), snatch it up. They're the best punk reissue label around, and did a great job on this one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 3:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
I do have to pick up Black Market Clash, however.
If you can find the Drastic Plastic reissue of BMC for a decent price (it's going for $37+ on discogs), snatch it up. They're the best punk reissue label around, and did a great job on this one.
Shouldn't be too difficult to find an original 10" or 12" copy. Or the 3 x 10" version issued in '99. Though I've no idea how that latter version sounds on vinyl. The '99 remasters were not that great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Looking on eBay at the price of vinyl copies of BMC, it's stunning that in the 90s, selling vinyl was definitely a buyer's market. A pretty good illustration of the irrationality of the market. Vinyl is vinyl, but what was all-but-worthless three decades ago now often costs more than the cd edition.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 6:39pm
Looking on eBay at the price of vinyl copies of BMC, it's stunning that in the 90s, selling vinyl was definitely a buyer's market. A pretty good illustration of the irrationality of the market. Vinyl is vinyl, but what was all-but-worthless three decades ago now often costs more than the cd edition.
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where I've gotten pretty choosy about vinyl. I usually only buy all-analog vinyl, special masterings or special deluxe/whatever sets of particular interest. But I don't wanna spend 40 bucks or whatever on a record that's digitally recorded and mastered anyways and I can get on CD for a buck or whatever (or free, streaming). I've been enjoying CDs as a buyer's market, especially since I got a really nice audiophile CD player a couple years back.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 12:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 11:20am
Got drunk last night and emboldened by the idea that I was celebrating my return to work I bought both GEER and Sandinista on vinyl. They were the only ones I did not already have on LP (I grew up in the post vinyl world).
I remember buying GEER back in the day and it was really easy getting it home as it was a bit light weight. But getting Sandinista! home was a bit of a burden. ;)
A difference still noted in their respective shipping costs 😉.
Shipping cost used to be half fare on bus.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 7:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 12:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 11:20am
Got drunk last night and emboldened by the idea that I was celebrating my return to work I bought both GEER and Sandinista on vinyl. They were the only ones I did not already have on LP (I grew up in the post vinyl world).
I remember buying GEER back in the day and it was really easy getting it home as it was a bit light weight. But getting Sandinista! home was a bit of a burden. ;)
A difference still noted in their respective shipping costs 😉.
Shipping cost used to be half fare on bus.
My little joke at GEER being light weight. Getting it home in the brain S! took some time. But it's my fave Clash album now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Short but new to me...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 12:38pm
Short but new to me...

New to me also. Obviously when Simo joined PiL for their live in Tokyo album. ;)

Cheers for sharing mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

There's a great Spanish all-girl group Hinds. They just put out a nice cover of Spanish Bombs:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 9:31am
There's a great Spanish all-girl group Hinds. They just put out a nice cover of Spanish Bombs:
Very cool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 12:34pm
matedog wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 9:31am
Very cool.
I especially like hearing the Spanish words and names in enthusiastically proper Spanish. I remember wincing a bit when I first heard the original version only to find out that Spaniards seem to care a lot less about Joe's pronunciation than I do!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Of all the Clash fade outs, I wish I could hear Stay Free right to the end of the take. It sounds like really interesting shit is happening just as it ends. Micks lead is great and there's this weird little acoustic guitar riff which never appears in the song til then.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 6:37pm
Of all the Clash fade outs, I wish I could hear Stay Free right to the end of the take. It sounds like really interesting shit is happening just as it ends. Micks lead is great and there's this weird little acoustic guitar riff which never appears in the song til then.
Never noticed that random little acoustic thing at the end. Almost seems like a mistake.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 6:56pm
Heston wrote:
Never noticed that random little acoustic thing at the end. Almost sseems like a mistake.
Yes it does seems totally random. I just wish the jam had gone on a little longer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 7:00pm
matedog wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 6:56pm
Heston wrote:
Never noticed that random little acoustic thing at the end. Almost sseems like a mistake.
Yes it does seems totally random. I just wish the jam had gone on a little longer.
I suppose it probably all fell to pieces shortly after the fade, which necessitated the fade. Ouroboros.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc